A&H

Wet Spam v City

I agree that that isn't conclusive, but VAR isn't watching one screen, the have multiple screens so they can the ball being kicked on one, and the offside line on another.

The technology is good, but it's how they show that the the general public that needs work.

Not sure I agree that the tech is good

I certainly agree that how they show it needs work

The Referee Store
Not sure I agree that the tech is good

I certainly agree that how they show it needs work
Aside from higher definition cameras, or cameras which are constantly inline with the offside line I don't think the technology can improve much more.

You're always going to need a human to sit in a room somewhere and make the decision.

The Guardian yesterday said of the disallowed goal, "Hear that hissing sound? It's the sound of the spirit going out of the game".

Is there a new definition of where shoulder ends and arm starts?

And is it really fair that a player wearing a size 11 boot should be onside but he'd be offside if wearing 11 and a half?

Aside from higher definition cameras, or cameras which are constantly inline with the offside line I don't think the technology can improve much more.

You're always going to need a human to sit in a room somewhere and make the decision.

Higher definition/frame rate cameras would be a great start!

We warned that once you opened the VAR box you can’t close the lid, just wait till it robs a team of something important! The legal beagles will be all over it like a rash!

Reactions: es1
I think the offside line would be much easier to see on TV if they changed the law to only consider feet for offside rather than the player's whole body (except the arms) because feet are almost always on/near the ground, and that's where the offside line is drawn (on the ground).

I think the offside line would be much easier to see on TV if they changed the law to only consider feet for offside rather than the player's whole body (except the arms) because feet are almost always on/near the ground, and that's where the offside line is drawn (on the ground).

An interesting idea. You'll still end up with mm decisions either way mind.

Perhaps technology (gps chips in boots?) Could further help

We warned that once you opened the VAR box you can’t close the lid, just wait till it robs a team of something important! The legal beagles will be all over it like a rash!

How is it going to rob somebody of something?

VAR does not make any decisions at all, they make a recommendation, like an AR, but the final decision is made by the referee.

There won't be any legal beagles over anything, as if they were going to do it over an incorrect decision made by the referee following a VAR review they'd have been over it last season, when referees and/or ARs were making decisions which cost teams matches.

An interesting idea. You'll still end up with mm decisions either way mind.

Perhaps technology (gps chips in boots?) Could further help

I know it's probably tongue in cheek, but GPS isn't accurate enough. Even GPS used by the military can be out by a few hundred meters (depending on the number of satellites available)

I know it's probably tongue in cheek, but GPS isn't accurate enough. Even GPS used by the military can be out by a few hundred meters (depending on the number of satellites available)

You are of course right, just a term I know and everyone is familiar with! But if we can do it with the ball for glt using only cameras we could do something similar for players boots? 22 vs 1 obviously but all comes down to technology!

How is it going to rob somebody of something?

VAR does not make any decisions at all, they make a recommendation, like an AR, but the final decision is made by the referee.

There won't be any legal beagles over anything, as if they were going to do it over an incorrect decision made by the referee following a VAR review they'd have been over it last season, when referees and/or ARs were making decisions which cost teams matches.
So the referee yesterday could have said "that's too fine a line and the technology isn't good enough so I'm giving benefit of doubt to the attacker - goal". Yeah, sure it was his decision.

Even GLT is accurate only to a certain precision (as Newcastle found out against Spurs last season). Ideally, VAR hopefully will automate offside decisions in the future. Crucially involving a factor of error. The Sterling thing was stupid
On the whole, it sounds like VAR made a reasonable entry to the PL yesterday. The biggest league in the world will hopefully improve on FIFA's dim efforts; setting a precedent for FIFA to reluctantly swallow like a serrated knife

Even GLT is accurate only to a certain precision (as Newcastle found out against Spurs last season). Ideally, VAR hopefully will automate offside decisions in the future. Crucially involving a factor of error. The Sterling thing was stupid
On the whole, it sounds like VAR made a reasonable entry to the PL yesterday. The biggest league in the world will hopefully improve on FIFA's dim efforts; setting a precedent for FIFA to reluctantly swallow like a serrated knife

Not sure I recall the spurs Newcastle game? What happened?

What about the fans, gamblers robbed of money from bets, microfine subjective decisions for a referee who was stood in the centre circle waiting to kick off, MD certainly thought it was a goal!

So the referee yesterday could have said "that's too fine a line and the technology isn't good enough so I'm giving benefit of doubt to the attacker - goal". Yeah, sure it was his decision.

So do you as a referee make it a habit to over rule your ARs because it was too close, or if they flag for offside do you go with them?

I didn't see all of this match, just caught the last couple of minutes on MOTD.

Which offsides did you think we're incorrect?

We've discussed this before, no way can the operator freeze the frame at the exact conatct with the ball by the player making the pass.

The resoloution/technology just isn't there. Like with the naked eye the 'unwritten rule' of benefit to the attacker should apply in calls THAT close IMHO.

Reactions: es1
Back