A&H

Wet Spam v City

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
VAR was first called on when Gabriel Jesus appeared to have put City 3-0 up midway through the second half, only for Raheem Sterling to be ruled fractionally offside in the build-up.
After Sterling added City's third, a moment also reviewed for possible offside, the system then awarded the visitors a penalty retake after Sergio Aguero's tame effort was saved by Lukasz Fabianski but Declan Rice was deemed to have encroached into the area......

Can’t wait to see that one tonight!

The Referee Store
Both teams encroached:

Penalty missed -> Retake.
Penalty scored -> Would NOT have been retaken.

Fair?
Yes. If a goal is scored no one gains any advantage. If it is missed attackers or defenders can get to the ball before their opponent if they encroach. It is impossible to say which way so a retake is the fair outcome given that both teams offend and so neither could be awarded any restart

Both teams encroached:

Penalty missed -> Retake.
Penalty scored -> Would NOT have been retaken.

Fair?

The issue was rice, who encroached, cleared the ball which is exactly what the FA said they would penalise beforethe season.

Sterling offside for the Jesus goal is offside by mm. That is if you can be sure the lines are drawn at the right place...And if the right frame is chosen when the pass was made...

Impossible to say if that is the case and always will be with current technology, VAR implementation and offside law

Yes. If a goal is scored no one gains any advantage. If it is missed attackers or defenders can get to the ball before their opponent if they encroach. It is impossible to say which way so a retake is the fair outcome given that both teams offend and so neither could be awarded any restart

The law states the penalty must be retaken if both teams encroach but VAR is only used to penalise the defending team. Not fair.

The law states the penalty must be retaken if both teams encroach but VAR is only used to penalise the defending team. Not fair.
Is it? So are you saying that if it was Sterling that got their first and he smashed home a goal it wouldn't be retaken? I doubt that would be the case...

Is it? So are you saying that if it was Sterling that got their first and he smashed home a goal it wouldn't be retaken? I doubt that would be the case...

In this hypothetical scenario:
- If Sterling had encroached, the penalty would rightly be retaken.
- If Sterling had not encroached but a teammate of his did encroach, the goal would be awarded despite the law requiring a retake.

It is only fair to apply the law all of the time and for VAR to disallow illegally scored goals all of the time.

In this hypothetical scenario:
- If Sterling had encroached, the penalty would rightly be retaken.
- If Sterling had not encroached but a teammate of his did encroach, the goal would be awarded despite the law requiring a retake.

It is only fair to apply the law all of the time and for VAR to disallow illegally scored goals all of the time.
It would actually be an IDFK. I said retake by mistake.
Tbh it makes sense. If a players encroachment has no impact on the play why go looking for problems that don't exist.

Defender encroached, penalty was missed, referee ordered a retake.

Absolutely the correct decision as prescribed by the laws of the game whether VAR is in use or not.

We'll see this sort of stuff for a few weeks, then players will learn that they're going to get caught trying things like that, so they'll stop doing it.

VAR helped reach the correct decision, I don't see what the problem is.

Defender encroached, penalty was missed, referee ordered a retake.

Absolutely the correct decision as prescribed by the laws of the game whether VAR is in use or not.

We'll see this sort of stuff for a few weeks, then players will learn that they're going to get caught trying things like that, so they'll stop doing it.

VAR helped reach the correct decision, I don't see what the problem is.

You're right, it was correct and it will change how players behave at penalties. Were the offsides correct, I'm not sure about that...

The biggest problem I see is still cosmetic, we need to get the communication right

Sticking checking goal/red card etc on a big screen isn't enough. We need to tell the fans exactly why the decision has been made.

Player No. 7 offside in build up to goal.

Player No. 14 encroachment on penalty kick

I don't see how VAR could be less accurate than just having ARs calling offside.

I do think that the approach to VAR should be more like Rugby, where fans can see what is being reviewed on the big screen.

I don't see how VAR could be less accurate than just having ARs calling offside.

I do think that the approach to VAR should be more like Rugby, where fans can see what is being reviewed on the big screen.

I just think there's huge objectivity in which frame the VAR chooses to use and where they draw the line for offside. A few mm or a frame out can be the difference

I just think there's huge objectivity in which frame the VAR chooses to use and where they draw the line for offside. A few mm or a frame out can be the difference

I didn't see all of this match, just caught the last couple of minutes on MOTD.

Which offsides did you think we're incorrect?

I didn't see all of this match, just caught the last couple of minutes on MOTD.

Which offsides did you think we're incorrect?

I don't necessarily think either were incorrect. I just just don't think, even with the technology available, for two decisions so tight, we can ever be sure that two different VARs will come to the same conclusions about which frame to use and where to draw the line.

I don't necessarily think either were incorrect. I just just don't think, even with the technology available, for two decisions so tight, we can ever be sure that two different VARs will come to the same conclusions about which frame to use and where to draw the line.
The same can be said for two ARs, for tight decisions different ARs will come to different conclusions

The same can be said for two ARs, for tight decisions different ARs will come to different conclusions

Of course

But were assuming the tech we have is 100% accurate at the moment, it's not. There's no margin for error assumed when I think there needs to be.

I agree that that isn't conclusive, but VAR isn't watching one screen, the have multiple screens so they can the ball being kicked on one, and the offside line on another.

The technology is good, but it's how they show that the the general public that needs work.

Back