A&H

Wet Spam v City

Can we have a separate thread to keep the Pub League team supporting members up to speed with all things VAR! 😂

The Referee Store
I don't believe that level of GK encroachment would have been penalised in previous years and I see no reason why it needs to be now. It's so negligible that it doesn't materially impact. Whereas the encroachment clearly impacted as Rice was the first player to get to the ball
"So negligible"? Like VAR offsides?

Of course it wouldn't have been penalised in previous years. The law has been changed - has it been changed especially so that we can disregard the new wording like we disregarded the old wording?

VAR does check for goalkeeper infringements, as was shown in the women's world cup.

Was 5-0 not enough for you, was it all a big conspiracy to stop City getting 6?

Behave yourself, the keeper was off his line, and the defender encroached, you got your retake and the goal, so why are you complaining?

Keep up. The Premier League VAR isn't checking for GK infringements.

Now if you can lay off the conspiracy nonsense - I'm quite capable of coming up with my own anti-City conspiracies - explain for me why the PL isn't using VAR for goalkeeper infringement.

Keep up. The Premier League VAR isn't checking for GK infringements.

Now if you can lay off the conspiracy nonsense - I'm quite capable of coming up with my own anti-City conspiracies - explain for me why the PL isn't using VAR for goalkeeper infringement.
No idea, I didn't realise that the premier League were allowed to make up their own laws, or ignore parts of the laws that they don't like.

Like offside, a keeper coming of their line is a binary choice, they have either come off of their line and committed an offence, or, they haven't.

I don't see how the Premier League could let that slide, as that is one thing that VAR would be perfect for.

Unlike FIFA's attempts to mar the WWC, PGMOL will not police the GK's position on PKs pedantically
VAR doesn't give them that luxury.

A keeper is either off their line before the ball is kicked, or they aren't.

At the level most of us work at it can be difficult to tell, especially on your own when you also need to watch for outfield players encroaching.

But in the premier League with a referee, assistant and video assistant they have no excuse to let things like slide.

They should either enforce all the laws correctly, or not use VAR

A question on the Sterling general offside one here.

Offside is judged by the furthest part of the body of the attacking player that you can score a goal with so looking at the Sterling one its i think his shoulder.

What part of the defenders body is considered, can it be his arm even though hes not trying to score or is it again a part of the body you can legally score with and makes no difference if attacker or defender.

VAR doesn't give them that luxury.

A keeper is either off their line before the ball is kicked, or they aren't.

At the level most of us work at it can be difficult to tell, especially on your own when you also need to watch for outfield players encroaching.

But in the premier League with a referee, assistant and video assistant they have no excuse to let things like slide.

They should either enforce all the laws correctly, or not use VAR
The PGMOL have stated that they will not police this as stringently (echoing @bloovee). So they can and are doing this, just like they're not wasting time and creating pantomime with the pitch side monitor

Last edited:
Just getting this straight - how far is a pedant in centimetres? How many "pedants" will an encroaching player be allowed to get away with?
Dunno. I was thinking, why can't VAR do X-Rays? That way, we would categorically know where arm meets the shoulder

This VAR creates more £&@llocks than us lot £&@king up on our own and no one noticing! It’s just organised guessing!

Offside is judged by the furthest part of the body of the attacking player that you can score a goal with so looking at the Sterling one its i think his shoulder.

What part of the defenders body is considered, can it be his arm even though hes not trying to score or is it again a part of the body you can legally score with and makes no difference if attacker or defender.
The latter.

Dunno. I was thinking, why can't VAR do X-Rays? That way, we would categorically know where arm meets the shoulder
It's one of my abiding regrets that my collection of books on the laws is missing the one which (if I recall correctly from decades ago) had a diagram showing where "arm" started for handball purposes, and the arm started more or less where the armpit was (a good hand's width from the "shoulder" when extended).

For all players, the hands and arms are not considered in relation to offside position. Also, it's not to do with the parts of the body you can legally score with, the explanation as given by the IFAB (in the FAQ) is:
The hands or arms are not included when judging offside position; this is true for all players, including the goalkeepers. This view is supported by and helps assistant referees throughout the world as it is often difficult to identify the exact position of the hands and arms.

The PGMOL have stated that they will not police this as stringently (echoing @bloovee). So they can and are doing this, just like they're not wasting time and creating pantomime with the pitch side monitor

So they are deliberately letting goal keepers get away with coming off of their line, thereby committing an offence under the laws of the game?

They will use off field reviews, maybe not as much as we saw in the women's world cup, but they will.

So they are deliberately letting goal keepers get away with coming off of their line, thereby committing an offence under the laws of the game
We've been doing this since the year dot, as we have with many other Laws
Arbitrarily, they won't penalise minor GK infringements because it would be stupid to do so, but they will dissect human anatomy for offsides, despite it being stupid to do so

We've been doing this since the year dot, as we have with many other Laws
Arbitrarily, they won't penalise minor GK infringements because it would be stupid to do so, but they will dissect human anatomy for offsides, despite it being stupid to do so
But the difference now is that in previous years they could say 'oh it was such a small distance the ref wouldnt have seen it' or whatever. But now, VAR has removed that safety net, as even if something happens that neither the ref or assistant see VAR will have seen it.

Wait until a keeper comes off of his line before the ball is kicked and saves a penalty.

The TV cameras catch it but the premier League decide not to review it with VAR. The whole country will see that despite now having technology that will help referees catch these small offences they deliberately choose not to use them.

It's one thing VAR catching a tiny infringement which results in a goal being rules out, or a penalty to be re-taken, it is something completely different for VAR to deliberately ignore an infraction which they can clearly see.

Back