A&H

West Ham v Manchester City

bloovee

RefChat Addict
I can't say I've seen this before, but it looked like Mr Madley and his ARs were only allowing one attacker to be off the pitch for a corner, i.e. only the taker could be off the pitch for a run-up, the other had to be within the FoP. So the attacking team couldn't disguise who was taking the corner.

Where's this come from?

The Referee Store
Think I'd need to see this in action, didn't watch the game
If you can find it, the first incident was a City corner after around 4 mins, then a West Ham corner a few minutes later. (And for good measure, the "foul throw" on 45+2 mins!)

Wow you're absolutely right, ref 100% makes alvarez come onto the pitch. Wtf?

Either player could have taken the corner

It's also never a foul throw.

Last edited:
Surely it's like telling a player standing in the goal at a corner to get back on the FoP, or a kick off... all players except the kicker should be in the right place - on the FoP.

Good to spot it an act IMHO. If you let players stand off the pitch then both sides will do it at corners...

Surely it's like telling a player standing in the goal at a corner to get back on the FoP, or a kick off... all players except the kicker should be in the right place - on the FoP.

Good to spot it an act IMHO. If you let players stand off the pitch then both sides will do it at corners...
How do you know who's taking it?

Well, I think the players know that whoever is not taking it needs to be off the field. Body language is enough here.
But you have a right footer setting up for an inswinger and a left footer for an out, just like you can for a free kick. I don't see the issue tbh

Law 14 says The player taking the penalty kick must be clearly identified.

It doesn't say that for a free kick, or for a corner. For a corner, "The ball must be stationary and is kicked by a player of the attacking team".

Effectively, someone has made up a law that the player taking the corner must be clearly identified.

Why? When? What authority? Another bit of PGMOL secret knowledge?

Can the player who's been "allowed" off the FoP to take it do a run-up but run onto the FoP instead then his team-mate can run off the FoP and take it from a different angle?

Law 14 says The player taking the penalty kick must be clearly identified.

It doesn't say that for a free kick, or for a corner. For a corner, "The ball must be stationary and is kicked by a player of the attacking team".

Effectively, someone has made up a law that the player taking the corner must be clearly identified.

Why? When? What authority? Another bit of PGMOL secret knowledge?
No, all players need to be on the FoP except the taker.

This is a really interesting one and one which has come to light within PGMOL for focus.

Essentially, to paraphrase the guidance we've been given, the taker of the corner (or other restart for that matter) is permitted to leave the FOP as part of taking the kick (i.e normally they would re-enter as part of taking the kick); all other players should be on the field of play. By being off the field at the kick and then re-entering to take possession, the second player effectively re-enters without permission and interferes with play, which should result in an DFK and caution according to LOTG.

By making sure the 2nd player in of the FOP, the officials are proactively preventing an offence that players are most likely unaware they are about to commit.

Well, what is the sanction for a player that leaves the FoP without the permission of the referee?
Since when has a player taking a corner needed the permission of the referee to leave the FoP?

Maybe in decades of studying the laws and watching matches I've missed all the other occasions when teams have tried to have alternative takers and been pulled up for it, or maybe it's just never been tried before, but for each team to try it in the same match and it not be allowed just seems a bit surprising.

This is a really interesting one and one which has come to light within PGMOL for focus.

Essentially, to paraphrase the guidance we've been given, the taker of the corner (or other restart for that matter) is permitted to leave the FOP as part of taking the kick (i.e normally they would re-enter as part of taking the kick); all other players should be on the field of play. By being off the field at the kick and then re-entering to take possession, the second player effectively re-enters without permission and interferes with play, which should result in an DFK and caution according to LOTG.

BY making sure the 2nd player in of the FOP, the officials are proactively preventing an offence that players are most likely unaware they are about to commit.
So it is PGMOL making it up again?

So it is PGMOL making it up again?
No. They've highlighted a slightly odd, almost obscure area of law that is coming into play now that teams are starting to employ a particular tactic at short corners.

Having left the field of play in this scenario and not being the taker of the kick, the player would need permission to re-enter as per Law 3.

The proactive management of it is preventing the issue that having to award a DFK and yellow card a player for something that most people wouldn't understand.

No. They've highlighted a slightly odd, almost obscure area of law that is coming into play now that teams are starting to employ a particular tactic at short corners.

Having left the field of play in this scenario and not being the taker of the kick, the player would need permission to re-enter as per Law 3.

The proactive management of it is preventing the issue that having to award a DFK and yellow card a player for something that most people wouldn't understand.
I think the last bit makes the case. Most people wouldn't understand because it's daft. You don't have to do anything. Where in law does it allow even one player to leave the FoP to take a corner?

Just more micromanagement (with no IFAB input?) to no great purpose.

good luck attempting to give that at any level

utterly bonkers interpretation and application of the law (whether your own or pgmol)

Back