A&H

Week 2 - the return of the big mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know in the MLS you see the foul signal from the AR and movement down to the corner flag for a PK whereas over here in the UK we use the traditional foul flag and across the chest for a PK. Different countries to vary ever so slightly with how signals are. As an example of another thing that can differ, if there's a foul by the AR that the AR feels is worthy of a caution I prefer a hand on the front of the shorts by the pocket rather than being called over as it draws unnecessary attention to the AR, if the foul is worthy of a red I instruct the AR to put the hand on their back shorts pocket. It's preference really on what people like, if I went over to America and refereed with NAR's I'd leave them use their native PK signal so not to cause any issues where as if they came over to the UK I'd expect them to use the flag up and across the chest. As I said it's all down to preference!

The Referee Store
I know in the MLS you see the foul signal from the AR and movement down to the corner flag for a PK whereas over here in the UK we use the traditional foul flag and across the chest for a PK. Different countries to vary ever so slightly with how signals are. As an example of another thing that can differ, if there's a foul by the AR that the AR feels is worthy of a caution I prefer a hand on the front of the shorts by the pocket rather than being called over as it draws unnecessary attention to the AR, if the foul is worthy of a red I instruct the AR to put the hand on their back shorts pocket. It's preference really on what people like, if I went over to America and refereed with NAR's I'd leave them use their native PK signal so not to cause any issues where as if they came over to the UK I'd expect them to use the flag up and across the chest. As I said it's all down to preference!

Just to digress slightly.....

Can I just ask if I have interpreted your post correctly?
You are cautioning and dismissing players merely on the wave of a flag and a hand signal....no discussion? No asking the AR what they saw that was worthy of a caution or dismissal?

But that isn't law it's only the interpretation of the law and so therefore I see that signal as a suggestion rather than an order if you see what I mean.

Just to be clear, you are then saying that the second half of the LOTG is pointless since you can do what you want as it is all down to interpretation?

Do you use the other signals both referee and assistant as outlined in the interpretations or do you just make things up as you go along? As an assistant, Would you be prepared to wave your flag up and down to the right of your body to indicate a throw in to the attackers instead of just an extended arm? Based of your comment, it would be ok to to this but I reality it isn't and would get you poor marks in an assessment because it is not in accordance with the LOTG.

The interpretations are there to give us the best practices to make us all uniformed in our approach to the games.

The interpretations are there to clear up any confusion that has happened in recent games and in my opinion are therefore law - the interpretations further go into offside decisions which tell me under what specific situations a player should be deemed offside. Is it ok for me to ignore these since is isn't an order? Of course not!

Also, just to add, the English FA have a one fifth say I the writing of the laws and the interpretations, along with the other 3 home nations and a FIFA representative party. Seems a bit strange that they are teaching you to go against something that they have a say in setting out for the whole of the world.

Just to digress slightly.....

Can I just ask if I have interpreted your post correctly?
You are cautioning and dismissing players merely on the wave of a flag and a hand signal....no discussion? No asking the AR what they saw that was worthy of a caution or dismissal?
The only time I discuss is if it's an off the ball incident, at the level where you get AR's it's down to the AR to submit his report of what happened. I do also instruct them that if a tackle has afters with it (Like a little kick out) that I have missed to step onto the field of play holding the flag straight up in the air otherwise I trust the signal given by the assistant.

Whilst I agree its good to have a signal you should always consult the AR especially for a dismissal. How are you going to sell the decision if the player asks: 'What was that for?' Your only reply could be 'I dunno, its just what he told me to do'...credibility gone within an instant.

I too use subtle signals for yellow or red cards requested by my AR. However, I as the referee reserve the right to upgrade or downgrade whatever they advise. In addition, if they ask for red, 99% of the time, I will go and have a chat as it's a KMI. If they ask yellow, and I agree, I MIGHT mine 'yellow' at them and wait for a nod. If I don't know and they've not given me any signal, I might slip the yellow slightly out my pocket and wait for a nod.
The higher you go, and the more experienced AR's you have, a lot of the time, their flag signal will tell you whether it's a foul, yellow or red!

Back on topic please gents!

I've deleted the last 2 posts as they are irrelevant.

Just to be clear, you are then saying that the second half of the LOTG is pointless since you can do what you want as it is all down to interpretation?

Do you use the other signals both referee and assistant as outlined in the interpretations or do you just make things up as you go along? As an assistant, Would you be prepared to wave your flag up and down to the right of your body to indicate a throw in to the attackers instead of just an extended arm? Based of your comment, it would be ok to to this but I reality it isn't and would get you poor marks in an assessment because it is not in accordance with the LOTG.

The interpretations are there to give us the best practices to make us all uniformed in our approach to the games.

The interpretations are there to clear up any confusion that has happened in recent games and in my opinion are therefore law - the interpretations further go into offside decisions which tell me under what specific situations a player should be deemed offside. Is it ok for me to ignore these since is isn't an order? Of course not!

Also, just to add, the English FA have a one fifth say I the writing of the laws and the interpretations, along with the other 3 home nations and a FIFA representative party. Seems a bit strange that they are teaching you to go against something that they have a say in setting out for the whole of the world.

I'm not saying disregard the interpretation of the LOTG but I am saying that for something as trivial as this I think that the signal I use is much better than the one in the LOTG, I know a lot of people who use it and have never had any problems. If it's good enough for the pinical of English football, why isn't it good enough for me on a Sunday????

I'm not saying disregard the interpretation of the LOTG but I am saying that for something as trivial as this I think that the signal I use is much better than the one in the LOTG, I know a lot of people who use it and have never had any problems. If it's good enough for the pinical of English football, why isn't it good enough for me on a Sunday????

You really love those question marks don't you??

Sorry Ross;)...

Balls.

Gentlemen, this kind of behaviour is very disappointing. This competition was meant to be some fun, mixed with some learning/refreshment of the laws. I wanted there to be some debate and discussion around the questions (that's where half the fun comes from!), but this just became arguing. Not even arguing about the topic at times. To make it worse, both Ross and Dan warned you guys to pack it in and yet the off topic b*llsh*t arguing continued.

I'm not angry with you, just very disappointed. I am going to spend some time considering whether or not this now continues, or if we put a pin in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back