A&H

To wall or not to wall... That is the question!!

Yoda_72

Hi all
Something I am trying to understand from more experienced referees is when to use a wall and allow quick free-kicks. Mainly:
  1. When do you step and mark out a wall
    • I've been ding this as standard, but I'm bound to be asked to take a quick one soon.
      • Is a wall only required when the Defending team ask for one?
  2. When do you allow a quick free-kick?
    • What allows this to happen if the other team are setting up a wall?
      • Is this allowed if the Defending team dont ask for a wall?
      • Do I need to blow for a quick free-kick?
The query is when to allow the quick free-kick...? Is it a request by the attacking team to take it early, and prevented by the defending team to have a wall?
Also, I understand that if its a wall I need to restart play with the whistle, but do I need to do the same for a quick free-kick?
Thanks all for your help.

The Referee Store
We've been discussing this quite recently...

1. If the attackers ask for the wall or if you are obviously interfering/controlling/close
2. A quick one is fine: if it is taken quickly, if it is taken from the right place, if you are not close/interfering/controlling

Do not whistle if there is a quick free kick you are happy with.
If you have told the kicker it’s on the whistle then obviously whistle - but you get into position first.

For other free kicks you do not have to whistle - but in some cultures or with some ages it can be normal. If a player is confused, shout or whistle.

In attacking positions try to be clear - it’s either ceremonial (on the whistle) or available to be taken quickly (because you are not close confusing people!)

This stuff about being close/interfering/ controlling is not in the law book as such - but it is what football expects - and what you need to keep match control ;)

1. If the attackers ask for the wall or if you are obviously interfering/controlling/close
2. A quick one is fine: if it is taken quickly, if it is taken from the right place, if you are not close/interfering/controlling

Do not whistle if there is a quick free kick you are happy with.
If you have told the kicker it’s on the whistle then obviously whistle - but you get into position first.

For other free kicks you do not have to whistle - but in some cultures or with some ages it can be normal. If a player is confused, shout or whistle.

In attacking positions try to be clear - it’s either ceremonial (on the whistle) or available to be taken quickly (because you are not close confusing people!)

This stuff about being close/interfering/ controlling is not in the law book as such - but it is what football expects - and what you need to keep match control ;)
Great - So if I understand it correctly, if the Defending team ask for a wall... I cannot allow a quick free-kick?
Thanks

Great - So if I understand it correctly, if the Defending team ask for a wall... I cannot allow a quick free-kick?
Thanks
I’ve never heard a defending team ask for a wall, however you’ll likely hear somebody (usually the keeepr) shout ‘whistle please ref’. That’ll never be instant after you blow for the free kick as they’ll have to process what’s going on first so I would say if you’ve heard that shout then yes, it’s too late for the QFK.

You’ll learn quite quickly what’s considered too late just based on being in the scenario to be honest, and there’s no real set in stone process for it. The thing I try to look out for is the 2/3 seconds after you give the foul, players are still in motion/playing so that’s when I like to give the QFK. If the game has come to a standstill, it’s no longer quick

I’ve never heard a defending team ask for a wall, however you’ll likely hear somebody (usually the keeepr) shout ‘whistle please ref’. That’ll never be instant after you blow for the free kick as they’ll have to process what’s going on first so I would say if you’ve heard that shout then yes, it’s too late for the QFK.

You’ll learn quite quickly what’s considered too late just based on being in the scenario to be honest, and there’s no real set in stone process for it. The thing I try to look out for is the 2/3 seconds after you give the foul, players are still in motion/playing so that’s when I like to give the QFK. If the game has come to a standstill, it’s no longer quick
The I want a wall request has been a constant for the past few months, hence the query.
Thanks for the advice.

I disagree with this. The defense has no right at all to force ceremonial kicks and cannot stop a quick kick by yelling they want time to set a wall. (It may well be that by the time that is yelled a ceremonial start is appropriate, but the defense has no right to a ceremonial restart.)

I disagree with this. The defense has no right at all to force ceremonial kicks and cannot stop a quick kick by yelling they want time to set a wall. (It may well be that by the time that is yelled a ceremonial start is appropriate, but the defense has no right to a ceremonial restart.)
Agreed, they can’t force it and its not what I said.

It sounds like we are saying the same thing after all. I read the close of your statement as saying if the GK asks, it is too late, which isn’t necessarily true.

You HAVE watched football before, right?
Hey easy tiger. Control of free kicks and ceremonials is not obvious from the TV - and the ”technical steps” do need to be studied and learnt if you want to develop as a referee.

Getting close - identifying the kick taker - spotting the ball - communicating with the kick taker - signalling so the GK understands - identifying the wall - moving with the field and players in view - pacing and moving the wall - using the trailing eye to make sure the ball stays - positioning the wall in/out of the box - instructions about hands - instructions to attackers about 1m distance - communicating with ARs about hands - selecting your position based on the takers, the shooting angle, a short one, a cross… finally blowing the whistle to see the ball thunder into the draught excluder!

The process is not magically self evident!

To wall if/when/once you are there. Not to wall if you are not.

And don't forget that the first step when you are to walling is to make it clear it's on the whistle.

In my experience it's only ever been in youth football has a wall been requested which I simply say if you want a wall you need to set it up but I'm not stopping play

In my experience it's only ever been in youth football has a wall been requested which I simply say if you want a wall you need to set it up but I'm not stopping play
Careful with this… and this is really the point of the thread… if a referee is standing over the ball, having a conversation with any player about whether or not a free kick is on the whistle …then there really is not a quick free kick situation, the referee is controlling the situation - and the referee should be telling it is on the whistle!

There are a few things to think about here, and the first is where you are based. Whilst I respect the views of our overseas colleagues who say you should let the attacking team take a quick free kick, that absolutely isn't the expectation in England and I've seen referees who were having good games fall apart because they allowed it to be taken quickly, especially when they have asked the attackers if they want to take it quickly.

First thing to think of is where are you, and if the answer isn't where the free kick is going to be taken from you need to get there as quickly as you can. If they take it before you get there, which in my experience is very rare if it is within shooting distance, there isn't a lot you can do about it, aside from using the get out that it was taken from the wrong place or the ball was moving.

Once you are there it can only be ceremonial, i.e. you tell them it is on the whistle and you manage it. Tell the keeper it is direct, and make sure he is ready, and more importantly you are ready, before you blow your whistle. And that leads to another thought process, where do you stand. If on your own you have to be thoughtful of a potential offside or ball over line, whereas if you are with NARs your biggest concern is probably handling by someone in the wall.

A lot to think about, but I would say the key thing is never, ever, ask them if they want to take a quick one. If you do and they score you will be deemed to have had a hand in the goal, and it probably won't end well.

A lot to think about, but I would say the key thing is never, ever, ask them if they want to take a quick one. If you do and they score you will be deemed to have had a hand in the goal, and it probably won't end well.
I totally agree with this.

And I also think you make an excellent point about local expectations--which is always a danger on things like international discussion boards.

I've had defenders shout at me before that they want to set up a wall. Happens quite often actually. I just say it's not up to you.

Usually that's followed by 'you have to'. Hahahaha. Nope.

I ask keepers if they want a wall set up for most free kicks
It is not the keepers decision.
You can tell the keeper when they can wait for a whistle, otherwise they need to be ready for the kick to be taken, with all the other caveats within the thread.

Back