A&H

To wall or not to wall... That is the question!!

Another point that will never happen but does, its important to bear in mind should the free kick be indirect, but, you omit the arm signal/iinform, and the shot goes straight in, its not a goal, despite your lack of signal

The Referee Store
I just think a lot of people are putting too much emphasis on the idea of forming a wall here.

Now admittedly, this is probably because the OP asked the question:

Is a wall only required when the Defending team ask for one?

However to me that is a leading question, based on a false premise.

It implies that a wall is sometimes required.

However that's not the case - there is no requirement (or prohibition) in the laws relating to the forming of a wall.

The referees first job at a free kick within shooting distance is to decide whether to make it ceremonial or not. If you've decided on ceremonial then your job is to ensure that all opponents are back the required distance. Whether some of those opponents form themselves into a wall or not is completely up to them. It's not the referees concern, at least until or unless it actually happens.

If you've announced that it's on the whistle and they decide to form a wall then yes, managing it becomes part of the whole ceremonial free kick business.

But as far as I'm concerned there's no real need or reason to liaise with them prior to them starting to form a wall. As mentioned before, it's completely up to them. They either form one or they don't. All the referee has to do is to manage things as they present themselves.

'Confused players' or not you just shouldn't be asking the keeper if he wants a wall full stop.

That's just wrong.
Can’t see anywhere in the LOTG that state this is wrong.
I accept it may not be common but nothing wrong about it

If the referee wants the player(s) to wait for the whistle before restarting play
(e.g. when ensuring that defending players are 9.15m (10 yd) from the ball at a
free kick) the referee must clearly inform the attacking player(s) to wait for the
whistle.

You could argue that you use the keeper to aid your decision making of course, but, I just don't think it's good practise. You are the decision maker. You aren't Deciding if there is a wall, you are ensuring that players are 10yds away from the restart, it is the defending teams decision how many players they put at said point. 3 or more then we have a "wall".

In general, it's impossible to prove a negative.

In this specific case, the law does not claim to list every single thing that shouldn't be allowed, rather in the case of processes, it lists the expected procedures that should be followed.

If you think this is something that you are empowered to do, the onus on you is to cite your source in the LOTG where it states that you may do this, not the other way round.

For example, take the throw-in discussion that I was having recently - throw-ins are defined as throws "using two hands, from behind and above the head". However exactly you understand that, it is to be taken as the definition of an acceptable throw, not as an example of one type of acceptable throw. The fact the book doesn't explicitly ban basketball-style throws, shot-put style throws etc. doesn't mean they're legal by omission, that's not how it works. The described process is the acceptable approach, anything else is not.

Last edited:
Not forgetting that once the defensive wall is clearly happening, the referee now needs to ensure that all attacking players are at least a yard away from it ...

I only ever ask on a ceremonial restart anyway negating the quick free kick
But this is a circular argument isn't it? ceremonial restart is only when a wall is required. If it is a ceremonial restart then you don't really need to ask the keeper as the wall is already required. If you are asking the keeper then you really are letting the keeper decide if it is going to be a ceremonial restart or not.

But this is a circular argument isn't it? ceremonial restart is only when a wall is required. If it is a ceremonial restart then you don't really need to ask the keeper as the wall is already required. If you are asking the keeper then you really are letting the keeper decide if it is going to be a ceremonial restart or not.
I accept this argument

Only allowed if you sit in the centre circle so you can see the whole pitch.

Totally no on this one! 😳

Sitting down to do this is just slovenly and sends completely the wrong message.

Rather, one should stand somewhat majestically, even "classically" within the centre circle and gaze slightly upwards and across the field of play whilst holding a wistful, yet approachable look about one's features.

Tsk. Standards ... 🙄

Back