A&H

Thoughts of walking away

SM

The avuncular one
does anyone else get thoughts of just walking away from refereeing?

Just curious.

The Referee Store
It comes in peaks and troughs for me.

A few dodgy games in a row and I'll come away thinking of giving up. Life would be less hectic without reffing, I wouldn't have to bother with fitness tests and I could watch city every week!

Felt like this after my last game last weekend, hated almost every minute of the game and the assessment wasn't great, but then I get back home and think about it and get back on it the week after (weather permitting of course!).

I sure do. Would probably have a less hectic and stressful life, but I can't afford to lose my big passion, the place I have most of my friends and the source of income.

does anyone else get thoughts of just walking away from refereeing?

Just curious.

No, but I must admit I'm more than ready for the end of season break.

Getting a little frustrated with refs secs who seem to have more control of my free time than I do.

I did and found binning Sunday mens football helped.

Had to further trim my availability after separation which means I do just enough to stay interested, without much in the way of "refereeing fatigue" if you will.

Decided I'm unlikely to go higher, largely because of the demands on your time at Level 4. It's the FA or my daughter...

Well if you're not available, close your dates! :p ;)

Not that simple if you're not on MOAS, especially at this time of the season.

Am I right in thinking MOAS is available to level 4 and above?

I've lost count of the number of times I've had texts or emails from supply league refs sec, who play their games Saturday's and Tuesday's while the light is good enough: 'I need you to do a line 45 miles away this Thursday, closed dates suggests you are available so I'm assuming that's OK'.

Why would I close a date you don't schedule games on? :devil::devil::devil::devil:

You close all dates you don't want a game on whether they are planned or not. I close Sundays for Supply and Contrib so there's no embarrassing refusal of games

I did and found binning Sunday mens football helped.

Had to further trim my availability after separation which means I do just enough to stay interested, without much in the way of "refereeing fatigue" if you will.

Decided I'm unlikely to go higher, largely because of the demands on your time at Level 4. It's the FA or my daughter...
Me too, Sunday went 4 years ago and just done saturdays this season......until a few weeks ago. (big mistake).... and after some serious friendly asking I reluctantly accepted an appointment in the Sheffield Imperial bottom Division.... crap v crap....I did my achilles on the saturday and said i would do it but at walking pace (not sure if they noticed). First yellow 20 minutes for continued aggressive dissent after 2 warnings to STFU..... Then he got his second in the second half for a retaliation clip AA.... I just don't seem to mix with Sunday footballers!!! They bring out the Old Schoolmaster in me... I don't suffer fools!!!

Lost count of how many times I've thought about just walking away this season; from the assault to the numerous postponements it's been one of those years. Hopefully a change of scenery next season will do the job. Moving to a new youth league on a Saturday and doing a mix of OA/academy on a Sunday.

Every time I do think about walking away though, I decide that I'd probably miss it too much.

It comes in peaks and troughs for me.

A few dodgy games in a row and I'll come away thinking of giving up. Life would be less hectic without reffing, I wouldn't have to bother with fitness tests and I could watch city every week!

Felt like this after my last game last weekend, hated almost every minute of the game and the assessment wasn't great, but then I get back home and think about it and get back on it the week after (weather permitting of course!).
Your performance wasn't that bad when I assessed you....!!!

There was a day in what turned out to be my final season as a 4, when I knew I was done. I sat in the changing room after the game, and then the boardroom after that, and just knew it was time. I'd become too cynical, too fed up and realised that the reasons I enjoyed refereeing were no longer applicable due to circumstance. I quit at the end of that season, despite having an amazing second half of the season, lines and middles, and haven't regretted it at all. Since the end of that season, 2013/14, I've officiated in only a handful of games, all behind-closed-doors friendlies of a football league side and nothing else (thoroughly enjoyed them too may I add).

But hey, that was me and only me.

I did (temporarily) retire in May 2015 however I did get back on the horse in around November... nothing too stressful this season, ive picked my games carefully.. None of this Refsec stuff for me.... (SiD passing away hit me hard too! RIP Little Fella, My avatar is in his memory!)
What did really warm my ****les were the MANY messages of support in the February of 2015 when I told the FB page of the league that I was going. Some from some very very strange players (some old foes) and gobby managers who only told me their appreciation of my craft at that point. Felt great to feel appreciated and not in that lonely place we all feel when it goes Pete Tong.. I have a copy somewhere.. Still makes me smile reading them!!

there isnt a referee in existance who hasnt/ will not chuck the kit bag in the back of a cupboard swearing thats it never again, these things make you a better referee stick with it, if you have refereeing mates chat to them it really helps

I'll register for next season but football will only happen when I'm not doing rugby. At the beginning of the season I was all fired up, secretary of the local RA and got us a new venue at the local non league club ground and joined a new league which I'd heard good things about. By Christmas I'd resigned from the RA and hadn't actually joined as I could see no benefits and was working my butt off to organise every meeting and not seeing other committee members even coming or sending apologies. The league had messed me about sending me to places that no other ref was being asked to on a weekly basis and seeing the same teams twice in a month (on a league with over 100 Saturday fixtures). By January i had closed every weekend and only opened for times i saw games i fancied. Plus the behaviour of players, coaches and spectators was dubious at best.

So I'll do football when i need to but I'm not going to commit to a league. Rugby is thriving and holds referees in high regard as the players know it's a hard game to referee and show respect, addressing me as "sir " even when they could swing for someone. I'm not looking back.

I'll register for next season but football will only happen when I'm not doing rugby. At the beginning of the season I was all fired up, secretary of the local RA and got us a new venue at the local non league club ground and joined a new league which I'd heard good things about. By Christmas I'd resigned from the RA and hadn't actually joined as I could see no benefits and was working my butt off to organise every meeting and not seeing other committee members even coming or sending apologies. The league had messed me about sending me to places that no other ref was being asked to on a weekly basis and seeing the same teams twice in a month (on a league with over 100 Saturday fixtures). By January i had closed every weekend and only opened for times i saw games i fancied. Plus the behaviour of players, coaches and spectators was dubious at best.

So I'll do football when i need to but I'm not going to commit to a league. Rugby is thriving and holds referees in high regard as the players know it's a hard game to referee and show respect, addressing me as "sir " even when they could swing for someone. I'm not looking back.
I'd give basketball a wide berth too! :devil:

Back