A&H

Returning to Fitness

SteveAustinRef

Level 7 Referee
Having been out for a while I am working hard to get my fitness back and to lose the weight I have gained. Its a long hard journey but will be worth it in the end.

What are you guys doing to stay fit or to get fit?

I am currently doing the NHS Couch to 5K Podcasts. These are really good, gets you running in a short while and as you progress it gets harder and harder until you run for a solid 30 mins to cover roughly 5K. I do this 3 times a week with a days rest in between runs.
On days off from running I have started doing Kettlebell workouts and core strength work like planks etc. Situps, Pushups, Squats

In just 4 weeks I have managed to lose 4Kg, lose 3 inches of my waste, Run further and long than I had before, and fit into a pair of jeans I bought 3 years ago in a size I couldn't fit into

The Referee Store
Nice :)

I have embarked upon an intense mixture of running/gym based cardio work and core strengthening. Attempting to stop drinking alcohol as well, but that is more tricky due to the lions tour... And my love of wine and beer! Training 6 days per week at the moment around work commitments.

going to start playing squash again also to improve speed in the next couple of weeks.

Planning to ease off a couple of weeks before season starts so I am nice and fresh. :)

I have been resting up these last few weeks as I have suffered plantar faciitis (sore heel). But am looking forward to getting out for some gentle runs next week. Going to be training to get up to running a half marathon this year. No races planned but just want to get up to running that distance. Then I'm going to work to a marathon and once that is done go for a 50mile. Couch to five k is a great programme. I can recommend the podrunner series of interval training. I have been using it for years. It is excellent.

As a level 7 I regularly train with level 3's and 4 and A few 2's. tonight we did the LEVEL 2 fitness test. Bloody hell. VERY HARD. I dropped out VERY EARLY.

sprint 150m in 30sec
WALK 50m 40sec
repeated 20 times!!

Works out 10laps of a 400m track!! I dropped out after 3 laps - i just cod not keep up/hit the marker.
I know my fitness has dropped over the past few months but bloody hell those guys are mega fit!!

I have one of those tests coming up in a few weeks Dave, although those times are for Northern League (equiv. Div 3 & 4), I need to achieve:

40m in 7s, rest 90sec - 7 times
THEN:
150m in 35s, rest 50sec - 20 times

This is the mid-season 'check' - I failed miserably at start of season lol, but a pass would allow promotion from AR to ref on our regional leagues (div 5/6 equiv.)

They also have to sprint 40m in 6seconds as well.

Sounds very similar matt!
As a 7 going for 6 thankfully I am no where near taking that test!!
Need to put the hours in to get there!!

These tests don't look to bad on paper (or computer screen) but when you try them they really are hard. Fair play to anyone who passes them tests.

Lol. Our tests are scheduled for Sunday 7th July, so will probably be unavailable for a game on the 6th :rolleyes:

I then fly to UK for five weeks - on the 11th July! :D

Whether I pass the tests or not - God only knows what condition I'll be in after five week's holiday

5 weeks of English food? Say hello to a good 4 kg of fat!!!! :lol:

Just kidding of course. 5 kg!

i saw the FIFA test and thought it looked fairly doable. I need a track to have a go on to see what it is actually like :) like said above, probably a lot harder than I at first thought.

If your area is anything like mine tracks are hard to find. We have one at a local sports club but im not paying £100 to hire it to run half a lap and then fail the fitness test.

Matt - if your coming to Kent get in contact with me - we use a running track every week - I'm by far the least fit & lowest level.
We do it every Thursday evening and recently every sat AM round a cricket pitch.

Haha you have to hire the entire thing for just a couple of laps? Hmm going to have to rethink my strategy!!!!

We used to have them on local parks that some schools used but I don't think they use them in schools anymore either.

As a level 7 I regularly train with level 3's and 4 and A few 2's. tonight we did the LEVEL 2 fitness test. Bloody hell. VERY HARD. I dropped out VERY EARLY.

sprint 150m in 30sec
WALK 50m 40sec
repeated 20 times!!

Works out 10laps of a 400m track!! I dropped out after 3 laps - i just cod not keep up/hit the marker.
I know my fitness has dropped over the past few months but bloody hell those guys are mega fit!!

Standard test for level 7-6 in Wales is 12 laps of this followed by 6 60m sprints in 6.6 seconds.

I aim to do the full 20 in a months time.

I have a training plan developed for my by my sports scientist if anybody would like to see it? :p

There is also a nutrition plan to compliment this.

I will do ASAP.

It is currently in the form of 4 printed out sheets, the electronic version are on the old computer. I am in the process of typing them up so will upload them as soon as that is done!

Look forward to that. As long as the nutritional bit includes chocolate and beer. The former is my biggest downfall and the latter doesn't help much either.

Standard test for level 7-6 in Wales is 12 laps of this followed by 6 60m sprints in 6.6 seconds.

I aim to do the full 20 in a months time.

I have a training plan developed for my by my sports scientist if anybody would like to see it? :p

There is also a nutrition plan to compliment this.

I would be very interested as I am going for 7 to 6 this season. :)

Someone told me that Wales is adopting the FIFA fitness test along with the grading changes? Is there no truth in that?

Back