A&H

Ref course

I initially saw prices were high, that's what I came to discuss but seems like many like high prices. So in theory this "job" is only available to those that can genuinely afford it in the first place. No other "job" makes you pay for courses
That’s basically a description of any job which requires a university degree

The Referee Store
That’s basically a description of any job which requires a university degree

It would be interesting to see the retention rates from those that are funded, ie DOE or club funded and those that finance it themselves. I imagine the retention rate is incredibly low for those that are funded,and therefore it's just a means of income for the FA. I hope I'm wrong but as I've said before, 50 on my course and the league which I was put forward to for my qualifying games couldn't offer me or the other adult on the course any games (September). I moved counties and sorted games off my own back but from November onwards,and it continues to this day, I get emails every week regarding my availability to help cover games. Almost everyone I spoke to on the course was DOE or club funded

There are loads of positives which should be emphasised and promoted. Money, fitness, travel, teamwork etc. You have to communicate this in a way which kids find attractive. That's Instagram and Facebook etc. Not FA accounts that no kid will ever give two hoots about, celebrate refs as individuals. Get them on tv etc. There's genuine interest in what refereesdo but it's all from a negative perspective because they're dehumanized and hidden. Dermot Gallagher on SSN is the only interaction anyone will ever have with a ref. He may be a cracking ref but to a young person he's the representation of refereeing because he's what they see and hear from on tv. Imagine how dull he seems to a 13 year old like my step son!

For anyone in doubt, check the Tournaments Abroad stuff on Facebook. Endless pics of smiling teams of referees in amazing places around the world. Yes, putting up with some dissent (from parents and coaches mostly) but just incredibly positive attitude from a diverse group (of course, like anything that requires funds, could be more inclusive as cash is a barrier to some)... but it's all there: fitness, travel, teamwork...

What would be good is if the public saw someone, say, Clattenburg or Dean on Celebrity Juice, being themselves, being able to laugh at themselves, being human.
There is certainly a stereotype that the referee is a fun stopper who wears black at the weekend and only exists to exert power he may not have in his day job and pocket easy cash.

What would be good is if the public saw someone, say, Clattenburg or Dean on Celebrity Juice, being themselves, being able to laugh at themselves, being human.
There is certainly a stereotype that the referee is a fun stopper who wears black at the weekend and only exists to exert power he may not have in his day job and pocket easy cash.
That sums a few on here to be fair, myself included! 👀❤️👀

For anyone in doubt, check the Tournaments Abroad stuff on Facebook. Endless pics of smiling teams of referees in amazing places around the world. Yes, putting up with some dissent (from parents and coaches mostly) but just incredibly positive attitude from a diverse group (of course, like anything that requires funds, could be more inclusive as cash is a barrier to some)... but it's all there: fitness, travel, teamwork...

All good stuff but solely accessed and viewed by current referees. Is it even in question that refereeing needs to be modernised and certainly needs to be sold better to the public? I see condescending replies and patronisation aplenty but numbers continue to fall as does the perception of the referee in the public eye. It's not just about social media, its about the portrayal of referees to the wider public that it's a good hobby to take up. Because whether we like it or not, there are far more negatives than positives to the profession in the eyes of the public and that is a direct causation of falling numbers

I dunno, I imagine people would push the stereotype even further and call them arrogant a-holes just for enjoying themselves on a bit of telly. Like, you're never going to make traffic wardens popular, so I can't see it happening in the public with football referees. Not that easily anyway.

Clattenburg really didn't help himself with comments in the media the other year either tbh. Mr. Winter didn't help for ages with his column in the Mirror I think it was. Sometimes good referees aren't really 'nice' personas outside of refereeing. And sometimes, people don't care to have their views changed.

All good stuff but solely accessed and viewed by current referees.

And all their mates, peers, families, footy teammates etc etc. Socialz mediaz innit.

Similiarly, in the same vein as the Turkish derby a few weeks ago, it’s made the news and Facebook feeds of normal folk that a team of 6 from this country will be on the Champs League for the first time since the 90s (Atleti-Monaco;)).

I’m agreeing with you. Any positive (lifestyle or sporting) coverage stands out a mile and is so important - of course at the moment it’s up against an avalanche of negative coverage (mistakes, mix ups, drama, threats, abuse).

Can't we chuck Clattenburg, Poll, Halsey, into the jungle with And (or Holly) and Dec? That would raise refereeing profile, although I fear they would probably doing the bushtucker trials every day …!

Define "posh" please Sheffied :):):):):)

I once reffed a player who was on the books of SUFC as a teenager and was subject of a million pound bid from MUFC about 10 - 12 years ago, the player just couldn't handle the big time and fell off the rails. He was a striker and turned up in a battered Ford to 1-2 games that i did with him playing, you could see the quality and this was saturday morning church league. Look at what he could have won!!! Here is a video of his skills from youtube!! This is his academy days
I've have Evoques. Audi's, Mercs and recently Discovery's, I could get better but it don't look good to turn up at a sales call in a Bentley!!! :devil:

Last edited:
Is there a single sportsman, actor, singer, celebrity etc that doesn't receive horrendous abuse and worse? That's the reality of the society in which we live in unfortunately. But they have a choice to have social media accounts and promote themselves in any manner they see fit. Professional referees don't and therefore cannot communicate with the public, cannot sell themselves. They're restricted and that's self defeating for refereeing.
They are not a sportsman, actor, singer, celebrity, etc., they are an employee of a sporting organisation. Why should they have to endure the abuse? Why should they sell themselves?

And I'll take you back to my second question which you conveniently ignored...Has anyone asked them if they want to be "public figures"?

I'll pick up on @RustyRef point as well... you're over selling the possibilities for a new recruit. Do you see players signing up to play because someone tells them they could play at Wembley in the FA Cup Final? They sign up because they enjoy it. People rarely become referees because they enjoy it.

I think what he meant was, the chance to referee at the Worlds best stadiums, share a pitch with the worlds best players, to be effectively paid a very good wage to be fit and healthy,

Maybe a lot of the reasons for abuse and threats is because the ref is simply that. The ref. He has no personality, no character, no feelings, no family, sometimes not even a name, just the ref. Total generic. Maybe if the ref was someone folk could relate to as an actual person then they might get treated a bit better.

"Be a referee like Micheal and you too could go to the World Cup finals, plus earn 100k per year for being fit" That would work for me.
I think his subsequent posts have disproved that. He really does mean they should be celebrities and used for the promotion of refereeing whether they want to be used as one or not

Kids don't even choose to start playing football, the dad makes them play and pushes them. Because, dad wants the kid to be Beckham or whoever.
Beckham is good looking, rich, successful, played all over world, captained country etc...its the dad who plants the seed of how good things could be.
Does any dad (Olivers I suppose being an obv exception!) put posters of Jon Moss up on the wall and push the kid to be that? No

Back