A&H

Promotion

The Referee Store
That is the golden question!!!! It's however many the FA want and whoever they want
Depends on local demand. They don't take who they want, the FA likely know next to nothing about then candidates Personally. They select from the rankings in the areas where they need them. Referees are ranked vased on observations, availability, and administration.

Depends on local demand. They don't take who they want, the FA likely know next to nothing about then candidates Personally. They select from the rankings in the areas where they need them. Referees are ranked vased on observations, availability, and administration.
I agree about demand etc but personally I believe its naieve to believe politics etc doesn't come into it and they don' take who they want. For example in my area in mid season they took to level 3 a referee that was demoted to 4 for the start of season just gone and was sitting 16th in observers and 9th for clubs when there was others better positioned.

While I'm not saying that isn't possible, its also fair to say that even with access to their marks, we don't have nearly as full a picture as the FA will.

We're told from L7 that admin only gets more important as we go up the levels, there could be a variety of personal circumstances that lead them to believe that particular candidate will do better in future or at a higher level (or the opposite for their competition), and it's also an open secret that "big game experience" is (in my opinion, over) valued and so will be a benefit for a candidate who has been at a higher level previously.

While I think James is right with regards to the first time a candidate enters the FA's radar, it's not unreasonable to expect previous impressions of candidates who have been at higher levels to also be a factor as well.

While I'm not saying that isn't possible, its also fair to say that even with access to their marks, we don't have nearly as full a picture as the FA will.

We're told from L7 that admin only gets more important as we go up the levels, there could be a variety of personal circumstances that lead them to believe that particular candidate will do better in future or at a higher level (or the opposite for their competition), and it's also an open secret that "big game experience" is (in my opinion, over) valued and so will be a benefit for a candidate who has been at a higher level previously.

While I think James is right with regards to the first time a candidate enters the FA's radar, it's not unreasonable to expect previous impressions of candidates who have been at higher levels to also be a factor as well.
Position doesn't always tell true story either.
The 15 above might have not have done enough games and therefore not met the minimum promotion criteria. That minimum criteria of games (also read experience) is less important for a referee that has already referred at the level above. Also bearing in mind said referee was probably demoted with an above expected average given the average mark is 72.9 at level 3. It wasn't they weren't good enough, there were just better performing referees.
When I was promoted I was 12th. But i know there were several referees above me who hadn't refereed minimum number of games (injury, sabbatical etc.) or were too low on club marks to be considered.

Position doesn't always tell true story either.
The 15 above might have not have done enough games and therefore not met the minimum promotion criteria. That minimum criteria of games (also read experience) is less important for a referee that has already referred at the level above. Also bearing in mind said referee was probably demoted with an above expected average given the average mark is 72.9 at level 3. It wasn't they weren't good enough, there were just better performing referees.
When I was promoted I was 12th. But i know there were several referees above me who hadn't refereed minimum number of games (injury, sabbatical etc.) or were too low on club marks to be considered.
Currently sitting 12th on observers (but fell from 9th to 46th on club marks, after a two month run in of 67-71s from one team and 80-85s from the others).

I’m pleased the FA have changed their stance on club marks, as it’s only the bottom 40% that aren’t eligible this season (and have been told that club marks aren’t a major consideration)

I’m not expecting to go up, however, as I’m a tad too far down I think. But if you went up from 15 I’ve still got hope 😂

Currently sitting 12th on observers (but fell from 9th to 46th on club marks, after a two month run in of 67-71s from one team and 80-85s from the others).

I’m pleased the FA have changed their stance on club marks, as it’s only the bottom 40% that aren’t eligible this season (and have been told that club marks aren’t a major consideration)

I’m not expecting to go up, however, as I’m a tad too far down I think. But if you went up from 15 I’ve still got hope 😂
I was 12th, so you've got a shout.
I know that there were several others above me that were not considered though as they had not done enough games or not in a club mark position so I never knew my true position. Hopefully you get the same.
Also, I have heard with the shift towards observer mark they are promoting the highest positioned referees on observer table. But you are very close so I wouldn't rule you out.

What do you think the chances are with finishing 7th for observers and 30th for clubs. Competed 18 games, 4 observations.
There's no definite or surety anyone can give. That's a great position to be in, but changes in approach, geography, required numbers all play a part.
You could be 1 and 1, but absolutely crap admin, you won't get promoted. It's more than merit table unfortunately so no one can say for sure you're up

There's no definite or surety anyone can give. That's a great position to be in, but changes in approach, geography, required numbers all play a part.
You could be 1 and 1, but absolutely crap admin, you won't get promoted. It's more than merit table unfortunately so no one can say for sure you're up
You mention admin, is this basically putting your cautions in within 2 working days of the fixture or more along the lines of accepting appointments on MOAS and not pulling off of games?

Neither will be a problem for me, just interested

You’re in a better position than I am (I’m totally not jealous or anything 😅)

As James has said above its very dependent on the amount of referees that the FA need, mixed in with ‘admin’ and availability (I’d assume they rank referees numerically on this also)

If I was a betting man I’d say you’re 2/1 at getting promoted this year based purely off merit table data

You mention admin, is this basically putting your cautions in within 2 working days of the fixture or more along the lines of accepting appointments on MOAS and not pulling off of games?

Neither will be a problem for me, just interested
Everything mate.
Closed dates. Post match admin. Accepting appointments. Not coming off appointments etc.

In terms of the closed dated on MOAS, in hope that I make level 4, is there a likelihood you can receive appointments on the day? I guess covering last minute drop outs. I’m conscious that if I’m at work and get an appointment but I’m there with no kit on me, I’d almost need to close dates daily and that may not look great

In terms of the closed dated on MOAS, in hope that I make level 4, is there a likelihood you can receive appointments on the day? I guess covering last minute drop outs. I’m conscious that if I’m at work and get an appointment but I’m there with no kit on me, I’d almost need to close dates daily and that may not look great
If you leave a date open, The FA may well appoint you as late as the morning of the game.
If you are currently on MOAS because you are an AR on Step 5/6, same situation applies.

Practically I wouldn't worry about that.

I've had a couple of very late notice appointments, but always with a call to check availability first - and a thank you for taking them, not an expectation that I was sat with the engine running waiting for a MOAS notification.

BUT, do close dates by the expected date each month - easy to forget, so I have a reminder in my outlook calendar.

Practically I wouldn't worry about that.

I've had a couple of very late notice appointments, but always with a call to check availability first - and a thank you for taking them, not an expectation that I was sat with the engine running waiting for a MOAS notification.

BUT, do close dates by the expected date each month - easy to forget, so I have a reminder in my outlook calendar.
Good advice, thank you. I’be spent the last 3/4 months updating MOAS despite realistically not getting any appointments at my level at this stage of the season just to get myself into the habit. My concern was that if it got to today say, I close the date because I didn’t want an appointment on the day and this would look like 20+ closed dates each month for midweeks. Thanks for confirming that 👍

If it's on the day you will get a call.
But if you say no be prepared to say why the date is open on MOAS if you cant do it.
In my experience it is few and far between.
No offence intended here but the vast majority of FA l3 are good at admin so chopping and changing doesn't seem to happen as frequently. I think I picked up one game all season from a reappointment and even then that was well ahead of time.

If it's on the day you will get a call.
But if you say no be prepared to say why the date is open on MOAS if you cant do it.
In my experience it is few and far between.
No offence intended here but the vast majority of FA l3 are good at admin so chopping and changing doesn't seem to happen as frequently. I think I picked up one game all season from a reappointment and even then that was well ahead of time.
Good to know, thank you. I’m (hopefully) going from 5 to 4, not 4 to 3 so the whole game management primarily being on MOAS is new to me, so no offence taken. I’m just a noob :D

The advice still relevant mate, as the people that appoint the refs appoint the assistants so the process, and experience, will be as described.

Back