A&H

PAR NEW

The Referee Store
There is zero doubt here that Livramento had made his body unnaturally bigger or was above the shoulder level. It could not have been deemed handling if the ball deflected off his body onto his arm that was fairly close to his side, as was the case tonight.
You have completely lost me. We’re crossing one another somehow.

I still don’t think the old deflection language has anything to do with anything.

Under the current Law, it‘s handling if deliberate or biggering.

Under the short-lived, confusing language, it was handling if deliberate or biggering (and the deflection language didn’t apply to those).

So nothing changed on that front.

I‘m not arguing it was a good call now or would have been a good call then. My only point is that the “deflection exception” didn’t apply to things that were deliberate or biggering, and th those are the only two th8ngs that are offenses now.

But apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?
What we should be talking about is a fairly heroic effort by the 11 players out there. Unlike PSG who used all 5 subs, we had a bunch of unused teenagers on the bench. The injury crisis blatantly caught up with us at Brighton a few weeks back, otherwise the remaining players keep performing minor miracles.

I haven't watched Champions League for God knows how many years, but I know that if the ball hits your hand in Europe, you're in massive trouble. On that basis I expected a PK. It's a separate debate that UEFA and the other Confederations wag the dog and make the rules up. There's nothing whatsoever in Law that supports the decision, but since when does that count for anything? Acts of God are far more likely to happen in the Penalty Areas of opponents of the top teams, so it's just another way of seeding the game to look after the Sponsors best interests

Last edited:
Especially in UEFA, as recommendations never get ignored. And this comes down to management, referees should be encouraged to ignore reviews if they think their original decision was correct. But that then chucks the VAR under the bus as they should only be recommending a review if the original decision was clearly and obviously incorrect.

I've always shied away from this, but I think it is now time to move to club VAR reviews. Get rid of VAR, each team gets two challenges per game and when that happens the referee himself goes to have a look at it.
You mean the idea I mentioned the other week and you said it wouldn't work? ;)

i've been saying this for years...the only way for me. give the teams the power and if they mess it up and lose challenges it's their own fault
Agreed. Clubs want more power, this gives them an element of that, as well as an element of responsibility to use their challenges wisely.

If a C&O error is missed by officials and team fail to challenge it, they're just as responsible as the officials.

I've often heard the soundbite "VAR is not the problem, it's the people using it" but the current VAR system requires perfect operation to work properly - no margin for error.

If a car crashed this many times because qualified people were unable to drive it, it would be recalled and taken off the market. It's about time VAR was recalled and completely redesigned.

I've often heard the soundbite "VAR is not the problem, it's the people using it" but the current VAR system requires perfect operation to work properly - no margin for error.

If a car crashed this many times because qualified people were unable to drive it, it would be recalled and taken off the market. It's about time VAR was recalled and completely redesigned.
I disagree completely with regards to this incident. This isn't a VAR problem, it's a sloppily written, inconsistent and confusing handball law problem. VAR isn't the problem here, VAR is the lens that highlights the poor law.

To borrow your analogy, handball is the car that's designed in such a way that it can't be safely driven in wet conditions. VAR is the fact that sometimes it rains.

Last edited:
I've often heard the soundbite "VAR is not the problem, it's the people using it"
That statement amounts to lazy journalism and unfounded nonsense

I'm surprised that UEFA are implying a mistake was made. These HB decisions are common place in that competition. I for one expected the VAR to interfere regardless of unjust and shambolic outcome or the disregard for Law

Last edited:
I disagree completely with regards to this incident. This isn't a VAR problem, it's a sloppily written, inconsistent and confusing handball law problem. VAR isn't the problem here, VAR is the lens that highlights the poor law.

To borrow your analogy, handball is the car that's designed in such a way that it can't be driven in wet conditions. VAR is the fact that sometimes it rains.
VAR is also the problem. The protocol is the problem. C&O is the problem.

VAR is also the problem. The protocol is the problem. C&O is the problem.
If the handball law was clear and well written in a way that it could be consistently applied, VAR would not be "the problem", it would just be the way consistent handball results were achieved.

Or maybe it wouldn't. 🤷‍♂️ But the idea that we're trying to blame VAR for the fact that top-level referees don't know what they are and are not expected to give as handball is looking in the wrong place, at least for this specific incident.

I don't see a problem here. The ball has bounced off his chest onto his arm which was out wide by his side so he was making himself bigger. Anyway, this is exactly the same as the Liverpool game against Toulouse and I was told that Europe did it differently over there so this is also a valid foul.

If the handball law was clear and well written in a way that it could be consistently applied
It doesn't matter how it's written, the Confederations will go off and do what they want anyway
Then the Domestic Leagues will council their refs differently and any notion of consistency morphs into (untsistency!

Then my Step 5 players will go mental when I wave it away this Saturday. They will rightly think I'm an idiot and likely be sin binned and only a really decent referee will cope with the fallout. Laughably nuts really

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how it's written, the Confederations will go off and do what they want anyway
Then the Domestic Leagues will council their refs differently and any notion of consistency morphs into (untsistency!

Then my Step 5 players will go mental when I wave it away this Saturday. They will rightly think I'm an idiot and likely be sin binned and only a really decent referee will cope with the fallout. Laughably nuts really
I'm not quite fatalistic enough to think that it's impossible to create a proper handball law.

But yes that's exactly the point - this is a problem with handball that is a problem all the way down to grassroots. VAR is just a tool that happens to show it up a bit more in this specific case.

I don't see a problem here. The ball has bounced off his chest onto his arm which was out wide by his side so he was making himself bigger.

A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.

I’d say his arm was in a natural position for the body movement

Well in this case he has his arms well out so surely making his body bigger? I am sure I've seen plenty of players come in with their hands behind their back in most cases nowadays so with his arms so far out he was asking for an obvious hand ball being given against him (probably why Mbappe flicked the ball as he did).

The player is allowed to have his arms out if that is part of his natural movement. If he extended them out wide then that would make it ‘unnatural’.

Ironically having his arms behind his back is a much more ‘unnatural’ position than where he had them.

Back