A&H

PAR NEW

!!! Just how much more wasted time do you want in the game?

I’m pretty sure all the feeds go into the VAR room live. So a TV company would have to be awfully prescient to know what feeds not to have in advance of the game to try to influence the VAR.
Like I said, only repeating what I've heard/seen discussed via other means. Does the VAR have complete control over what feeds/angles are made available to them within a hurried time frame? I honestly don't know. It wasn't football but rugby that first raised the question anyway. 😉

The Referee Store
!!! Just how much more wasted time do you want in the game?

In the cycling community there is a saying about when it comes to building a bike: Light, Cheap, Strong... Pick two.

With regards to the current state of technology in football I would say the game expects: Referee in control, Correct decisions, A flowing game... So pick two.

Referee in control and correct decisions being made? - Accept that time is needed to review decisions (like rugby / cricket / tennis etc)
Correct decisions and a flowing game? - Accept that VAR needs to intervene more and recommend action to the referee. (like rugby / cricket)
Flowing game with the referee in control? - Accept less / no intervention with some mistakes being made (much like football is (outside of elite) / used to be)

Just how I see it. Elite football is very naïve in that it expects this technology to be used but will not accept any impact on the flow of the game hence we have the version we have now where decisions are rushed or referees are not recommended to review for fear of slowing the game or overruling the referee.

IMO, soccer is a unique sport in the nature of flow. That is part of what makes it special. VAR has interrupted that to a non-trivial degree already. Having the R run to the touchline for every PK shout would vastly increase that disruption and fundamentally change the nature of the flow in the game. IMO it is a horrible idea. I’d rather toss video review than go down that path—a path that would definitely affect my interest in sitting down to watch a game.

Contrary opinion alert ...!

No, no, breathe again, I'm in no way going to suggest that this was a correct penalty decision :) .

My opinion is that the handball law is currently EXCELLENTLY worded. It is just being horribly and inconsistently applied, especially at higher levels.

Basically, if you ignore the Accidental Handball resulting in a goal piece, then, in law, there are currently just two actions that should result in a handball offence. Either the player deliberately moves their hand / arm towards the ball or they place their arms in a position which is unnatural for the body movement being undertaken. We can all agree that these two things are against the spirit of the game and should be penalised, right? And any other touch of the hand / arm to the ball is a complete accident and shouldn't be penalised ... makes sense to me! So ... if all referees / associations were properly applying the law as it is written then we would be having far fewer handballs given and (a little) less debate on a subjective topic where some debate is inevitable.

Net, net, the 'solution' to this is absolutely NOT to (yet again) change the way things are written. But simply to enforce the current law properly as it is written and intended.

Contrary opinion alert ...!

No, no, breathe again, I'm in no way going to suggest that this was a correct penalty decision :) .

My opinion is that the handball law is currently EXCELLENTLY worded. It is just being horribly and inconsistently applied, especially at higher levels.

Basically, if you ignore the Accidental Handball resulting in a goal piece, then, in law, there are currently just two actions that should result in a handball offence. Either the player deliberately moves their hand / arm towards the ball or they place their arms in a position which is unnatural for the body movement being undertaken. We can all agree that these two things are against the spirit of the game and should be penalised, right? And any other touch of the hand / arm to the ball is a complete accident and shouldn't be penalised ... makes sense to me! So ... if all referees / associations were properly applying the law as it is written then we would be having far fewer handballs given and (a little) less debate on a subjective topic where some debate is inevitable.

Net, net, the 'solution' to this is absolutely NOT to (yet again) change the way things are written. But simply to enforce the current law properly as it is written and intended.
Agree, and this is probably the only area where England have done well with VAR. They are getting far less involved with handball than UEFA are, and there is much less controversy around handling. The Newcastle player's arms were very clearly in an expected position for the movement being undertaken. UEFA seem to have instructed their referees that if the arm is out from the body, no matter what movement the player is making or how close the ball is played from, they should penalise it. That isn't a problem with the laws, it is a problem with the interpretation of them.

Much of a muchness. If the law can be interpreted wrong, it's not specific or clear enough.

Much of a muchness. If the law can be interpreted wrong, it's not specific or clear enough.
I dunno. I find people can misinterpret darn near anything. I mean, how much more specific can you get than natural for what they are doing. This part seems to be being ignored rather than being a lack of clarity. IFAB added it specifically to get rid of some of the unreasonable “biggering” calls, but it seems to just be completely ignored in some places. (I do think part of it is that in slo mo, many things look unnatural even when they aren’t.)

I find myself likening the whole clamouring by one team for a "handball/penalty" in collusion with the on field referee being advised by VAR to go and look at the pitch-side monitor, to us at grassroots level giving the decision that "the game expects" 🤔
Maybe I'm wrong to draw the same parallels but the game is so subjective in all all areas...maybe even at the top level it seems (?)

I dunno. I find people can misinterpret darn near anything. I mean, how much more specific can you get than natural for what they are doing. This part seems to be being ignored rather than being a lack of clarity. IFAB added it specifically to get rid of some of the unreasonable “biggering” calls, but it seems to just be completely ignored in some places. (I do think part of it is that in slo mo, many things look unnatural even when they aren’t.)
We'll exactly. "Natural" in IFAB-speak is clearly not expected to include arms being out for balance, or reflexes to protect your face, or when correcting for being pushed up by a moving opponent. This particular incident aside, handball has been given for all of those and considered "correct" even though most laymen would consider all of those natural actions.

So where "natural" doesn't actually mean natural, there's a definite clarity issue!

We'll exactly. "Natural" in IFAB-speak is clearly not expected to include arms being out for balance, or reflexes to protect your face, or when correcting for being pushed up by a moving opponent. This particular incident aside, handball has been given for all of those and considered "correct" even though most laymen would consider all of those natural actions.

So where "natural" doesn't actually mean natural, there's a definite clarity issue!
Is it a question of IFAB speak or of how associations are implementing? the more I think about it, the more I think that in application, not withstanding the language of Law 12, what biggering is meaning is the player “fails to take reasonable precautions to avoid the ball striking the player’s arm.“

PRO, the US Professional Referee Organization, just made what I think is the first formal statement that HB in the goal mouth should be considered differently from elsewhere on the field. It’s the third scenario in a playoff edition of PRO’s Week in Review, which u usually reviews three scenarios where VAR did not recommend an OFR (usually they only cover on field reviews). The first two scenarios are also interesting--the first is a possible DOGSO and the second is an OSP question (MLS uses clear error and no line drawing for overturning the call on the field). https://proreferees.com/2023/12/01/2023-inside-video-review-mls-cup-playoffs-conference-semifinals/ For those interested in how VARs work, it gives a significant amount of the internal discussion in the VAR room.

Back