Ak47556

Level 9 Referee
Just done my course on Friday

I am 14
Doing my first game on Sunday tommorow with no mentor
I am refereeing u13
Any helpful tips

The Referee Store
Do you actually have a mentor but they can't be there? If not deffo get in touch with your cfa...

Other than that...believe in yourself and blow your whistle loudly and confidently

Do you actually have a mentor but they can't be there? If not deffo get in touch with your cfa...

Other than that...believe in yourself and blow your whistle loudly and confidently
I'm honestly not sure I've been told there's no mentor
Can you add me so I can ask questions

Just ask here! No question is a daft question...

Where in the country are you? There may be someone on here who can help out...

Just apply what you've learnt where you can.

Be confident, big loud blow to start, and do your best until the big loud blow to finish. All that stuff in between will be a blur if you keep a smile on your face.

As es1 said, ask away

My first game is without a mentor tommorow and I don't know if it's part of my first 5 games
I don't need to register anything before I go I just turn up and need to tell the assistant referees what I want them to do
Is this normal?

If it's a 9 or 11 a side match with off sides, it counts. You need to keep a note of the match and the result. You will probably get a form for complete from your Referee Development Officer (RDO) where you record your 5 matches. I'd also recommend getting into the ha it of recording the match and any cards on the whole game system.

Turn up ready to go with all your gear and crack on. The assistants will be club assistants, so just ask them to help with, this can depend on which county fa you are in. In mine (northumberland), we tend to ask the club assistant referees to do ins/outs for throws and touchline and offsides. If they are doing offsides, just remember your decision is final.

My first game is without a mentor tommorow and I don't know if it's part of my first 5 games
I don't need to register anything before I go I just turn up and need to tell the assistant referees what I want them to do
Is this normal?
Your RDO will have supplied you with a 5-match form, and advised which games count.
No registration is required.
Club Assistants will probably be regulars in that role.
Enjoy!

If it's a 9 or 11 a side match with off sides, it counts. You need to keep a note of the match and the result. You will probably get a form for complete from your Referee Development Officer (RDO) where you record your 5 matches. I'd also recommend getting into the ha it of recording the match and any cards on the whole game system.

Turn up ready to go with all your gear and crack on. The assistants will be club assistants, so just ask them to help with, this can depend on which county fa you are in. In mine (northumberland), we tend to ask the club assistant referees to do ins/outs for throws and touchline and offsides. If they are doing offsides, just remember your decision is final.

You allow club officials to do offside? Wow! I'd never let that happen myself.

I find there really decent down where I live. It’s not that common you find one who is dishonest. I coach a u16 boys side and (of course) referee, so get to see plenty of club assistants. Most are fair.

Yeah absolutely, but I make the final decision and I let the CARs know that before the match.

It seems to be a county FA thing. In Northumberland, CARs do offsides, in Durham they don't.

Used to think the same having operated in an area that didn't let CARs do offside.
However I have only had positive experiences with CARs I have had since moving to an area that does use CARs for offside

Yeah absolutely, but I make the final decision and I let the CARs know that before the match.

It seems to be a county FA thing. In Northumberland, CARs do offsides, in Durham they don't.
I'm in Cheshire/Merseyside and here its the sole duty of the referee as there is the chance of bias or at least the suggestion of it.

Used to think the same having operated in an area that didn't let CARs do offside.
However I have only had positive experiences with CARs I have had since moving to an area that does use CARs for offside
Do you think they are knowledgeable enough considering a lot of refs still get confused by the tweaking and interpretations in recent times?

I'm in Cheshire/Merseyside and here its the sole duty of the referee as there is the chance of bias or at least the suggestion of it.
Where my roots are.
Do you think they are knowledgeable enough considering a lot of refs still get confused by the tweaking and interpretations in recent times?
They are only indicating offside position. Still the refs call. Give em a good brief and that helps. Out county run club AR courses too which helps

We use CARs where I'm based, and like others have said, they get told to put the flag up if they're 110% sure the player was in an offside position. It's still my decision then whether they were committing an offence or not.

I generally find if you make sure they know this in the brief there's no issues if you overrule in the game (especially if you mention this to captains during the initial talk).

The only real 'contentious' situation is when someone's flagged but a teammate goes for the ball, but a shout of "He's not involved" generally keeps the game moving.

That said I did have to book my CAR the other week because he felt I wasn't being fair with when I was stopping the game for injuries in a youth match (U13/14)

Back