A&H

Open Age my first in the middle

andy love

Level 7 Referee
well guys and girls, today i finally have my first in the middle, nerves, which i thought would be there are not YET!!

i can only help but think that the 3 assistant duties i have done can only of helped me to this point, but we shall see as i get into my car and drive to the venue and blow that whistle to call in the captains:eek::eek:

The Referee Store
Relax and you'll be fine!

My advice for today. Smile! You'll be fine. You'll soon get into the swing of things

how'd it go? always analyse your performance after a game! even if its just 3 good 3 bad and 3 ways to develop! you'll always progress using that

OK were do i begin,

got there nice and early checked the pitch, had subs as linesmen, gave them a brief, asked for the usual ball out of play and if they were confident flag for offside.
coin toss, still no nerves, then i blow the whistle for kick off.

i lost control of the match, within 20 mins i realized that i was not communicating, there was a few shoves in the back by both teams throughout the game, and i had a penalty to give as the player had his hand all around the attacker, both teams agreed with this decision, i was receiving mild descent throughout the game, and there were two challenges that i should of showed a yellow and i could not bring it out, just did not feel confident, the linesmen on both teams however were bloody good and this showed when they flag for a foul against there own teams. i feel that my positioning during play was ok. think there were a few more dodge challenges, but i allowed the play to go on, when i now feel that i should of blown.

at times i felt well out of my depth, but i got on with it, i know it is soon but i have another game tomorrow and i was appointed to this last min, i was meant to be a linesman at another match, and tomorrows game is a friend university league which has just been affiliated with Devon FA.

now i have the first game out of the way lets see!!

i will do the self assessment form and post the results here some time tonight.

Tell you what, you need to cheer up! i got assessed last week and i got a 40 mark off the club and god knows what off the assessor! Do you know what caused it?
positioning and confidence!
you had a good game for your 1st just make sure next week you make sure them bad things you picked out aren't as bad next week, even if they still happen but not as much or bad is still showing improvement. keep striving for success and you'll get there.

Don't worry about feeling like that though it happens and will happen again. its also good your noticing where you go wrong just improve next week and you'll be fine

cheers Arran when do you find out what score you are given, by the teams, as this will be interesting to know!!

its a shame but under our county we normally dont find out scores. you may be able to get them from the league referee secretary but differs for every league.

yeah that is a shame, how are we to learn and better our self's if we don't know what score we got.

To be honest I wouldn't get too hung up on club marks. One club will mark low, whereas other will mark higher.

Assessments will tell you more. You'll know when you've had a great game. Trust me!

Andy, don't be too critical on yourself, we've all been in your position. Try not to dwell on today's game to much and learn from it instead.

You now know what to look out for and how you should deal with it, you now need to go do it

who needs club marks tbh if we can self evaluate, i try to talk to the managers at the end, see how they feel i did. usually they pick up on the bad points :D then at least you sort of know where you may be going wrong

thanks guys, i have one tomorrow afternoon, and i am sort of looking forward to it. i have been told it will be like a group of mate having a kick about in the local park, which is always fun so should be good

Andy,

I don't plan on repeating what everyone else but keep your chin up and look to your next game. I'm sure everyone ref will agree we are our own worse critic.

Every game you will learn something new, whether your on line or in the middle.

Confidence is a big thing and this will come with time. The more games you do the more confident you will be with the whistle and the cards.

Just a point I always say to club officials that I will take all the fouls as you may think its not a foul and if they flag your in a sticky situation esp as they are not appointed officials.

Best of luck for the next game.

Dave

Don't beat yourself up. We've all done similar. I've started a game with 23 players on the pitch. We've all made, and will continue to make mistakes, but its how you deal with them and move on from them that counts.

exactly how i felt about last weeks assessment. saddle it for a tonight then ride it out in tomorrows game!

hi guys woke this morning and feel better, only one thing is still nagging me, and it is this.

a player is about to take a corner and when setting up he removes the corner flag, i know we can not play without one, but what infringement has this player caused and where in the LOTG has this player committed an offence!! i can not find it anywhere. :confused:

i would ask him to put it back in, if he refuses caution for dissent. then ask captain to come in and help out.

He's not commuted an offence as such. You need to play with corner flags but he hasn't broken a law by removing it. You'd just ask him to replace it, if he doesn't, and shows any form of dissent, caution the player.

Back