A&H

Millers v Shrews

.....wow. That's.....an overreaction. Sure, I missed that part in what you were responding to thus misinterpreted your post, don't mind apologising for that.

But...well, I'll leave the rest of that to the mods. :eek:

Apology accepted, may I suggest u read thoroughly before making accusations.

The Referee Store
I'm sure those of us who AR regularly, have been told by the man in the middle that if penalty is missed, then unless GK is a couple of yards from attacker then he isn't interested in the possibility of a retake.

That's what I've been told countless times.

I've never been comfortable with the idea of an AR making those decisions....Although I tend to think the ref can watch the keeper while keeping other players in the peripheral vision and make the decision himself.

I tend to be a bit stricter on how far the keeper has come off the line if he's made a fingertip save as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on track..... I think I only ever gave encroachment 3 times, twice though it led to WW3, I’m not saying don’t give it, I didn’t give a shat, just be prepared for the miffed players you are penalizing in what usually is a game changing situation.

I'm sure those of us who AR regularly, have been told by the man in the middle that if penalty is missed, then unless GK is a couple of yards from attacker then he isn't interested in the possibility of a retake.

That's what I've been told countless times.
More than that, I've been told as the AR that my job is ball over the line or not ONLY - if the GK is far enough off the line that a retake is necessary, the ref will be able to see that from his position. At the very least for the sake of consistency at the two different ends of the pitch, I don't think this is a bad approach.

I've just deleted a load of content from this topic and issued warnings to those involved. I did ask people to play nicely as I could see this one degenerating as quickly as it started, but ….

Have given enchroachment a few times - easiest way I’ve found to deal is, once the ball is placed, go to the top of the box, walk past all players and loudly say “do not enter the box until the ball has been played” - easy to sell then.

Have given enchroachment a few times - easiest way I’ve found to deal is, once the ball is placed, go to the top of the box, walk past all players and loudly say “do not enter the box until the ball has been played” - easy to sell then.

Many referees do this then completely ignore the encroachment!

Many referees do this then completely ignore the encroachment!
Just to echo this from a slightly different angle. If you don't intend to penalise 'trivial' encroachment, I'd advise against strong words to suggest you will. The words might get a tick on the assessors pad, but they can also bite you on the backside. I prefer to be conspicuous when walking along the edge of the box and D, but I refrain from words because I'm only intent on taking action when an advantage has been gained from the offence

I "remind" the players that they have to stay out of the D until the ball is kicked, but agree that even then it's fairly rare to penalise for this.

The solution to the encroachment problem is simple....make all other players except for keeper and penalty taker stand in centre circle as for KFTPM. If the penalty is scored fine, we go to kick off. If missed or saved, a goal kick is given (only one shot allowed, no rebounds). It wont prevent refs letting keepers get away with coming yards off the line, but will solve a host of other problems.

The solution to the encroachment problem is simple....make all other players except for keeper and penalty taker stand in centre circle as for KFTPM. If the penalty is scored fine, we go to kick off. If missed or saved, a goal kick is given (only one shot allowed, no rebounds). It wont prevent refs letting keepers get away with coming yards off the line, but will solve a host of other problems.

Ridiculous ;)

My take on it is, if a professional footballer or bob with the beer belly & hangover on a Sunday morning can’t beat a keeper from 12yrds then that’s there own fault.

If you want no controversy & no hard luck story’s with the rebound then guess what BURY the fecker!

Who remembers the North American version where they’d run from the half way line and have so many seconds to score 1 v 1, it’s a bit more of a challenge because keepers can narrow the angles etc and it’s more skillful to score than just belting or playing it to one corner!

Who remembers the North American version where they’d run from the half way line and have so many seconds to score 1 v 1, it’s a bit more of a challenge because keepers can narrow the angles etc and it’s more skillful to score than just belting or playing it to one corner!

Isn’t that how they decided games in the MLS, pretty sure it was.

Isn’t that how they decided games in the MLS, pretty sure it was.
It's the way NHL (Ice hockey) has done it for ages and it works really well for them, and for other sports like field hockey that have adopted something similar. I'd certainly like to see it given a go!

It's the way NHL (Ice hockey) has done it for ages and it works really well for them, and for other sports like field hockey that have adopted something similar. I'd certainly like to see it given a go!

Defo remember seing it in the states MLS I believe, early to mid 90’s

You probably would as a neutral but it's about it being a fair "penalty" after a foul or transgression has occurred.

How would you feel if you were just about to sidefoot the ball into the net during play and were cynically scythed down by an opponent, preventing the goal being scored? Which would you prefer to even up the balance? A straight shot from 12 yards out with the GK on his line or a run on goal from 35 yards out, against the clock, with the GK moving towards you? They're hardly the same thing .... ;)

You probably would as a neutral but it's about it being a fair "penalty" after a foul or transgression has occurred.

How would you feel if you were just about to sidefoot the ball into the net during play and were cynically scythed down by an opponent, preventing the goal being scored? Which would you prefer to even up the balance? A straight shot from 12 yards out with the GK on his line or a run on goal from 35 yards out, against the clock, with the GK moving towards you? They're hardly the same thing .... ;)
In rugby they have a Penalty Try where if you would have scored but there was some transgression it’s given anyway!

Maybe the NASL version is better for after time shootouts rather than penalties in the normal sense. Would be easy to put another 10 yard delay from the box if encroachment can’t be policed properly!

Back