A&H

Millers v Shrews

The Referee Store
Find a frame where his foot touches the ball whilst ball is on spot, see where everybody is then.

View attachment 1998
I can confirm the flag bit is correct.... But.....

You’ll struggle to find a ref blow for this when a goal has been scored you’ll find it even harder to find one blow for it when it’s been missed.

Easy option just let it ride, player missed pen no drama on you no complaints move on & don’t draw attention to yourself.

10 players in the box, plus GK off line (probably next frames).... assessor would be choking on his 99...

We get this in the HAL all the time. Really getting sick of seeing players run PAST the referee. Has there been a directive to all professional leagues to ignore all player encroachment?

This all comes back to the whole 'paying spectators aren't there to watch the referee' garbage. Which basically means referees are encouraged to just make it up as they go along. Which, ironically, makes it MORE about the ref, not LESS.

You’ll struggle to find a ref blow for this when a goal has been scored you’ll find it even harder to find one blow for it when it’s been missed.

Easy option just let it ride, player missed pen no drama on you no complaints move on & don’t draw attention to yourself.
:wall::wall::wall::wall:
Or you could do your freaking job as per the LOTG.....

We get this in the HAL all the time. Really getting sick of seeing players run PAST the referee. Has there been a directive to all professional leagues to ignore all player encroachment?

This all comes back to the whole 'paying spectators aren't there to watch the referee' garbage. Which basically means referees are encouraged to just make it up as they go along. Which, ironically, makes it MORE about the ref, not LESS.

:wall::wall::wall::wall:
Or you could do your freaking job as per the LOTG.....

Where did I say I would take that approach? I’m just giving an opinion of what i believe referees mindsets to be.

It was a Wembley play off final & the ref didn’t fancy making a spectacle of himself I don’t bloody blame him, right or wrong the only people discussing it is us on here..

Had he ordered a re take & they scored millions world wide would have been discussing it.

You come accross as the type of ref that for the full 90mins will only play to the letter of the law & will not allow a single second of common sense to prevail.

:rolleyes:Righto champ. Seems like you are advocating that the encroachment law doesn't exist after all, given your childish jab at the end.

:rolleyes:Righto champ. Seems like you are advocating that the encroachment law doesn't exist after all, given your childish jab at the end.

No childish jab I’m just saying I’m getting the vibe that your the type to ignore something I was strongly advised on my course to consider & that was common sense.

I’m not advocating changing laws I’m just saying at times in a match you need to use your noddle to prevent controversy.

The taker in this instance wasn’t impeded he took and missed the penalty fair and square the only person to benefit from a re take would have been him. (Right or wrong in law it just comes down to common sense for me).

Anyway although I’m not arguing with you it was a constructive conversation a warning has been issued so I’ll leave it at that.

The OP is a very good post. The application of this Law is completely sporadic and inconsistent. We've seen officials go through short phases of clamping down on these infringements, but this approach never lasts. Again, the Law probably needs changing, but what's the point in having a Law if the M.O. is to completely ignore it?

I used this as and example in my thread for "What football expects" trying to figure out how did it come about. I don't think its about the referee not wanting to be the centre of attention, its a bit too late for that after awarding a penalty in most cases.

I think top tier referees take the 'fairness' of the law into their own hands (as they are taught to be more of a game manager than law enforcer).
  • A player who scores a good penalty should not be punished because of a team mate's trivial offence which had no impact on play at all.
  • A player who misses a penalty should not get a second chance because of an opponent's trivial offence which had no impact on play at all.
I think this started when the law allowed 'trifling'. But that no longer exists. The referees continued to use it and was learnt by newer generation referees. It has become the norm and even being taught by some instructors form the 'trifling' generation. Since the word trifling is no longer in the law the practice is basically, if encroachment has no impact on the outcome then players can do what they like. It has got to a stage now that it has gone from trifling to obvious misapplication of the law. Its is now out of control and IFAB is looking at options to change the process so that it can be eradicated.

I used this as and example in my thread for "What football expects" trying to figure out how did it come about. I don't think its about the referee not wanting to be the centre of attention, its a bit too late for that after awarding a penalty in most cases.

I think top tier referees take the 'fairness' of the law into their own hands (as they are taught to be more of a game manager than law enforcer).
  • A player who scores a good penalty should not be punished because of a team mate's trivial offence which had no impact on play at all.
  • A player who misses a penalty should not get a second chance because of an opponent's trivial offence which had no impact on play at all.
I think this started when the law allowed 'trifling'. But that no longer exists. The referees continued to use it and was learnt by newer generation referees. It has become the norm and even being taught by some instructors form the 'trifling' generation. Since the word trifling is no longer in the law the practice is basically, if encroachment has no impact on the outcome then players can do what they like. It has got to a stage now that it has gone from trifling to obvious misapplication of the law. Its is now out of control and IFAB is looking at options to change the process so that it can be eradicated.

My point exactly why enforce a law being broken that has had no affect whatsoever on the outcome of the penalty..

He missed it fair & square the 10 players behind him had no baring on it whatsoever, use common sense & crack on with the game.

I’ll stick to your above statement regarding pens, have done from the start & will continue to, if an encroachment causes a problem or an unfair outcome to either side then I’ll blow if it’s not affecting the outcome of the pen then play on gents.

My point exactly why enforce a law being broken that has had no affect whatsoever on the outcome of the penalty.
Because its in law in black and white. Very clear. No room for interpretation or opinion. And the 15 year old junior referee who sees this on TV doesn't know about the thought process of 'no impact on outcome' in the referee's head. All he sees is that the referee in the EPL etc is ignoring this bot of the law so I will do the same. And in his game, the player who is already half way down kicks the rebound in and he allows it.

Because its in law in black and white. Very clear. No room for interpretation or opinion. And the 15 year old junior referee who sees this on TV doesn't know about the thought process of 'no impact on outcome' in the referee's head. All he sees is that the referee in the EPL etc is ignoring this bot of the law so I will do the same. And in his game, the player who is already half way down kicks the rebound in and he allows it.

What are you suggesting then..

That the ref was right or wrong?

I’d hope a 15yr old ref could understand the logic behind fairness of the law / outcome of the penalty not influenced.

What are you suggesting then..

That the ref was right or wrong?

I’d hope a 15yr old ref could understand the logic behind fairness of the law / outcome of the penalty not influenced.
So why have the law then, if we should just ignore it?

We're not talking about just a step or two inside the box - these are quite blatant breaches.

Also, try to make your point without trying to make petty little insults and insinuation that the person your responding to is worse than a 15 year old ref. We can respectfully disagree on here, don't need those sorts of personal attacks.

I'm sure those of us who AR regularly, have been told by the man in the middle that if penalty is missed, then unless GK is a couple of yards from attacker then he isn't interested in the possibility of a retake.

That's what I've been told countless times.

Post deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are u on about!

Read the original post I responded to!

He said pro referees tend to let these types of things go & that it sets a bad example to young 15yr old referees!

I said I would expect a 15yr old ref to understand the logic and thinking behind it!

What b*llox are you going on about insulting someone saying they are worse than a 15yr old ref!

WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON FFS!!

.....wow. That's.....an overreaction. Sure, I missed that part in what you were responding to thus misinterpreted your post and responded due to that, my apologies for that.

But..as for the rest of it and your follow-up post.....well, I'll leave the rest of that to the mods. :eek:

Back