A&H

Match fees

Reffy

Level 7 Referee
Evening all,

Took a game on today, which was a women's open aged fixture. Game went ok with the exception of some women, whom I think was the secretary of the home team. After 80minutes with the home team losing 1-0 she shouts to me "your an f***ing joke ref" all because I didn't give a foul for her team. Bit surprised but as there was a young boy on the side lines aged about 3 or 4. I went over and said " do you think that's appropriate language in front of children - you need to think about the way you conduct yourself". Cue the end of the game, no match report form or match fees came over to me. The away team paid promptly but after waiting around for 15 minutes I left empty handed. I don't feel it my responsibity to chase people around the pitch so went home. I have informed the league and left it at that. Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else and what happened.

The Referee Store
A good tip is to try and sort out the match fee upon arrival. This way if anything kicks off during the game there's no uncomfortable exchange to be had at the end of the match.

A good tip is to try and sort out the match fee upon arrival. This way if anything kicks off during the game there's no uncomfortable exchange to be had at the end of the match.

Depends on competition rules. In the leagues I cover, the rules state that match fee is to be paid immediately after the completion of the game. In practice that means 10-15 minutes later in the changing rooms,however I did have one game where the manager ran onto the pitch straight after the game to pay me before I could make it back to the changing rooms. I wouldn't have minded other than it was absolutely throwing it down and I just wanted to get inside!

Its normally covered in competition/league rules. In one of the leagues I cover the rules are that the ref must be paid within 15 minutes otherwise the team gets a fine. I'm generally in the shower 15minutes later so I am not too precious about them paying me a bit later. However, I do not agree that I should go hunting for payment, so if I have to the team get reported. I did have a game last year where I came out of the shower (I wasn't too long) and found that the whole home team had left, including the guy who was supposed to have paid me. He did ring me up later and apologised and arrangements were made to drop some money round the next day. It still cost their team a fiver or so though.

In one of the leagues I do I get paid before the game which I find a much better system simply because if something does happen during the game, you've already got your money and you can avoid/limit disputes after the match.

Out of interest, what's the most people get paid?

In my league it's £30 for a U15s upwards, £28 for U13-14, £25 for U11-12, £20 for U9-10.

This thread is already beginning to t me off :)

i'm assuming you get travel on top, Mike. My travel ranges from 32p per mile to 37p per mile

Schools are interesting - start of season was told £25 all-in. then, one school gave me £30 without me asking and, since then, a second.

i did ask my county schools sec , since there was nothing in the rules, but he didn't reply for whatever reason

Last edited:
Out of interest Haywain, how do you get school games? Is it through the main county fa or somewhere else? Cheers

This thread is already beginning to t me off :)

i'm assuming you get travel on top, Mike. My travel ranges from 32p per mile to £37p per mile

Schools are interesting - start of season was told £25 all-in. then, one school gave me £30 without me asking and, since then, a second.

i did ask my county schools sec , since there was nothing in the rules but he didn't reply for whatever reason

@haywain no, travel is included in the fees which I presume is why ours are higher than most of the other fees I've seen on here.

Initially, we got an email from the County Central Appointments Officer asking anyone interested in refereeing schools games to contact the person responsible for co-ordinating refs for school games.

county f.a. website, member services log-in also allows you to tick schools as one of the categories that you want to ref in.

suggest you give your referee co-ordinator at County a quick call to see what the correct procedure is in your County. Can't help thinking that they probably all differ slightly from County to County :)

i think that some schools also have a retainer list of refs that they contact when they need one tho i've not looked at this option so far as i get plenty of school games through the county

I do hope that is a joke Micky - otherwise I'll be coming to join you in your county!!!! The worrying thing is you probably aren't joking as well!

I do hope that is a joke Micky - otherwise I'll be coming to join you in your county!!!! The worrying thing is you probably aren't joking as well!
That's what we get haha, academy is £35 all ages. Although, when you go amateur or junior it is a smaller jump up to £40.

When I last did junior/youth football I used to get £6-£8 depending on age group, plus 10p a mile travel.

How things have changed!

Wow I'm jealous lol. Most I can get for doing a youth game is £25 all in for an academy middle
I think it is because there are a lack of referees up here, which is why the fees are so high in order to attract newer ones. I know up the very top of Scotland there are regularly youth games cancelled due to lack of availability of qualified referees. There has also been a big push to fast track young referees throughout the game here.

In my league I get paid before the match, U11 £12, U12-13 £14, U14-15 £16, U16 and up £18 + 30p per mile expenses :( I feel ripped off compared to yours.

Back