A&H

Manager turns up 5 mins into first half

I know not all leagues require team sheets but I'm surprised the amount of people here who don't indentify the captains before the game?

I always have a 20 second chat to introduce and tell them they are here to help me and their team.

The Referee Store
I know not all leagues require team sheets but I'm surprised the amount of people here who don't indentify the captains before the game?

I always have a 20 second chat to introduce and tell them they are here to help me and their team.

Am I being miserable, or do some referees talk to people too much?

Arrive - talk to home manager for 10 mins, talk to away manager for 10 mins, talk to players at warm up, talk to captains, talk to speccys, talk to secretaries, talk to CAR's, talk to groundsman, talk to random man with dog?

Surprised there's time for any football!

I'm not saying I'm right and everybody else is wrong (I do have a habit of being to the point and saying no more than required), but should we really have to tell every single individual in minute detail what we expect of them?

Can we not assume some of the very basics are known by the people in the roles?

Don't get me wrong captains brief is perhaps the most important, but is that not done at the coin toss?

For me that brief, although addressed to captains is as much for the benefit of the other players.

If he comes forward for coin toss, he is the captain in my eyes.

@Nottsman - why would you question whether someone is captain or not if they come forward for the coin toss?

In the Saturday league in which I referee, there are club fines for the captain not wearing an armband. ;)

Am I being miserable, or do some referees talk to people too much?

Arrive - talk to home manager for 10 mins, talk to away manager for 10 mins, talk to players at warm up, talk to captains, talk to speccys, talk to secretaries, talk to CAR's, talk to groundsman, talk to random man with dog?

Surprised there's time for any football!

I'm not saying I'm right and everybody else is wrong (I do have a habit of being to the point and saying no more than required), but should we really have to tell every single individual in minute detail what we expect of them?

Can we not assume some of the very basics are known by the people in the roles?

Don't get me wrong captains brief is perhaps the most important, but is that not done at the coin toss?

For me that brief, although addressed to captains is as much for the benefit of the other players.
For me, if you don't talk to these people, they won't respect you. And if you're a likable guy and you talk to them, they are less likely to kick off.

Reactions: DB
In my area, at grades where teams actually use changerooms we do the equipment check in the changerooms (I know, but when in Rome, right?). It's normal, so it's expected. Ref usually stands there introduces his team while the AR's go around. Good time to mention anything of concern - law changes if early in the season, different field markings, any particular concerns with the weather, but I wouldn't bother apart from that.
When the captains come in for the toss, it's just the norm to have a chat with them. Mine's just along the lines of 'look after your boys before I have to, and I might call on you to help out'. But while the AR's are doing the net checks, we're instructed to approach both managers and outline the expectations of behaviour in the dugouts as well as substitution procedure. This just gets frustrating 15 rounds into the season, manager doesn't want to hear it but we don't have a choice! A smile and a bit of humility helps.

I would be fairly lenient due to venue change with kick off time etc. I'd check both teams were happy to go ahead. If the manager turned up late demanding a team talk he would have been told to leave the field and do so at half time. Once the game has started thats it as far as I'm concerned .

I would be fairly lenient due to venue change with kick off time etc. I'd check both teams were happy to go ahead. If the manager turned up late demanding a team talk he would have been told to leave the field and do so at half time. Once the game has started thats it as far as I'm concerned .
I thought I had been lenient. We did KO late and nobody had mentioned anything to me, even though I had a chat with the guy warming them up. You would think he would have mentioned it

@Isaac sounds like you done everything you could. Personally I never really make an effort to check who the manager of the team is. As such I introduce myself and pay each member of the "staff" with the same respect. Its odd no one mentioned it at the time, but also nothing says the manager has to be there for a game to go ahead.

@Isaac sounds like you done everything you could. Personally I never really make an effort to check who the manager of the team is. As such I introduce myself and pay each member of the "staff" with the same respect. Its odd no one mentioned it at the time, but also nothing says the manager has to be there for a game to go ahead.
That's what really hit me tbh. I was just confused that nobody had mentioned it. You would think somebody would go. 'Hang on, we don't have a manager'

Back