A&H

LOTG Questions for Championship Goalkeeper

Hassan Rajwani

Hi all,

Last year I sat down with Brighton and Hove Albion's Glenn Murray to do a short LOTG quiz with him. Next week we're interviewing a Championship Goalkeeper and I'd love to crowdsource some great LOTG questions related to GKs for him to answer. If yours gets picked we'll definitely shout you out in the vid.

Here's last years interview: Glenn Murray Interview on YouTube

Thanks
Hassan

The Referee Store
Keeper takes a goal kick into a strong headwind. Ball leaves the penalty area before the wind blows it back into the box. Keeper picks it up. No contact from any other player. What's the restart?

Keeper takes a goal kick into a strong headwind. Ball leaves the penalty area before the wind blows it back into the box. Keeper picks it up. No contact from any other player. What's the restart?

My answer I haven’t looked it up, indirect free kick to opposition?

Go on tell me I’m wrong

My answer I haven’t looked it up, indirect free kick to opposition?

Go on tell me I’m wrong

What's the most important condition for a goal kick to be correct? It needs to leave the area, hence the game hasn't restarted properly and you retake the restart. It's the same as the simpler, more common situation where the pass from the GK is short and the defender steps back into the penalty area to collect the ball. You retake the kick!

What's the most important condition for a goal kick to be correct? It needs to leave the area, hence the game hasn't restarted properly and you retake the restart. It's the same as the simpler, more common situation where the pass from the GK is short and the defender steps back into the penalty area to collect the ball. You retake the kick!

I get that but wasn’t it stated that the ball left the area?

Doesn’t touch the deck but it leaves the area, just like if a ball is out of play doesn’t have to hit the floor if it’s over the line it’s out, I thought the same would apply in this scenario.

Buffon uses his studs to mark a line on the edge of the goal area at the start of the second half before the kick off. The referee sees this. What is the referee's decision?

God as if our old mate Olly doesn’t have enough on his plate, now we’re going down the pitch marking route lol

I’ve only just got over last night please don’t start it all again lol

Reds are attacking and cross the ball. The Blue GK dives for the ball and the ball ends up touching his elbow as he lays on the ground in his own penalty area. While the ball is touching the GK's elbow, a red player kicks the ball and scores. What is the your decision?

A red attacker's shot is trickling towards the goal. The blue GK can't catch up with the ball so she takes off her boot and throws it at the ball. The boot hits the ball and the ball goes out of play outside the goal over the goal line. What is your decision?

Hello Mr Championship Goalkeeper.

An attacker has a shot which is heading straight into the top corner but it is deflected into the opposite top corner and crosses the line after the ball hits a pigeon flying past. What happens next?

A red attacker's shot is trickling towards the goal. The blue GK can't catch up with the ball so she takes off her boot and throws it at the ball. The boot hits the ball and the ball goes out of play outside the goal over the goal line. What is your decision?

Just when I thought up a quirky weird question about a pigeon I see this one above from you haha.

How about.....

"The ball is going into the goal and the keeper is chasing it. He extends his tongue and manages to knock the ball out of play for a corner kick with his tongue. Is this legal?"

Well the thrown object clause is connected to deliberate handling which the GK cannot commit in the penalty area. I'd rule it as an act of unsporting behavior and restart the game with an IDFK at the top of the goal area. I answered this one just because I needed to work it out myself.

Keeper takes a goal kick, the ball travels 20 yards and then bursts. What is the correct restart?
(Designing tricky but not misleading questions is not as simple as one might think :) )
Well it depends which way he took the shot and where he took it from. If he took it from close to his goal line (within 4 yards of goal line) between the posts. Its always a retake. In a more common situation like below (taken from 6 yard line):

1523580746968.png

If he took it almost directly towards opponent's goal, 20 yards will take it outside the PA. Any other angle and it will still be in the PA.

We are assuming projection is used for travel distance. That is if the ball goes straight up 20 yards, it doesn't count as 'travelled'.
We are also assuming ball travels in straight line (no wind like Big Cats's question). Where the ball travels 10 yards from the kick and the wind makes it travel another 10 yards in the opposite direction.

So all below answers are correct:

- Retake
- Dropped ball
- Retake or a dropped ball
- (the complete answer) Distance travelled is irrelevant. If the ball bursts inside the PA then its a retake. Otherwise its a dropped ball from where it bursts.

Last edited:
Well the thrown object clause is connected to deliberate handling which the GK cannot commit in the penalty area. I'd rule it as an act of unsporting behavior and restart the game with an IDFK at the top of the goal area. I answered this one just because I needed to work it out myself.
1523582332861.png
IFAB Circular, 25 Sep 2017

A goal keeper takes an indirect free kick (for offside) 10 yards from his own goal line a yard outside his own penalty area. He kicks it along the ground to a team mate standing on the other side of the penalty area. He notices an opponent rushing in to intercept so the goal keeper follows the ball. Just before the opponent manages to put a foot on the ball to kick it into goal, the goalkeeper touches the ball a second time and knocks it away from the opponent. The ball at the time was on the penalty spot. No other players in the penalty area at the time. What is the decision if

a. The goalkeeper’s second touch was with his foot.
b. The goalkeeper’s second touch was with his hand.

Back