A&H

"it's not the Premier League"

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Done a game this morning...
Blues v Blacks. U16s.
Had a fair few cards that probably shows I lost control and maybe I did.

First to blue was for a bad tackle, having made a couple similar before so was cautioned for persistent infringement.
Second also to blue was for a reckless foul near half way line SPA.
Half time came and felt I had control.
Just shy of 15 minutes into 2nd half and a third caution. Reckless tackle for black. From that free kick, ball kicked in and player goes down under a challenge and I was perfectly placed to see a good clean tackle with the defender trapping the ball dead. Waved away. Cue the sidelines giving abuse for it but plays goes on and up the other end and out for a throw. The keeper of the team who felt they should've got a penalty shouts on top of his voice "are you f***ing blind ref". Stop throw in to administer a straight red.
Whilst dealing with this, another situation occurred with all 3 coaches on the pitch having a heated argument with a couple of opposing players.
Whistle a few times to get them away and jog over to players and tell them to keep away and stay out of bother. Don't know why it happened so couldn't deal with properly, but stopped it from escalating.
Card count now at 2y1r for blue and 1 for black.
By end of game this finished 3 yellow and 1 red each (technically 4 yellows for blacks as one for 2nd cautionable offence).

Manager of blacks approaches and said best ref, glad I clamped down on the challenges whilst the blues says I have it in for his side as last time I had them I gave a straight red then too but that one was such a late tackle it was in another timezone and would've broken the guys leg if connected properly, it was ridiculous challenge. He will apparently request I never do his side again.

The Referee Store
I told them that they must remain off the field and any further outbursts I would dish out cards to them, but one was a physio/coach so couldn't send him away. I didn't know the cause or whether the players said or done something and by the time I was aware it was calming down which is why I whistled and encouraged the players to just walk away.

I forgot to add that the manager at the end also said he disagreed with the red card to his player for swearing at me even if in law it's correct.

First up, I’d say park the “lost control” point. Seems to be the opposite in fact - you have taken the required action but for whatever reason that hasn’t gone in as far as the teams are concerned. Your cards were appropriately issued, not because you made the godawful mistake that saw everything escalate.

I told them that they must remain off the field and any further outbursts I would dish out cards to them, but one was a physio/coach so couldn't send him away. I didn't know the cause or whether the players said or done something and by the time I was aware it was calming down which is why I whistled and encouraged the players to just walk away.

I forgot to add that the manager at the end also said he disagreed with the red card to his player for swearing at me even if in law it's correct.
The physio/coach can be carded, but if they are the only 1st Aider and receive a red card they are told that's the only reason to stay, and must behave as any further misconduct will be dealt with.
Sounds as though you managed just fine in a feisty game.

Don’t let the card number influence your perception that you’ve lost control. It shows if anything you’ve been in control and have been consistent. Also shows has illdisciplined the teams are

Agree with all the above, sound like generally correct sanctions.

Only slight piece of "coaching advice" is to think about how you approached the red with the GK. You say you don't know why the other incident kicked off at the same time - were you overly focused on the keeper? Nose in book? Or did you not position him so you could see the remainder of the pitch while administering the send off?

I get that it can feel like sending a player off is a top priority, but actually when it's the keeper, you can easily identify him and so maybe it's OK to let that go until after you've dealt with everything else.

Agree with all the above, sound like generally correct sanctions.

Only slight piece of "coaching advice" is to think about how you approached the red with the GK. You say you don't know why the other incident kicked off at the same time - were you overly focused on the keeper? Nose in book? Or did you not position him so you could see the remainder of the pitch while administering the send off?

I get that it can feel like sending a player off is a top priority, but actually when it's the keeper, you can easily identify him and so maybe it's OK to let that go until after you've dealt with everything else.

Nose wasn't in book, I was surrounded by about 4 or 5 players myself debating the penalty appeal and the red card.
I positioned myself well, I thought, but with coaches on both sides of the pitch (one team on one, other team opposite) it is hard to get any decent position.

Nose wasn't in book, I was surrounded by about 4 or 5 players myself debating the penalty appeal and the red card.
I positioned myself well, I thought, but with coaches on both sides of the pitch (one team on one, other team opposite) it is hard to get any decent position.
Fair enough, sounds like you did all you could then.

Wouldn't the GK Red be a Sin Bin for Dissent? - unless you used OFFINABUS? - I've had similar happen to me that's all and looking to enhance my own knowledge

Wouldn't the GK Red be a Sin Bin for Dissent? - unless you used OFFINABUS? - I've had similar happen to me that's all and looking to enhance my own knowledge
For me, the “you” from the GK means it is OFFINABUS rather than dissent. “That’s a ******ing awful call“ is dissent. But when it directed personally, in becomes a send off. (Except for the pros, but, well, this isn’t a topic to learn from the pros.)

For me, the “you” from the GK means it is OFFINABUS rather than dissent. “That’s a ******ing awful call“ is dissent. But when it directed personally, in becomes a send off. (Except for the pros, but, well, this isn’t a topic to learn from the pros.)
This is another of my pet hates.
The manager of the offended team kept on citing it's not the Premier League, they're 16 year old boys blah blah blah.. they should know better.

This is another of my pet hates.
The manager of the offended team kept on citing it's not the Premier League, they're 16 year old boys blah blah blah.. they should know better.
Ironically, as we all know, no way on earth is any PL player getting sent off for those words!

So in fact, Mr manager was correct, no its not the PL, which is why you dealt with the OFFINABUS correctly! ;)

So I've heard the team has requested never to have me again...

Got my appointments through for this weekend.
I have them again.
League said they decide who gets who and who doesn't.
They're fine if I refuse to have them but won't have teams telling them they don't want us.
I love it when this sort of thing happens...

I had a team one Saturday, sent the manager off after full time, still on the field of play.

Guess which team I got next week...

And I got an apology from the manager! Nearly fell over when he opened his mouth and a load of rubbish DIDN'T come out!

So I've heard the team has requested never to have me again...

Got my appointments through for this weekend.
I have them again.
League said they decide who gets who and who doesn't.
They're fine if I refuse to have them but won't have teams telling them they don't want us.
So the $64,000 question is - ARE you going to do the game?

Back