A&H

Is this substitution completed?

The "senior ref on the tournament" got it wrong. I run the refs at my club's tournament, and if I had witnessed that manager storming on to the pitch to have a go at a 14 year old referee then the manager would be on the receiving end of a very public dressing down.

The Referee Store
The "senior ref on the tournament" got it wrong. I run the refs at my club's tournament, and if I had witnessed that manager storming on to the pitch to have a go at a 14 year old referee then the manager would be on the receiving end of a very public dressing down.

How did he get it wrong? He sent the young ref to the base tent to get him away from the manager. It was the senior ref's job to protect and support us. The manger was also warned by the Senior Ref and the club that runs the tournament

Page 82 of LotG states that the referee must use the whistle to restart play following a substitution.

My advice would be to check the substitute is in position by asking him, followed by a whistle. Same précis for any game.

With regards to the idiot coach, well, he needs to take a long hard look at himself.

The substitution was complete. The player was in position therefore the referee was correct to allow the game to re-start. It really is as straight forward as that. Had the player being moving into position then that would have been different.

I had a similar problem with this last season.
U15 red v white. At a period in the game both managers seemed to be making a sub ever other stoppage, it was getting a bit tedious, then ball goes out for a white throw in, reds make a sub, I stop concentrating and I wait for the red player to leave the pitch and the sub enters the pitch and I restart.
Next thing I know a long throw comes in to the opposite side of the field where a striker is unmarked and heads it home to make the score 2-2. Cue screaming from the managers and players that their left back wasn't t in position from the sub. Was I wrong in law, technically no the sub was complete, did I do the wrong thing? Yes, so I apologised profusely and everyone seemed to accept it from then on. Luckily reds made it 3-2 so I didn't cost them the game ;)

The thing I learned from the situation, in junior football or with any rolling subs game, ask the manager to give you a thumbs up when he's happy, especially when they make multiple subs from both teams.
Take your time and only restart when you are ready and happy everyone is set and in position.
thats why i hate rolling subs, they should join golden . silver goal in the fifa bin of stupid ideas

Back