A&H

Hand ball? Portugal V Serbia

The Referee Store
Lord, looks to me the defender instinctively raises his arm to the ball, doesn't look natural, easy end of the difficult penalty scale I reckon.

Problem is it happens so quick, the ref can't see it well, doesn't have the replays, so he makes a decision he's not 100% in, and let's the AR doubt. It's not good. With the benefit of video, I would expect VAR to give that now (not just next season).

Have to say I think it's a penalty definitely makes himself bigger unnatural position

If var was being used that would be giving,

Don't know why the assistant is getting involved it's not on his diagonal, referee has seen it and give it, looks messy as f##k

Was it because the AR gave offside? He doesn’t look offside but I’m questioning the restart. It looks like they are about to set up for a goal or free kick but at the very least it’s a corner

Was it because the AR gave offside? He doesn’t look offside but I’m questioning the restart. It looks like they are about to set up for a goal or free kick but at the very least it’s a corner
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only possibilities here are penalty or dropped ball. You can't blow for a penalty, then apply a restart that happened after the fact.

video here - AR clearly called an offside

AR should have subbed himself off after this - where on earth did he get an offside from here??

Anyway, are people seriously arguing this isn't a foul? With some of the users I can never tell if they're being serious or trolling.

runs up and for no reason whatsoever sticks his arm out to the side directly in what's clearly the intended path of the header.

the only reason it wouldn't be a foul is if we were playing rugby. Doesn't get much clearer than this. Anybody who thinks this isn't a foul must want the law changed to permit rugby-style charging down in the box because that's what you're advocating for if you think attackers should be allowed to do this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only possibilities here are penalty or dropped ball. You can't blow for a penalty, then apply a restart that happened after the fact.

I guess on depends on whether the ball left the FOP before he blew (I had to listen with the sound off). If it left the FOP and then he signalled for the pen, couldn't he then go for the corner if he changes his mind?

I'm generally a subscriber to the "handball is given too often" school of thought, but even for me this is a penalty. The arm's out, it's not part of the natural jumping action for me and has both the intention and the effect of making it harder to get the ball past him.

I'm not convinced he's given offside either, you see a long shot of him retreating to the halfway line after the penalty is "un-given" and his arm isn't in the air at a point where you would expect it to be. I suspect that either there's a drop ball we don't see, the AR has somehow convinced him that the attacker simply sliced the ball straight out of play, or he's had a moment of confusion having overruled himself and allowed the wrong restart when it should have been a corner.

I guess on depends on whether the ball left the FOP before he blew (I had to listen with the sound off). If it left the FOP and then he signalled for the pen, couldn't he then go for the corner if he changes his mind?
No. The ball is out of play after the moment of the incident the referee blew the whistle for, even if he blew it much later. Timing of the whistle doesn't change that. In this case it was the moment of the handball as the referee signalled for a penalty.
However if there was another incident before that and AR signalled for it (like offside) and restart is according to that incident, then the moment of ball out of play changes to the flagged incident.

@CapnBloodbeard the snapshot in your earlier post is taken a bit too early. This is the moment of the cross.
EDIT: I see you actually posted a video not a snapshot but the rest of my post is still valid :)

1553602625045.png

I don't see how the AR could have called this offside and I am sure it wasn't decided as offside as I am fairly certain the referee ended up dropping the ball for the keeper to pick up.

Anyway it's a clear handball for me. Even the defender's body language was giving it away.

Last edited:
Reactions: JH
It's an offside from the video - keeper grabbed the ball and is walking it out and is also communicating positively with the AR.
The AR's said something that got the decision overturned so of course he's going to get applauded, I don't think that necessarily suggests offside though. And the keeper is also walking with the ball towards the camera - if there was an offside, it would be towards the far side of the PA. Having watched it again, I'm actually fairly sure there was just an off-camera drop ball and (apart from the terrible decision to not give a PK!!) everything has been done properly here.

That wouldn't matter, because then you wouldn't be able to give a penalty as the ball was out of play. @one summed it up perfectly.
Therefore it's either:

A. Penalty

B. "If the referee blows the whistle in error and play stops, play is restarted with a
dropped ball."

C. Imaginary offside;)

Remember Marriner giving a phantom pen vs Chelsea recently, reversed after VAR input. Away side wasn't given the corner, it was a (manufactured) dropped ball straight back to Chelsea keeper.

You all need to have a hard look at yourselves.....never handball. Nothing deliberate about it...play on

The law is perfectly adequate to allow the ref to make the decision here imo. Not deliberate (who would deliberately handle the ball in the penalty area under most circumstances anyway?).

But then we have the interpretations and advice thrown at us to complicate everything. That's what needs removing imo, not an alteration of the law. Footballers do not handle the ball in the box unless to knowingly stop a goal or a very obvious goalscoring oppurtunity (yea, I know there are rare exceptions but we shouldn't be worried about the exceptions). The consequences for handling a ball in the corner of the box for example are a penalty (ie 75% chance of a goal at a guess). Even if the arm is in an unnatural position or any of that nonsense, there's no way that the player wanted to deliberately handle the ball!

Can't comment on the incident in question, I'm in Hungary and can't see the video. Just wanted to get some of the handball nonsense of my chest. Someone get me another palinka!

Back