A&H

Fitness to start with

The Referee Store
Going to have to mate by the sounds of it.

Even going for a run tonight, haven't done that for 10 years! :confused:

Figured with how unfit I am at the moment if I get ready before Coronation Street, go as soon as the adverts come on I can be back and showered before the second part restarts. :D

eh, do it at your own pace. Dont go head long into it if it been years, or youll do yourself a diservice and end up having to sit through both the ads, and the rest of the programme!!!!

Slowly but surely to get back into it.

Got a bike? go out for half and hour - low impact so not going to shock your joints.

Brisk walk - fast enough you would be hard to have a conversation.

Could suggest a swim but its expesnive and probs be a two hour round trip fro home to pool, change, 30 mins, shower, home again.

either way, make a record of height, weight, how far you walk / bike and the time taken so you can try and make it a little bit quicker. Walking half mile 1 minute quicker is 4 minutes quicker per 4 miles, and humans normally walk at 4 miles and hour. so now your hour walk takes 55 mins. Then knock that back to 45 mins and you can then do 5 miles in your hour.

eh, do it at your own pace. Dont go head long into it if it been years, or youll do yourself a diservice and end up having to sit through both the ads, and the rest of the programme!!!!

Slowly but surely to get back into it.

Got a bike? go out for half and hour - low impact so not going to shock your joints.

Brisk walk - fast enough you would be hard to have a conversation.

Could suggest a swim but its expesnive and probs be a two hour round trip fro home to pool, change, 30 mins, shower, home again.

either way, make a record of height, weight, how far you walk / bike and the time taken so you can try and make it a little bit quicker. Walking half mile 1 minute quicker is 4 minutes quicker per 4 miles, and humans normally walk at 4 miles and hour. so now your hour walk takes 55 mins. Then knock that back to 45 mins and you can then do 5 miles in your hour.
At your own pace ...........................in the adverts during corrie ? doesn't get more own pace than that lol

As a guide you should be able to cover 2K in 12 minutes continuous running when you are first refereeing.

As for those distances covered by some of the posters, I am slightly concerned. I used to regularly cover 10.5K in a typical 90 minutes on a Sunday League game but could get to 12K in some top division games. One game I almost touched on 14K (no extra time). I am 51 and these distances are from last season.

Maybe it's a bi-product of not relying on CARs to adjudge offsides? ;)

Err no!

I don't have any assistants for my games. I don't rely on anyone for anything.

Maybe it's being able to control a match without micro management!

Or its just you, who knows?

2km in 12 minutes? what are you walking?

i use to, before i got plump, be able to run cross country a mile in 5 minutes 20 seconds - your adding another 6 minutes to cover an additional 300 metres?

when im back fit id like to do 2km in around 8 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:
Regal ................I hope your paying attention to this ????? :D

Duly noted, although it does seem to have descended a little into 'my dad is bigger than your dad'. ;)

@Brian Hamilton fantastic advice as usual, although I am new here I can see you are clearly very experienced and speak a whole lot of sense. Thanks for some numbers to aim for to, incredibly helpful.

@Brian Hamilton fantastic advice as usual, although I am new here I can see you are clearly very experienced and speak a whole lot of sense. Thanks for some numbers to aim for to, incredibly helpful.

Important message from the forum resource manager. Please no more compliments for Mr Hamilton; Apparently there is barely enough bandwidth left in the whole of the internet to support his big head! :D

Lol sorry Brian, kidding of course! :D

My games are about 3.5 miles, is that me being a fat lazy git then?? If I'm running a supply league line then it's about 3 miles

In my first few games I used to run around like a greyhound. After about 10 minutes if be shattered as would be sprinting everywhere. But I find now a days I'm not as fit as then, however my positioning is more important. You can also save your legs by anticipating what will happen than trying to track the ball all day long.

I was injured for a year and now nowhere near as fit as I was. But think I can get around a pitch reasonably and be in fairly believable positions most of the time to make decent decisions. My advice if you're,really worried about how your fitness stands up is start with younger ages and work up that way. The refereeing experience is totally different, but will ease you in fitness wise.

Can I ask what you guys use to measure the distance as I personally don't have a clue how much ground I cover and my little casio just about keeps the time never mind anything else!!

Back