A&H

Open Age First middle

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
this weekend im doing my first middle and i got another one a week sunday so how do you think i should go ahead with this one as last year i had to show a red as a punch up happened between 2 players and also even thou im a type a referee that shows cards how can i prevent a player from ending in a punch up and seeing this game without the cards thanx craig

2013 friendlies
yellows 0
red 0

The Referee Store
Hi Craig, Im assuming its your first middle of the year. The best thing I can suggest to you is to use the captains, tell them that you expect them to control the players before you do as they know them better. Sometimes you have to just use the cards and dont be afraid to do so.

Dave

Ok thanx mate I've also got someone coming to watch so I've got a bit of support as well

I forgot to ask have you had the teams before? If you have they get to know what your like and the tolerance levels that you have.

I had a game last Sunday 2 teams I had the honor of reffing last season, both fairly decent (considering its sunday football) but one of the defenders of a team was getting a bit lippy told him twice that was enough. After the second calm down I spoke to the team manager who controlled the player for me and i didnt end up hearing anything from him for the rest of the game.

It just goes to show that the staged approach does work to controlling dissent etc.

I'm interested to know how the game goes and how you end up controlling it etc.

No I haven't I've got the home team again a week sunday so that be my second time having them

Just work with the teams, use captain's. Pick up on offences quickly and you can help prevent a punch up, if players don't feel protected they will protect themselves

As it is a friendly, set your stall out early and have your whistle on a hair trigger right from the kick off... jump on any contact, nibbling challenges, even pushes in the back (hand up, no actual push), or borderline foul challenges early (those hard but 50/50 fair). Let nothing go, even the challenges which during the season you may consider ok. Use the philosophy of what you don't penalise, you encourage!

Players will soon get the idea.

Don't forget, it's a new game! Big smile, nice and confident, enjoy yourself.

Eh, no great loss. Friendlies are a bizarre thing for a first game. Never enjoyed doing them at parks level.

Cut your teeth on a competitive match and you'll enjoy it so much more. Just little things are much more under your control. Keep us all updated!

Reactions: SM
I've now got my first middle this weekend it the team I had at the begginning of last season so I know what there like but I don't know who the away team are yet

Hooray! Do let us know how it goes.

Middle 3 for me tonight, match 9 in total, and first wet one of the season I reckon. I'll let you know (was it you? someone asked) how dry the Nike kits are.

Back