A&H

FA Guidelines for Assistant Referees fouls in and around the penalty area

The Referee Store
I like this way of doing things. Simple and clear

Ben, bare in mind this is from the English FA, I've not seen anything from the Welsh FA as of yet. Although I will do the system stated above I'd not be surprised if they say to flag across chest lol.

How about this incident which does happen. Say a corner is taken and defenders are on the Line. A header comes in from a striker and a defender handles it on the line. The AR is still on the goal line so what direction does the AR move then after he flags?

Hi Denis,

The simple answer is he doesn't. By giving the free kick signal and then not moving towards the edge of the penalty area, the AR effectively confirms the position. Although if the position is needing to be confirmed in this scenario I would be a little concerned.

Yes in theory that would be the case but it does mention that part of the reason for introducing it is to prevent any dissent towards the assistant and for the referee to be seen to make the decision. However the referee will have to verify with the AR to identify the player, so really it defeats the object for this incident.

I have to disagree with you there Denis. It's only in some instances that the referee may need to go across to speak with the ARand this would be regardless of any signal given.

The argument in terms of signal and dissent is that (aside from being contrary to the guidance of the LOTG) the flag across the chest draws attention to the AR and creates two points of focus for players to attack - ie the ref and the AR - as it is obvious the AR is involved/responsible for the penalty award.

I have to disagree with you there Denis. It's only in some instances that the referee may need to go across to speak with the ARand this would be regardless of any signal given.

The argument in terms of signal and dissent is that (aside from being contrary to the guidance of the LOTG) the flag across the chest draws attention to the AR and creates two points of focus for players to attack - ie the ref and the AR - as it is obvious the AR is involved/responsible for the penalty award.
What if the AR is in the most credible position to give the penalty and the ref is say 50 yds away, the AR would want the attention because he is in the best position therefore removing the doubt that the players would have about the ref making the call?

As an AR, I never want the attention if I can help it at all. However, I understand what you mean that in that instance it is almost impossible for the AR to avoid becoming a point of focus.

The main thing with such a scenario @HullRef is that where it is clear and obvious the AR is the person to have given the decision because the referee is so distant, there will only be a single point of focus for players - the AR. As referee, this is easy to deal with by moving towards the AR as you catch play up as quickly as possible.

The point I was making is that in and around the penalty area, it is very difficult to manage two distinct pockets of players where one is with the referee and the other the AR. Penalty decisions are almost always contested, so if you can minimise the areas of argument to a single focus then that can be more easily managed. Whether that single focus is at the position of the referee or of the AR doesn't matter, the crucial element is that there isn't two areas.

In Germany most Assistant Referees are requested by their referees to run to the corner flag if it was a penalty kick or a few metres away from the height of the penalty area if it wasn't a penalty, but a free kick.
If Assistants are asked to flag in penalty area or not, is individually controled by referees.

Extract from this years LOTG:
Fouls inside the penalty area.
When a foul is committed inside the penalty area out of the vision of the
referee, especially if near to the assistant referee’s position, the assistant
referee must fi rst make eye contact with the referee to see where the referee
is positioned and what action he has taken. If the referee has not taken any
action, the assistant referee must raise his flag and use the electronic beep
signal and then visibly move down the touch line towards the corner flag.

Extract from this years LOTG:
Fouls inside the penalty area.
When a foul is committed inside the penalty area out of the vision of the
referee, especially if near to the assistant referee’s position, the assistant
referee must fi rst make eye contact with the referee to see where the referee
is positioned and what action he has taken. If the referee has not taken any
action, the assistant referee must raise his flag and use the electronic beep
signal
and then visibly move down the touch line towards the corner flag.
What about us level 8,7,6 and 5's who don't have buzzer flags then?

Are there any restrictions in the UK, who can or is allowed to use buzzer flags and who not?
In Germany it isn't uncommon to have or to use them in lower leagues.

What about us level 8,7,6 and 5's who don't have buzzer flags then?
You're screwed!!
In all honesty you have to work on the fail safe of eye contact. I've got buzzers but generally see the flag before the buzz. There are occasions when the buzzer will help out but not often. As an AR if you have to give a decision like this you give it and stand your ground. If it'll help the referee step onto the FOP and call the ref over. Not as tidy as with buzzers but it works.

Are there any restrictions in the UK, who can or is allowed to use buzzer flags and who not?
In Germany it isn't uncommon to have or to use them in lower leagues.
No, there aren't any restrictions however we don't tend to work with assistants regularly until level 4 so buying them before then is a waste of money

As a ref I'll be whistling when I see the flag being waved nearby the penalty area, and then pointing either way once I see the movement :)

We got told by a level 2B (Jonathan Hunt (FL Assistant)) to flag across chest,, seen a few prem asst refs do it too? Flag across chest is easier IMO, thats different to a normal foul signal. But I dunno, ill ask a level 1 later this week
I think JH will have a different viewpoint now the FL Conference is over. The flag across the chest is an incorrect signal and as Padfoot has mentioned at the top of the thread, it will result in a comment and possible mark deduction in assessments.

Re Buzzer flags, they are good for making sure the referee doesn't miss a signal but they can make a referee lazy in terms of visually checking the AR. It means the AR can concentrate on the field but if the buzzers fail, it can mean the referee misses a key signal.

I wouldn't bother with buzzer flags until you reach level 4. Let's face it are you going to hand your £150 buzzer flags out to a Club AR at a junior game or a Sunday League game?

I think JH will have a different viewpoint now the FL Conference is over. The flag across the chest is an incorrect signal and as Padfoot has mentioned at the top of the thread, it will result in a comment and possible mark deduction in assessments.
I see that it's not a correct signal now that the fa have clarified it but would you as an assessor mark a referee down for using another signal for a different scenario that was covered in his/her pre match brief, it looks neat and tidy and it is effective between the team of officials, even if it isn't in the LOTG?

I think if you are using any non-standard signal that involved the flag then yes I would anticipate a negative comment and development advice from an assessor @HullRef.

I see that it's not a correct signal now that the fa have clarified it but would you as an assessor mark a referee down for using another signal for a different scenario that was covered in his/her pre match brief, it looks neat and tidy and it is effective between the team of officials, even if it isn't in the LOTG?
The vast majority of AR signals are prescriptively demonstrated in pictures in the LotG. If an assessor heard a referee asking for a non standard signal (for which there was a standard signal) in the prematch he should question that.

If the AR still followed the pre match having had the advice about what he should be doing, then both officials would have earned a comment.

Back