A&H

Ex Pros becoming referees

In this scenario is doesn’t, wolves contact meets all of these:

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, ‘deliberately played’ the ball:
• The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
• The ball was not moving quickly
• The direction of the ball was not unexpected
• The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control”
Aye, forget most of that and look at the IFAB Circular, in particular the accompanying videos

On second thoughts, just do what you like. That approach is more in keeping with football. Personally, I'll be sticking to the Circular not least because it's what the game expects and you can bet your life your CAR's flag will go up (as will your NAR's in most cases). Not to mention, giving the benefit of the doubt to the defender just makes it easier for us Referees, which works for me

And if any Observer is not aware of the Circular (which they probably won't be), I'll just educate them ;)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Aye, forget most of that and look at the IFAB Circular, in particular the accompanying videos

On second thoughts, just do what you like. Personally, I'll be sticking to the Circular not least because it's what the game expects and you can bet your life your CAR's flag will go up (as will your NAR's in most cases). Not to mention, giving the benefit of the doubt to the defender just makes it easier for us Referees, which works for me
I’ve literally pasted that from the circular?

I’ve literally pasted that from the circular?
Watch the Videos. The link is at the bottom of the Circular. There are much more extreme examples (than the Salah debacle) of where offside should be given. At least there were when i went through them at the start of the season. Thought some of them to be jaw dropping

Watch the Videos. The link is at the bottom of the Circular. There are much more extreme examples (than the Salah debacle) of where offside should be given. At least there were when i went through them at the start of the season. Thought some of them to be jaw dropping
Clip 9 is borderline identical, ball just goes to the side instead of behind. He's stretching to head it and the contact isn't fully as intended. Clip 10 the same, stretches and the ball goes backwards. The contact the wolves defender gets is much more pronounced that the examples in clips 11 and 12. I maintain that in this scenario it is deliberate play with considerable contact but just poorly played. Although given @JamesL disagrees and that's usually a sign I'm wrong I am willing to admit that ;)

Back