A&H

DOGSO red right? Australia vs NZ

Murri O

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the DOGSO handball the Kiwi gave away for the penalty at the 2 minute 10 second mark been a red?

This was a friendly. (As an aside this was to celebrate the 100th anniversary of our first international.)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
to nitpick, on a shot we aren’t talking about DOGSO, but about DOG.

So the real Q is whether, but for the handling, the ball was going in the goal. For those angles, I can’t tell if it was on target or how close the GK was to making a save had it gone through. Certainly enough doubt (at least from these angles) that I would be shocked to see it as red in a friendly.

So the real Q is whether, but for the handling, the ball was going in the goal. For those angles, I can’t tell if it was on target or how close the GK was to making a save had it gone through. Certainly enough doubt (at least from these angles) that I would be shocked to see it as red in a friendly.
Fair enough. Here's a snippy though. Pretty sure that was going in. To be honest I'm not aggrieved at the decision at all just want to make sure I'm calling these right if it happens to me.

1664249180645.png

It's a good example of the referee taking a couple of seconds to blow for the penalty and allowing the follow-up shot from mcgree to see if there was an advantage.

I'm sure we had a similar thread the other day and the resolution was that it wasn't whether as a ref we thought it was going in, but at the point of shooting was it a gso.

Was it a OGSO? Yes.
Was it denied? Yes.

For me it's red.

I'm sure we had a similar thread the other day and the resolution was that it wasn't whether as a ref we thought it was going in, but at the point of shooting was it a gso.

Was it a OGSO? Yes.
Was it denied? Yes.

For me it's red.
The red card offence is denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

It’s two rolled into one. If it’s denying a goal, we have to be, pretty reasonably at our level or 100% clear at any level with VAR, sure that the action has denied a goal.

If the player has shot and the shot is going clearly wide, we don’t judge the situation as a DOGSO even if they had an obvious goal scoring opportunity when they took the shot, because they have taken the opportunity already, we’re then just judging the first part, has the handling denied a goal.

Why would anyone play advantage in the box like that though is baffling.
Because advantage is football is dumb, this isn't actually a referee playing advantage. This is a referee waiting to see if an advantage (which in this case would specifically and only be a goal) accrues - then when it doesn't, he "chooses not to play advantage" and gives the penalty.

Why would anyone play advantage in the box like that though is baffling.
imo in the circumstances, its good refereeing

Guy knocks in the rebound, goal, and probably even no yellow card

perfect for a friendly, meeting expectations, technical offence, nobody hurt, plus the resulting pk was scored ( i think), so, everything is good

as per though, if a referee wished to paint by numbers, instead of with a feeling for the game, we can frown at the officialdom, but could not be critical of it.

depends i guess on your personal ethos also, manage the occaaion, or be a generic auto pilot

For me it's red as stopping a goal in a freindly is, in my opinion, worse than in a "real match" due to the fact there's nothing on the outcome.

I wish the FA would send me this document called "what the game expects".

I cannot get a copy from anybody!

its there in clear view for you, granted there is a few seconds of film skipped but, no protests, no finger pointing, no mobbing of referee.

the red card would have been a surprise, and, no doubt led to the aforementioned.

Ref has perfect opportunity to manage whats in front of him, and does.

that aside, am guessing you watch epl, in each and every game you see " what the game expects" with relation to say, dissent and offensive etc.
For right or wrong, they have an expectation that dissent is all part of the epl circus, its expected, and in return, the officials play their part by tolerating it.
Been long typed on here that the actions of epl players would see teams reduced to 8 a side if in pub league with grass roots referees.

Expectation.

Why dont you see excessive dissent in say, the WC? Fifa protect the game, its hammered home ( expected) that dissent will be punished

the epl in contrast via pgmol has to protect its product, and in turn, £££

it cant be taught, its just something that comes to you or not, depending on what you are refereeing,

Because advantage is football is dumb, this isn't actually a referee playing advantage. This is a referee waiting to see if an advantage (which in this case would specifically and only be a goal) accrues - then when it doesn't, he "chooses not to play advantage" and gives the penalty.
Cheers. I understand in this situation where he was waiting to see if the second shot went in. (I meant in any other circumstances.)

It is an obvious red card and friendly or not it’s a total farce not to red card this.

It’s the worst kind of cheating to deliberately deny a goal.

It’s an insane double standard to allow a player to deny the audience a goal and then claim to be preserving the spectacle by not red carding. IMHO of course;)

I can only assume the referee thought the keeper was saving it. Remember he only gets one look at it and has to paint himself a picture at that exact moment.

Only the referee can answer the question of whether he would have gone red in a competition match. I don't really see the issue of being lenient on a friendly, assuming there was any chance the keeper was saving it, at the end of the day it is a training game for the teams and players and generally no one wants to see the other team reduced a player. I'm pretty sure the player reaction would have been a whole lot different had he pulled a yellow out in a competitive game. I sometimes think that as referees we are guilty of forgetting that we are there to support the game, as opposed to football existing so that referees can apply laws.

Back