A&H

Different colour referee kit

In Ireland, We have all different colours incase of kit clashes. Madness to think thats not the case in England. The league supplied us with a Black, Blue and Green kit for the season.
I'd disagree and say the madness lies in allowing clubs to wear black and therefore forcing referees to buy more kit. It's a simple rule for clubs: wear any colour you like but not black! what's hard about that?

The Referee Store
I'd disagree and say the madness lies in allowing clubs to wear black and therefore forcing referees to buy more kit. It's a simple rule for clubs: wear any colour you like but not black! what's hard about that?
Especially when the "standard" referee shirt in England is now around £50. If you need 5 different colours that's a lot of games you are effectively refereeing for free.

Some clubs have been wearing certain colours for 50 years. It would be difficult to tell them to change their club colours even if they were black. It works for us in our league anyway

The difference is that the rule in England (until very recently) has always been that we MUST wear black, so clubs are not allowed to. They still aren’t allowed to but some decide this doesn’t apply to them.

The difference is that the rule in England (until very recently) has always been that we MUST wear black, so clubs are not allowed to. They still aren’t allowed to but some decide this doesn’t apply to them.
It still is the rule, some CFAs allowing referees to wear other colours hasn't changed the rule that clubs can't wear black.

For what it’s worth, I’ve recently completed the FA referee course, and was told categorically that Grassroots officials are to wear all black, and the team on a dark/black shirt need to wear the bibs/change not the FAMOA.We were advised never to wear bibs as this undermines the authority of the official.
As a note, and I’m not sure if this is an FA rule, in both Dorset and Hampshire leagues, it clearly states that no team is to wear a black or dark coloured kit.
The only exceptions I understand to this rule, are Level 1/2 officials where they might be officiating EFL or EPL football.

We asked for kit for years and they supplied us for the first time. We dont get kit every year. We buy our own usually but a lot of teams are starting to wear black so we had to buy 2/3 kits for years until this season
Do you still have the opportunity to buy kit via your local ISRS Branch - or do you have to go through local suppliers?

I've still got a set of the old eircom League Umbro gear from the mid-2000/10s at home (the plain black Umbro with the two white stripes running up from the bottom of the shirt to the underarms - which I think was only ever produced for use in Ireland)

For what it’s worth, I’ve recently completed the FA referee course, and was told categorically that Grassroots officials are to wear all black, and the team on a dark/black shirt need to wear the bibs/change not the FAMOA.We were advised never to wear bibs as this undermines the authority of the official.
As a note, and I’m not sure if this is an FA rule, in both Dorset and Hampshire leagues, it clearly states that no team is to wear a black or dark coloured kit.
The only exceptions I understand to this rule, are Level 1/2 officials where they might be officiating EFL or EPL football.
There's something called the Standard Code of Rules (SCoR) that all leagues below step 7 must adopt, if they don't they shouldn't be sanctioned to operate. Some of the rules in there are optional, some have sections enclosed in square brackets where numbers (e.g. number of days before game to provide confirmation. Rule 19.D isn't in italics so isn't optional, and has no square brackets, which means it has to be adopted in full. It states ...

No Player, including the goalkeeper, shall be permitted to wear black or very dark shirts.

It really couldn't be any more clear. Look at your league rules (adult, there is a seperate SCoR for youth but I'm sure that rule is the same) and if that rule number isn't there exactly as above report it to your CFA, it will get sorted out.

Back