A&H

Different colour referee kit

Isn't it down to the policy of whichever county sanctions the league rather than the county of individual clubs?

The Referee Store
Issue comes when you have clubs linked / reserves of those higher up who technically can wear dark kits then try to avoid being last weeks ref and end up in a situation where you get wrong.
If a team has a black kit because their senior team plays at a level that allows it they should know that they are required to provide the match officials with an alternative coloured kit. For example, at professional academies and in the FA Youth Cup. Below is the specific rule from the FA Youth Cup rules ...

Prior to the Competition Proper the colours of the players’ kit must not clash with the black and white uniform worn by the Match Officials. In the Competition Proper, where there is a clash of colour between the Match Officials’ uniform and the players’ kit, the Match Officials may, with the prior approval of The Association, change to an alternative colour Referees shirt. The alternative shirts must be supplied by the Club whose kit is the cause of the clash.

Here in Scotland I have a black kit and a yellow kit, today the match was all black team vs yellow team. Sods law!

Put a bib on myself, at the end of the day I referee as I just want to see people playing football on a sunday afternoon 🤷‍♂️

Here in Scotland I have a black kit and a yellow kit, today the match was all black team vs yellow team. Sods law!

Put a bib on myself, at the end of the day I referee as I just want to see people playing football on a sunday afternoon 🤷‍♂️
Presumably league rules require the visiting team to change their kit(?)

Presumably league rules require the visiting team to change their kit(?)
Only if they clash with the opposition team. Another day, they have a ref who has colours that doesnt clash.

For the record most officials here will likely have some variation if black, purple, red, yellow, green and blue.

Only if they clash with the opposition team. Another day, they have a ref who has colours that doesnt clash.

For the record most officials here will likely have some variation if black, purple, red, yellow, green and blue.
LOTG say teams must wear colours that don't clash with opposing team or match officials, so competition rules should incorporate that fact.

LOTG say teams must wear colours that don't clash with opposing team or match officials, so competition rules should incorporate that fact.
Sure but its here its likely officials will decide which colour they are wearing to avoid clashing with the teams.

In mctones case, they could have asked one of the teams if they had an alternative kit. Not sure if they checked kit colours before match day or found out on day of match.

Never seen any official here ask as we normally have something that doesn’t clash

There are 2 teams in my adult league that wear predominantly black.

The league are aware but said "they (the teams) didn't know that when they bought the kit".

The league and the club are ultimately at fault here. Black kits cannot be used below step 7 in England, so the club shouldn't have bought it and the league definitely shouldn't have sanctioned it. You can only wear black, so that can really only mean one thing: the team have to change.

If you get grief over it I would be tempted to report the league to your CFA. They should be backing their referees, and that means telling the club they can't play in black.
Bang on what’s on here… You stay in black and they change or wear bibs. Simple’s…

In Ireland, We have all different colours incase of kit clashes. Madness to think thats not the case in England. The league supplied us with a Black, Blue and Green kit for the season.

In Ireland, We have all different colours incase of kit clashes. Madness to think thats not the case in England. The league supplied us with a Black, Blue and Green kit for the season.
The league supplies you with kit? That's an important difference you can't just gloss over - we pay for our own kit here. Keeping costs down for new referees is important for recruitment, and mandating one colour that's reserved for referees so they only have to buy 1 top rather than 5 is a good way of doing that.

The league supplies you with kit? That's an important difference you can't just gloss over - we pay for our own kit here. Keeping costs down for new referees is important for recruitment, and mandating one colour that's reserved for referees so they only have to buy 1 top rather than 5 is a good way of doing that.
We asked for kit for years and they supplied us for the first time. We dont get kit every year. We buy our own usually but a lot of teams are starting to wear black so we had to buy 2/3 kits for years until this season

We asked for kit for years and they supplied us for the first time. We dont get kit every year. We buy our own usually but a lot of teams are starting to wear black so we had to buy 2/3 kits for years until this season
Not in my league in Ireland. We always buy our own, and I typically wear one colour jersey to a match but bring another 2.

I mean, I think this is just another argument in favour of reserving black for officials?

Your league failed to do it, it started becoming expensive for referees and the league then faced the choice between paying to kit out their officials vs losing some.

If I was in a position to influence this decision with my CFA, I couldn't think of a more perfect case study!

Back