A&H

Correct Clothing

Bennn

Level 7 Referee
I have my first Saturday County fixture this week,
Been told to wear a shirt & tie on arrival, just wondering wether I need to wear proper trousers and shoes?
May sound stupid just want to make sure I am prepared and make the right impression, and anything I need to make sure I do?

Thanks

The Referee Store
Well you are going to look very silly if you turn up in a shirt and tie but with jeans and trainers. They are basically saying formal but no need for a jacket, so you will need smart trousers and shoes.

As rusty says

If you are intending to be a regular on the county scene you might want to consider asking your CFA for a County Tie- earn you some brownie points too.

The more professional you look when you arrive the more likely you are to gain respect, silly I know, but turn up in dirty kit and boots everyone will be 'here for the money ad doesn't care' turn up smartly dressed clean kit and boots shining and they are already thinking 'this guy takes it seriously' first impressions and all that!

Turn up...clean kit and boots shining
This. Absolutely make sure your kit is clean and crease free, and your boots have been polished/dubbined. Nothing worse than a referee looking like his kit has been thrown in the boot of their car since their last game, and reluctantly pulled on for the current one.

I always get funny looks from other referees when I turn up with kit nicely arranged. I clean and polish boots before I go out for the inspection/warm up and then I clean and polish again before going out for the game.

Baby wipes work wonders for cleaning :D

I always get funny looks from other referees when I turn up with kit nicely arranged. I clean and polish boots before I go out for the inspection/warm up and then I clean and polish again before going out for the game.

I was considering posting that on the pitches I ref on during winter, it wouldn't matter how shiny my boots were when I turned up they would be caked in mud from the pitch inspection. It did not occur to me that anyone would clean their boots between the inspection and the match. You would definitely get a funny look from me if I saw that.

I was considering posting that on the pitches I ref on during winter, it wouldn't matter how shiny my boots were when I turned up they would be caked in mud from the pitch inspection. It did not occur to me that anyone would clean their boots between the inspection and the match. You would definitely get a funny look from me if I saw that.
During my inspection and warm up, I'm running around and getting caked. When I walk out of that changing room to the centre circle, we are slow and people are looking. That's the time to look presentable. I clean my boots prior to the inspection because I like to say hello to the teams and club representatives as a way of breaking the ice

Turn up and do your job.
Sadly, there's often more to it than this. I've witnessed a fellow assistant get a full-on bollocking from the observer for turning up to an academy game in his kit and I've been lightly rebuked myself by a different observer for only turning up in a shirt and smart trousers and neglecting to have a county tie or suit jacket - although I'm taking that as a positive regarding my performance if that's the best development point he could come up with!

People who make important decisions about your future as a referee care about your presentation when you turn up. It's very possible not one other person in the world cares and I do personally think it's an unecessary distraction, but unfortunately, it's worth taking the time to consider what you should be wearing if you want to progress.

I think that's the case with most "jobs" isn't it?

Hmm, not really. A lot of employers are only interested in how well you do your job, they don't care whether your metaphorical boots are clean.

But most importantly if you have an employer whose views are archaic and whose instructions are sometimes contradictory and who is basically incompetent you can just go and work somewhere else.

Couple of years ago i had a new ref on my line, i called him during the week of the game to discuss things and said whilst we don't have to wear suits i would like him to wear trousers, shoes and a polo shirt. To his credit he did and looked very smart, he was even there before me. We were having a cup of tea and i asked him if had already been to the changing room with his kit bag?

No i haven't been to the changing room.
So wheres your kit then?
What kit?
You told me to wear, trousers and a polo shirt!!!!! :wall::wall:

I personally like the suited and booted look - would I rather wear a smart tracksuit? yes - but that's mainly for after the game! hate getting changed back into the whistle!

I'd wear a blazer @Bennn - finished it all off, the only time I wouldn't worry is if you have an FAMOA jacket/coat

You told me to wear, trousers and a polo shirt!!!!! :wall::wall:

He has gone for the complete retro kit! But he forgot the bow tie :facepalm: - unforgivable

images

Refereeing is a good deal easier when you absolutely no inclination to climb the ladder.

Too true, especially with the antiquated attitudes possessed by most of the higher echelons of the county FAs.

Back