A&H

City vs Real

I feel you're being deliberately obtuse.
Firstly, you're deliberately ignoring the whistle to lips.
You make this false claim that I've said a free kick is more beneficial than a goal.
All I've said is that advantage isn't resulting in a good chance 80% of the time.
I'm not sure that's that controversial.

Whistle to lips means absolutely nothing. There is nothing to discuss
He can do six forward rolls and shout out all the prev landlords of the Queen Vic, he has not blown, there is nothing to see.

This is in your 20% then. Its up to you if you wish to be critcal of the referee actions, entirely up to you
ditto folk are entitled to praise it.

last season I was observer on a local sunday league final, 500 folk, close gritty game, on the hour mark, a one on one, thro to gk, its a pk and dogso red...only the referee, a youngster, held his whstle a split second, as ball broke to team mate of striker, who rolled it into an empty net
Brave, very brave, but brought nothing but admiration from the ( generally uneducated ) crowd, inc shouts from the coaches, ' well done ref'
One swallow does not make a summer though, until the end of season meeting, and, it then became clear from marks and reports, this guy was streets ahead of anyone else
Sometimes to win the lottery, you need to first buy a ticket,

as ever it may vary by region or association, or level, but i have never read or had coaching ever giving reference to putting the whistle to lips, or not, when utilising wait and see, and/or advantage
Disclaimer, its possible someone somewhere has officially been instructed not to do so

Last edited:
The Referee Store
That's why it's hard just to "move on"! I'm all in favour of training "professional" referees to try and ensure consistent interpretation, but are they really being taught to give "active consideration" to stuff that was deleted from the law? And do not we lesser mortals deserve to possess this secret knowledge?
I don’t like the e.g. UEFA’s considerations checklist is a vital supplement to the LotG and e.g. is constantly cited by Refcoach and others in reviewing incidents.

But it is. And at a certain level refs are trained it. For us mere mortals we have the option to seek it out or soak it up when our trainers use it ti inform their training/observing.

IMHO a doc like UEFA’s considerations should come from IFAB as a learning supplement.

I don’t like the e.g. UEFA’s considerations checklist is a vital supplement to the LotG and e.g. is constantly cited by Refcoach and others in reviewing incidents.

But it is. And at a certain level refs are trained it. For us mere mortals we have the option to seek it out or soak it up when our trainers use it ti inform their training/observing.

IMHO a doc like UEFA’s considerations should come from IFAB as a learning supplement.
Which PGMOL will still ignore....

Back