A&H

City vs Real

I think he'll get hammered in his assessment for that. 100% has contributed to a goal.
Not sure "play to the whistle" can be used with the noise in a match of.this size
On one hand - 4-2 great advantage goal - and the signal after the goal for the cameras - but he rather undid it with the whistle to the lips that paused the defence momentarily. Silva deserves that though - immense.
No chance. That's an outstanding advantage.
If the players stop it's because it's such a clear foul, they are expecting a free kick, B.silva has a different plan and the referee does great to allow it to unfold.
He'll get marked up, not down.

The Referee Store
No chance, they will back him completely. He has realised there is a great advantage and taken the whistle away, the game is played to the blowing of the whistle not it being raised to the mouth. Notice also that there wasn't a single complaint from Real Madrid players about it.

Outstanding performance I thought from Istvan Kovacs, got almost everything correct. As the commentators were keen to point out, he is relatively inexperienced at this level, that was probably his biggest ever game and he nailed it.
Not a single complaint - apart from the GK saying after the game he expected a DFK - as obviously did the Real players.

Now, whether they saw/felt thd referee’s action with the whistle, and if it affected them, no idea in truth.

All I know is, whistle to lips at key match incident is bad and my mentor would (and has) lambasted me for such.

IMHO of course. But he was great last night.

I said to my son "Advantage of the Year" (and I really wish TV would have that as a real competition) so I'm not worried about the odd odd decision (e.g. the FKs that the ARs had to give). I am surprised to see the replay of the handball - I couldn't see it (from 120m away) but from descriptions on the radio it sounded like Laporte's arm was way up in the air. Maybe City are still smarting over going out to Spurs two years ago with a handball goal that VAR apparently never saw (Pep mentioned it last night) but on sheer justice (no matter what the law says) it wasn't worth a free shot at goal as a punishment. We've come a long way (and maybe the wrong way) since handball really did have to be deliberate (i.e. intended).

Good discussion of it at

Last edited:
Just because he smashed it in.the.top corner, does not make it the greatest advantage of all time. I'ts borderline.not even an advantage.
The whistle to lips gives that little bit of hesitancy that creates the chance.
Not saying this is a shocking error, but it certainly shouldn't be held up to new refs as the ideal advantage.
Thought he had a v good game though

Last edited:
An excellent advantage because of the outcome, although the whistle going to the lips didn't look great. If I had one criticism accross the Real and Atleti games, it's that the ref seemed slightly hesitant in his decision making. That may have actually helped him in this scenario because a lot of refs would have blown immediately when Zinchenko was fouled.

Not seen it but if whatever he did resulted in a goal, that makes it more beneficial than awarding the fk before even seeing it

Just because he smashed it in.the.top corner, does not make it the greatest advantage of all time. I'ts borderline.not even an advantage.
The whistle to lips gives that little bit of hesitancy that creates the chance.
Not saying this is a shocking error, but it certainly shouldn't be held up to new refs as the ideal advantage.
Thought he had a v good game though
The easy thing to do here would have been to blow for the free kick immediately. This is classic give yourself a second or two and see what happens. It's absolutely best practise to show new refs what can happen if you are calm, and don't rush into making decisions.

You are right though, it's not about the outcome. If Silva smashes that into row Z it's still a good advantage as a clear shot on goal is better than one with a wall and a set keeper/defence.

Putting the whistle to the lips during wait and see happens ALL THE TIME. PL refs do it constantly during the wait and see before an advantage.

As footballers we are taught play to the whistle. It's rule number two after don't let it bounce. Even if the referee put the whistle to his lips, he did not blow it, and therefore no one should have stopped playing and Kudos on the attacker for following what is a basic footballing principle.

just seen it, the only thing missing was a delayed two handed advantage signal ( Oliver has perfected it) .
This is textbook wait and see, Of course natural instinct around the box will be to blow, hence the whistle going to mouth.
forget all the nonsence of "you were going to blow ref". The answer is ' no, i was raising the whistle in case i had to blow, it turns out i did not need to"

making it specific to this clip, the gk might indeed be expecting a foul but he will not be watching the referee, his focus will be ( or should be) on saving the shot, ( near every game we see a good save that ' would not have counted anyway as the flag was up)

based purely on the 10 min highlights I saw, this referee will score extremely high, being cental figure in a Champ league 4-3 semi with no dubious decisions is impressive.

just seen it, the only thing missing was a delayed two handed advantage signal ( Oliver has perfected it) .
This is textbook wait and see, Of course natural instinct around the box will be to blow, hence the whistle going to mouth.
forget all the nonsence of "you were going to blow ref". The answer is ' no, i was raising the whistle in case i had to blow, it turns out i did not need to"

making it specific to this clip, the gk might indeed be expecting a foul but he will not be watching the referee, his focus will be ( or should be) on saving the shot, ( near every game we see a good save that ' would not have counted anyway as the flag was up)

based purely on the 10 min highlights I saw, this referee will score extremely high, being cental figure in a Champ league 4-3 semi with no dubious decisions is impressive.
He did do the big advantage signal after the goal went in - proper Dean moment - looked great

Not a single complaint - apart from the GK saying after the game he expected a DFK - as obviously did the Real players.

Now, whether they saw/felt thd referee’s action with the whistle, and if it affected them, no idea in truth.

All I know is, whistle to lips at key match incident is bad and my mentor would (and has) lambasted me for such.

IMHO of course. But he was great last night.
Yeah, once he's seen a replay and had a question put to him. At the time there was nothing raised about the referee's actions.

It should be avoided, but equally he should give the free kick rather than play a great advantage just because it benefits him as the referee. Sometimes you realise last minute there is going to be an advantage, just as sometimes you go to blow and then realise you would be wrong and take the whistle away.

I said to my son "Advantage of the Year" (and I really wish TV would have that as a real competition) so I'm not worried about the odd odd decision (e.g. the FKs that the ARs had to give). I am surprised to see the replay of the handball - I couldn't see it (from 120m away) but from descriptions on the radio it sounded like Laporte's arm was way up in the air. Maybe City are still smarting over going out to Spurs two years ago with a handball goal that VAR apparently never saw (Pep mentioned it last night) but on sheer justice (no matter what the law says) it wasn't worth a free shot at goal as a punishment. We've come a long way (and maybe the wrong way) since handball really did have to be deliberate (i.e. intended).

Good discussion of it at
It is a blatant, 100%, handball. If you have your arm in the air and the ball hits it you are going to get a penalty awarded against you, even more so when VAR is in operation (not that it was needed here). My immediate reaction was handball, as was that of the commentators, that's how blatant it was.

You can't compare it to something two years ago as the handball law has changed since then.

It is a blatant, 100%, handball. If you have your arm in the air and the ball hits it you are going to get a penalty awarded against you, even more so when VAR is in operation (not that it was needed here). My immediate reaction was handball, as was that of the commentators, that's how blatant it was.

You can't compare it to something two years ago as the handball law has changed since then.
Comparing something to something that happened 2 minutes ago, will rile most refs, bringing up an incident 2 years ago.................................

3 years ago. And if I rmemeber correctly, it was the right decision under the laws. Also it took a fair few angles to see so whether or not it hit his hand so that starts a debate wheyher it was C and O.

Also 100% handball here.

Blatant? It wouldn't even have been called deliberate in the good old days.

I'm not sure why we can't compare it with something before they changed the law. We're always talking about whether the laws are right, and getting laws changed when we think they're wrong.

IFAB changed their mind every year on some laws.

Last edited:
3 years ago. And if I rmemeber correctly, it was the right decision under the laws. Also it took a fair few angles to see so whether or not it hit his hand so that starts a debate wheyher it was C and O.

Also 100% handball here.
You only need one clear angle to see if it's obvious. It's not a majority vote where umpteen unclear angles outweigh a clear one.

Watched the match on replay. Kovacs was excellent. That advantage was outstanding. Real didn’t play to the sound of the whistle. The penalty was also 100% right. Ball hits hand above the shoulder, so it’s textbook unnatural position. Great spot in real time.

Kovacs has been a breakout star in his two big knockout matches and has very likely cemented a place in Qatar to replace Hategan.

You only need one clear angle to see if it's obvious. It's not a majority vote where umpteen unclear angles outweigh a clear one.
Alright fair enough. It was still the correct decision under the laws though I believe.

Blatant? It wouldn't even have been called deliberate in the good old days.
Genuine question, if Madrid had done this handball, would you be showing the same reaction?

Ok I missed that and quite right, perfectly entitled to celebrate that moment in a park match, far less his biggest appointment
Maybe not one for a park match, did a tiny fist clench after a good advantage once and got it in the ear all game after the conceding team saw!

Back