A&H

City Everton Walker RC

Walker's first card was nailed on. A minute later he was tackled by Baines (a great tackle) and was angry that he hadn't been given a free kick. I think he was possibly still angry about these two incidents and wonder if Madley was influenced by this. Yes, the second yellow was really harsh but he stupidly gave the referee a decision to make.

The Referee Store
For those saying Walker looked over his shoulder, and I say this as an ex defender, of course he did. You need to know where your opponent is, and once you know you need to get touch tight to them. At the Dog and Duck level that I played at you are in seriously trouble if a player is beyond you and you aren't touch tight, at PL level you are totally screwed. That was really just good and expected defending, I can't quite believe that anyone thought that was a caution. A foul I could just about understand, but never, ever a caution.

I have less sympathy for Schneiderlin as he's on a caution and has lunged in which is always a risk. I still think that caution is wrong as well, but nowhere near as wrong as Walker's second.

When you have looked and know where the opponent is, you then normally stick out an arm to have contact with your hand to feel where he goes, how he moves, and to block his movement a little. But Walker definitely used excessive force (shoulder in chest, maybe on chin), this wasn't just looking for contact for defending purposes only. It seemed more like looking over his shoulder to know where he needed to do that body check/shoulder plant, for whatever reason (didn't watch the match, some here mentioned there was an incident with Baines just before).

Harsh (especially because it's the second yellow), but really don't see the scandal people make of it.

Last edited:
Belatedly:
Ridiculous to say Aguero dived. Schneiderlin catches one foot before contact with the ball then swipes Aguero's standing leg.
Anyway, why wasn't the first a red? Off the ground, out of control, deliberately went for the man.

bemused at how anyone is saying Walker's second yellow is 'never a yellow'

looks at him, moves across, slight elbow out ... yes Calvert has gone down theatrical but Jesus - this guys just been bought for £50m, is on in excess of £100k a week and just been booked - have a word with yourself mate ... YC all day

Back