A&H

City Everton Walker RC

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Oh dear - looks like Madley has dropped a clanger with the second yellow. What's he seen there? There doesn't seem to be an aggressive action, even a foul... now, into the second half, Bobby M looks miffed - would he have taken a grilling over it at half time?

The Referee Store
He's had a total nightmare tonight. Two red cards totally wrong - I'd agree that for the second one he's been conned by Aguero, but for the first one nothing, and I really mean nothing, happened. I'd be extremely worried if a level 7 made that decision, it is a truly woeful decision for a PL and FIFA referee to make.

Dropped a second clanger with Schneiderling

Shame you can't retrospectively ban players for diving. Awful
Well there's contact with the leading leg before the ball and contact with the trailing leg IMHO - and Morgan has flown in. Even though the contact is slight, and massively exaggerated by Aguero, I think Bobby M can give the YC there. It's reckless I think.

Well there's contact with the leading leg before the ball and contact with the trailing leg IMHO - and Morgan has flown in. Even though the contact is slight, and massively exaggerated by Aguero, I think Bobby M can give the YC there. It's reckless I think.

Not for me, Schneiderling has just got in front of Aguero and won the ball.

Slight bias here but was at the game and happened right in front of me, haven't seen a replay yet. Madley seemed to blow up for a head injury, never signalled for a free kick or anything. Was clearly communicating. with Oliver (4th official), haven't the foggiest what he may have seen. The sooner more technology is introduced the better tbh, simple decisions can't be made. The current crop of referees are just not good enough.

Watch there replay, there is no contact with the leading leg at all.

Really odd decision. I was there and Madley seemed to signal for a head injury before suddenly changing his mind; did Oliver give it? The bizarre thing is that, having watched a replay, there was absolutely nothing in it, nothing at all.

I personally think he got the Schneiderlin one wrong too, there's the slightest contact on Sergio, perhaps enough for a FK but I don't think it was worthy of a yellow. Daft to fly in when you're on a booking though.

I can't be the only one to see Walker's quite deliberately putting his shoulder in Calvert-Lewin's chest (possibly even catching his chin)? At least a foul. Anyway stupid action by Walker, there was no need to look for that kind of contact.

Schneiderlin kind of reckless. Maybe the booking you give when the player's not yet on a yellow, and don't give when he is...

Last edited:
It's a textbook example of "backing in" to me. We see Walker check the position of his opponent and then adjust his run to ensure he makes contact. However any contact to the face (if there even actually was any) seems entirely accidental - if that was deliberate, I'd accept a yellow or even a red card, but I don't think that was the case here at all and should therefore only be given as a DFK with no further sanction.

Football is and should remain a contact sport, yes it's a minor foul, no more. I didn't watch the game but unless it was PI then that's never a yellow card in the memory of man...

Am not a fan of the way the 2nd yellow was administered to Walker, rightly or wrongly, it was weak and nonchalant and for a FIFA official, he should be setting a better example. Am all for not being totally regimental with it but its was so lazy

Personally, I felt both challenges which drew the 2nd caution were reckless and by the letter of the law those challenges had to be sanctioned with a caution. For Walker there was distinct look over his shoulder at the player and a movement to his right. It doesn't appear to be a careless action on his part. Schneiderlin was foolish to make a tackle like that. He had eyes for the ball but he looked to have disregarded what his actions would be on the opponent because of it.
In isolation they are cautions but shouldn't a top-level referee have the skills and nous to manage such a situation better specially with regards to Kyle Walker? Once he received the first caution, I felt it was just a matter of time before he was sent off. Leighton Baines had wound him up perfectly.

I wouldn't give either of them as 2nd yellows, but I can understand how he will justify them to an observer after the game.

Also, I don't think its good game management at all by the referee. To give a 2nd yellow, esp so soon after the 1st yellow, for me, you are really looking for a stick on, something that even the player himself can hold his hands up and basically walk off the park. You are looking for the 2nd yellow here to be one that nobody can argue with. Esp so close to half time, he had ample chance to say to Walker, "look, that's close to 2nd yellow, take the half time and don't give me reason to notice you in the 2nd half". That to me, is game management.
The YC for Everton late on is so typical, it a token red, just to somehow make it seem like both teams played with ten men. damage limitation. If, Oliver is the one calling a 2nd YC for the City player, then I would like to think the referee would be brave enough to say "thanks for your input, am happy just to warn".
then again, its always easy sitting watching the game back from comfort of living room !

I am loath to criticise Madley too much here, as I do think referees have sometimes turned a blind eye to rotational fouling and the like in recent seasons. But punishing Walker so soon after the first yellow for what was a minor offence was ill advised.

Do you think the back pass appeals were rightly waved away? Baines looked as if he was trying to pass back to Pickford, but has Madley seen the deflection off Aguero to be significant or Baines' touch to be a tackle?

Watch there replay, there is no contact with the leading leg at all.
With respect. Please watch this replay. There's contact before the ball from Schneiderlin's leading leg, and contact after the ball from his trailing leg. The last angle on this replay shows it very clearly IMHO:

https://streamable.com/bfcmu

The contact doesn't necessarily mean YC, of course. But I can see why the ref has given it. Careless-reckless borderline for me.

Do you think the back pass appeals were rightly waved away? Baines looked as if he was trying to pass back to Pickford, but has Madley seen the deflection off Aguero to be significant or Baines' touch to be a tackle?
If there was a touch off another player between the deliberate kick to the goalkeeper and the ball actually getting to the goalkeeper, then the requirements for the offence are no longer there.

There was an excellent example of this involving Courtois last year or the year before, where the ball took a slight nick off of the opponent, and the officiating crew (rightly) deemed it a non-call/non-event.

With respect. Please watch this replay. There's contact before the ball from Schneiderlin's leading leg, and contact after the ball from his trailing leg. The last angle on this replay shows it very clearly IMHO:

https://streamable.com/bfcmu

The contact doesn't necessarily mean YC, of course. But I can see why the ref has given it. Careless-reckless borderline for me.
And let's also clarify that a lack of contact doesn't necessarily mean it can't correctly be a yellow!

Back