A&H

Becoming an assessor

The Referee Store
I take my poor handwriting comment back... Had an assessment back today. Fully typed on the computer and was of a very good standard. It even had punctuation! Must be a rarity because my previous one contained every attribute listed above!

Becoming an assessor is something that has interested me but I think I can be overly critical, something that stems from my evaluations of myself as a referee. I can chat to another referee about a game and make it out like I've had the worst game ever when I've had a decent game.

people are often much more critical of themselves than of others. And in the assessor's course they'll teach you how to approach a match.
The capacity to be highly critical is good. When doing the report or discussing it with the referee you can then make the decision on whether to filter out some of your criticisms. As long as your law knowledge and interpretations are up to date, you couch your criticisms in actual coaching, you actually watch the game (I can't tell you how many assessments I've had discussing incidents that I can only presume occurred on the 2nd field next to mine.....it's frightening just how incompetent most assessors I've come across are. I was an assessor myself when I was still refereeing, it's quite rewarding), and....what was my point? i don't know, it's too late.
Just do it. I mean, as a referee you get to ruin the day of players, coaches and spectators. How much more fulfilling will your weekend be when you get to ruin an actual referee's day as well? :D:p:cool:

people are often much more critical of themselves than of others. And in the assessor's course they'll teach you how to approach a match.
The capacity to be highly critical is good. When doing the report or discussing it with the referee you can then make the decision on whether to filter out some of your criticisms. As long as your law knowledge and interpretations are up to date, you couch your criticisms in actual coaching, you actually watch the game (I can't tell you how many assessments I've had discussing incidents that I can only presume occurred on the 2nd field next to mine.....it's frightening just how incompetent most assessors I've come across are. I was an assessor myself when I was still refereeing, it's quite rewarding), and....what was my point? i don't know, it's too late.
Just do it. I mean, as a referee you get to ruin the day of players, coaches and spectators. How much more fulfilling will your weekend be when you get to ruin an actual referee's day as well? :D:p:cool:

I would do it but as a new Level 5 about to turn 21 I feel I've still got a lot to learn myself and wouldn't be overly credible. If I get to Level 4 next season then I'll put the wheels in motion, if I don't, then maybe in a couple of years I'll do it.

I would do it but as a new Level 5 about to turn 21 I feel I've still got a lot to learn myself and wouldn't be overly credible. If I get to Level 4 next season then I'll put the wheels in motion, if I don't, then maybe in a couple of years I'll do it.

Why not just have a season at 5 before pushing upwards?

Why is it so many refs are in an unseemly rush upwards? Ever heard of consolidating what you have learned?

Why is it so many refs are in an unseemly rush upwards? Ever heard of consolidating what you have learned?

Because if I'm not good enough then I won't get promoted.

Your mentality is what do I have to lose in waiting a season, my mentality is what do I have to lose in failing? If I fail 5-4 then I have learned what it takes, I have become a better referee as well as training hard enough to pass the fitness test. I will be a fitter, better referee. If I don't enter the promotion scheme then I don't get the assessments in and have a season without being assessed and any faults I have could potentially stay with me for another season.

I guess it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

1 more year at level X to consolidate on what you have learned will definitely stand you in good stead when you go to move one more step up the ladder.

On the other hand, just going straight for it will either: see you get promoted because you meet the required standard, or you still get another year at level X but with the advantage of also getting assessed as well.

As long as you are mentally able to handle the Fact that you may fail to get promotion first time, enjoy it, push on and whatever will be will be. Feedback from assessments will stand you in good stead for the future even if you fail. You will not get any such feedback not being assessed. :)

If mentally you cannot stand the idea of failure, wait a season and consolidate.

What's the harm in going straight onto level 4 once you have your 5? Very little as far as I can see, yes you might struggle but it will all be assessments in the bank and assuming the assessors have offered decent advice you'll be a better referee for the next attempt.

I went straight from 6-4 what feels like many moons ago, and I learnt more in that first season as level 4 than I have in any one single season in my career. Certainly more than I would have done staying at level 5 and not getting any assessments for a season.

Always my big regret that I didn't start on the promotion path earlier. I was in my late 20s before I started taking refereeing seriously and 33 before I got to level 4, and by the time I got to level 3 I was 38. Would I have gone further if I had started 10 years younger, well that I will never know I guess, but the fact remains that by the time I got as high as level 3 I was too old for FIFA (not that I'm kidding myself that I would have got anywhere near there).

Like it or not refereeing is a young man's game these days. The FA can't fill their FIFA quota so are understandably going to push through young referees to try to rectify this.

Its about the many young referees who are pushed before they are ready, over promoted then bomb spectacularly at level 4+.....shattering their confidence and leaving them disillusioned with the whole process and in some cases making them walking away from the game altogether.......

Seen it happen to varying degrees numerous times........

Those candidates who are identified as "rising stars" are often carefully managed in terms of games given and which assessors are sent to watch them........almost stage managed into their promotions......which of course is far less possible once you hit level 4, hence the over promoted get found out very quickly......

Its about the many young referees who are pushed before they are ready, over promoted then bomb spectacularly at level 4+.....shattering their confidence and leaving them disillusioned with the whole process and in some cases making them walking away from the game altogether.......

Seen it happen to varying degrees numerous times........

Those candidates who are identified as "rising stars" are often carefully managed in terms of games given and which assessors are sent to watch them........almost stage managed into their promotions......which of course is far less possible once you hit level 4, hence the over promoted get found out very quickly......

That seems rather contradictory to what you were saying about the 4-3's on the other post in which I replied saying nobody gets 4-3 without being any good.

Edit: Also, it's worth noting that I'm not being pushed. I qualified in 2012, if I get Level 4 at my first try, I'll have been refereeing 5 years. That's longer than some very good Level 4's.

Stereotypes. Like players, managers and referees, there are great assessors and poor assessors and all manner of those in between

Stereotypes. Like players, managers and referees, there are great assessors and poor assessors and all manner of those in between
These great assessors you speak of...I assume none have made it North West of London...?

Back