A&H

Becoming an assessor

L Hart

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

Out of curiosity, just wondering what the requirements on becoming an assessor are?

The Referee Store
What are the criteria I need to meet to become an FA registered assessor ?

• Be (or have been) at level 6 or higher
  • Substantial refereeing experience
  • Good depth of knowledge of the current Laws of the Game.
  • Able to view a game through the eyes of a referee
  • Able to analyse performance critically and objectively
  • Able to identify a referee’s strengths and areas for development
  • Able to offer solutions to eliminate shortcomings
  • Able to write quality, balanced and honest reports on referees’ performances

Read more at http://www.amateur-fa.com/referees/mentors-assessors-and-tutors#26oBdxUmYIkGsZJU.99

They generally just say that you need a credible refereeing background. In reality this usually means level 5 or above, but sometimes they will allow level 6 and 7s to qualify if they are very experienced.

There is then a full day training even where the trainee assessors watch a referee in action, usually a promotion candidate on the 7 to 6 path, following which there is a discussion of his performance versus the competencies. The trainees then have to a write an assessment of the game, the RDO reviews this and once happy with it the assessor is qualified.

Promising assessors can then be put forward by their county to train as a supply league assessor. Where you go from there is capped by the level you reached as a referee, as there are now rules that you can only assess at the highest level you officiated at when it comes to level 3 and above (this only applies to new assessors, those already assisting at higher levels can stay there).

They generally just say that you need a credible refereeing background. In reality this usually means level 5 or above, but sometimes they will allow level 6 and 7s to qualify if they are very experienced.

There is then a full day training even where the trainee assessors watch a referee in action, usually a promotion candidate on the 7 to 6 path, following which there is a discussion of his performance versus the competencies. The trainees then have to a write an assessment of the game, the RDO reviews this and once happy with it the assessor is qualified.

Promising assessors can then be put forward by their county to train as a supply league assessor. Where you go from there is capped by the level you reached as a referee, as there are now rules that you can only assess at the highest level you officiated at when it comes to level 3 and above (this only applies to new assessors, those already assisting at higher levels can stay there).

I'd read that there is now an assessing pathway right to the top? Think it was something @Brian Hamilton wrote although I may be making that up.

@RustyRef there is no restriction on level of assessing relative to your referee level. The pathway is open to the top (Premier League observer) but according to someone I know, there is no one from grassroots who is yet to show they can progress all the way along that pathway.

Welcome to the Forum chief. They're a friendly bunch

Does this mean, theoretically, that even though I am a level seven, I could become an assessor?

That's interesting as I've been told exactly the opposite. I also know one supply league assessor who is regarded as being senior but he has been told he can't go any higher as he was never a level 4 and therefore never officiated on contributory league football.

Does this mean, theoretically, that even though I am a level seven, I could become an assessor?

You would need to have a huge amount of experience to be considered. I've only ever known of one L7 who became an assessor and he didn't last very long.

Don't forget;

An exemplary record of changing your preferred position at corners every week.

A lack of access to a computer for all but the most trivial of reports.

18 coats.

The ability to write in the rain

The ability to produce a report which has somehow managed to have little semblance to the debrief, is always my favourite.

Hi all,

Out of curiosity, just wondering what the requirements on becoming an assessor are?

You have to have more hate in your heart than that of a normal referee

Exemplary bush hiding skills

Your own specific view on how far into the PA the ref should go

A love of club sandwiches

You also can only be able to count up to 73

Don't forget;

An exemplary record of changing your preferred position at corners every week.

A lack of access to a computer for all but the most trivial of reports.

18 coats.

The ability to write in the rain

And poor handwriting!

@Darius @J-K - both of you have forgotten the most important aspects, liking the sound of your own voice in the de-brief and that refereeing was better 25 years ago....

The ability to produce a report which has somehow managed to have little semblance to the debrief, is always my favourite.

Or even the match assessed :)

I was going to comment with my specific thoughts...but the quoted posts have done it for me!

That's interesting as I've been told exactly the opposite. I also know one supply league assessor who is regarded as being senior but he has been told he can't go any higher as he was never a level 4 and therefore never officiated on contributory league football.
Was my experience as well 3 years ago but times they are a changing. Second season on Contrib coming up

Back