A&H

Average Mark for Promotion to Level 4

The Referee Store
On the other league my average club mark per game was 80 dead on. And the league average for the season ........ 80!!
What's that you said about good refs's down south?

Bet if we swapped we'd both be fish out of water!

@es1 @DanCohen17 @Padfoot

I did think you were talking about assessor marks!

I've averaged 77.2 club marks my 1st year on the Yorkshire pool (assessors were not quite as generous!)

2 assessments this season so far, assesses report included lots of improvements on first assessment, scored 73.
Second report was gleaming he even said it hurt him to praise me so much, scored 74.
Is there some sort of un-written rule regarding scores as on both games I was sure I'd done more than enough to get a higher than needed average score?

2 assessments this season so far, assesses report included lots of improvements on first assessment, scored 73.
Second report was gleaming he even said it hurt him to praise me so much, scored 74.
Is there some sort of un-written rule regarding scores as on both games I was sure I'd done more than enough to get a higher than needed average score?

Your second mark is above average.

Without wishing to sound too negative, in my region those marks wouldn't have gotten you promoted this time.

It could be gleaming in general but if you didn't stand out on Match Control or Application of Law, you'll not score particularly high. Some assessors will praise you to high heaven on fitness, teamwork, etc. but these don't carry a lot of weight unfortunately.

74 is an OK mark by the way, so well done. You just need to be improving on that score a little, as said before you should try to aim for 75 and above as an average.

This makes no sense. The FA haven't announced the criteria for L4 promotion next season or even what the competencies will be, so how have you had two assessments? They could be invalid if the FA change the criteria / competencies.

The marks get tighter and tighter as you go up the levels. Some supply leagues (which you will be heading towards) are exceptionally tight on marks. Be prepared!

This makes no sense. The FA haven't announced the criteria for L4 promotion next season or even what the competencies will be, so how have you had two assessments? They could be invalid if the FA change the criteria / competencies.
Promotion season is March-March, therefore any changes announced this summer wouldn't come into place until the following March

Let me help you with this.

Imagine assessments start, referees happy as games and marks are banked. Why? Because that's how the County FAs who start assessing in March have always done it and they will continue doing it until someone tells them to stop.

The FA then changes the basis for assessment (the competencies), just as they have done in recent seasons, just before the start of the league season. There is also the move to a new assessment report writing system for Supply League (currently used for Contributory League assessments) being implemented in August, which means there is an additional opportunity to realignment the competencies.

The FA completes those changes to the competencies and just as they did a few seasons ago when they reorganised referees into pools, any assessments completed before the change are declared void and those for 5-4 are not used to assess for promotion. Add in the recent move to forcing L3 to make a choice to either referee or assist and the fact that the National Referee Strategy makes reference to extending that further down the pyramid (admittedly not to be implemented yet) and you see there is a massive appetite for change at The FA just now.

So if that happens and considering the new NRS, there is a distinct possibility that those banked marks and banked assessments could be ruled as void.

Would The FA do that and reap what it sows? Who knows.

All I can say is that when I submitted my fist games for assessment as 5-4 after receiving my L5 promotion, this was the response that I received from the CFA:

"HRW,
You cannot submit assessments for level 5 to 4 yet, and this can only be done after you have passed the FA’s fitness test and laws of the game exam. In previous seasons this has not been until September or even October, but you will be notified when you can start submitting games.
Regards,
Promotion Scheme Secretary"

(See, even the CFA call m HRW!!)

Reactions: SM
Promotion season is March-March, therefore any changes announced this summer wouldn't come into place until the following March

Not for 5-4 Dan, the FA usually announce the criteria in June for that actual promotion season. So, as an example, when they announced the change from needing an average of 73 rather than 75 this was done in June, i.e. 3 months into this promotion season. For this reason some counties don't start assessing 5-4 candidates until these criteria have been announced. Also, there's an argument to say that assessing L5-4 candidates before they have passed the fitness test, and attended the FA seminar and passed a LoTG exam there, is a risk as they may be wasted assessments. And in the current financial climate CFAs don't like the potential of wasting money.

Last promotion season, my RDO notified us of the change to the number of middles and lines in about Jan/Feb for 5-4. I get that CFAs don't want to "waste" assessments on candidates who don't meet the other minimum criteria.

The biggest problem (in my eyes) is actually there is nowhere the criteria is clearly available to find. Try googling what the fitness test is for level 5 to 4, or even the promotion criteria. My county has 12 mins for 2500. Derbyshire has 15 middles (rather than the 20 you have to do).

It's a shambles.

On the North Riding CFA website for 2016/17 Promotion Scheme

Level 5- 4 Promotion Candidates

Must attend a Promotion Development Day on Sunday, 22 May 2016 – Acklam Green Centre – 10.00am - 4.00pm

• Receive a minimum of 5 independent technical assessment reports
  • Achieve an average assessment mark of 73 or above
  • Referee a minimum of 15 open age football appointments
  • Must undertake a minimum of 10 assistant referee appointments
  • Inform local assessor coordinator of all appointments received
  • Payment of £25.00 Promotion Administration Fee
  • Be available to officiate within Saturday & Sunday adult football as appointed
  • Submit an annual record of games officiated to the Association when requested
  • Must successfully complete an FA Nomination Fitness Test – Details TBC
  • Must attend an FA Regional Training Seminar and pass written Laws of the Game examination
So they have 15 & 10, compared to other CFA's. There needs to be a national standard for this.

Birmingham

To be eligible for nomination, referees must meet the following current FA criteria:

·Senior County Referee (Level 5) as at 1 March 2016

·Have received at least 5 assessments via the County Football Association (If some County FA's can only achieve 3/4 assessments then the top 50% of the club mark merit table criteria will remain) during the period 1st March 2016 - 28th February 2017

·Achieve an average assessment mark of 73 or above

·Referee a minimum of 20 adult male/female matches in total during the period 1 March 2016 - 28 February 2017. U18 and youth football will not be considered by The FA in the decision making process

·Must undertake a minimum of 10 appointments as Assistant Referee on adult male/female matches during the period 1 March 2016 - 28 February 2017

·Must be prepared to referee Saturday and Midweek matches

·Any referee removed from the Level 4 list at the end of the season must referee at Level 5 for a full playing season before being nominated for a return to Level 4

·Must attend one of a possible 9 regional in-service Nomination Training Sessions, delivered by The Football Association

·Must successfully complete an examination on the Laws of the Game

·Successfully complete a Contributory League Assistant Referee Fitness Test in the period 1 July 2016 – 28 February 2017 prior to nomination. The Standard to be attained is:

·12 minute Continuous Run minimum distance completed 2,600 metres

·2 x 50 metre sprints – max 7.5 seconds for each sprint

On the North Riding CFA website for 2016/17 Promotion Scheme

Level 5- 4 Promotion Candidates

Must attend a Promotion Development Day on Sunday, 22 May 2016 – Acklam Green Centre – 10.00am - 4.00pm

• Receive a minimum of 5 independent technical assessment reports
  • Achieve an average assessment mark of 73 or above
  • Referee a minimum of 15 open age football appointments
  • Must undertake a minimum of 10 assistant referee appointments
  • Inform local assessor coordinator of all appointments received
  • Payment of £25.00 Promotion Administration Fee
  • Be available to officiate within Saturday & Sunday adult football as appointed
  • Submit an annual record of games officiated to the Association when requested
  • Must successfully complete an FA Nomination Fitness Test – Details TBC
  • Must attend an FA Regional Training Seminar and pass written Laws of the Game examination
So they have 15 & 10, compared to other CFA's. There needs to be a national standard for this.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a national standard but some counties increase it? I'd assume you can increase to help you filter through who each CFA will nominate but you can't decrease since meeting those criteria won't necessarily mean nomination. West Riding ask for 20 middles and 10 lines.

It's going to be harder this assessment year to reach L4 from the FA with the big shake up quality is needed over quantity.

If anyone is going for it on here make sure your admin is spot on (same day match reports and whole game, Acknowledge appointments ASAP from FA and clubs)

Back