A&H

Average Mark for Promotion to Level 4

The Referee Store
Guess the applications for promotion will be virtually non existent next marking season then.....only 5-4 candidates will bother, no point for 7-6 & 6-5....

Guess the applications for promotion will be virtually non existent next marking season then.....only 5-4 candidates will bother, no point for 7-6 & 6-5....
Sure you're right that some people will be put off and see little point in 7 to 5 promotion. However, I'd have thought that anyone with aspirations to eventually progress to 4 or higher would still see benefit in being on the 7-5 promotion scheme ... partly to benefit from the advice and insights from (some!) assessors and partly to get used to the whole process whilst getting their face known to the powers that be ...

If I get my 6 after this promotion season, and feel that I was ready to potentially progress to 5 then I'd just email my RDO and see what he recommends.

I actually like getting assessed, as it's the only way I can get feed back on my performance and to find out what parts of my game are lacking and need improvement.

I assume that the removal of 7 & 6 that there may be more assessors/observers available so that those of us at the bottom of the ladder can still get watched for some games so that we can still develop without the early assessments, but I guess we'll need to wait and see how things go.

CFA's are being encouraged to have "informal" grading and steps within level 5, although at the moment I don't think any of them have a clue how that will look. Assessors, or observors as they now are, may I suspect play a part in that.

I just struggle to get how the 1200 or so referees in our CFA are practically going to be graded?

How are two people in an office in Leeds supposed to know how referees in such a wide area should be 'ranked'?

If I get my 6 after this promotion season, and feel that I was ready to potentially progress to 5 then I'd just email my RDO and see what he recommends.

I actually like getting assessed, as it's the only way I can get feed back on my performance and to find out what parts of my game are lacking and need improvement.

I assume that the removal of 7 & 6 that there may be more assessors/observers available so that those of us at the bottom of the ladder can still get watched for some games so that we can still develop without the early assessments, but I guess we'll need to wait and see how things go.
There won't be that many assessors available. From my experience there aren't that many who "only" assess 7-6 and 6-5. The majority operate at Supply and above, so this will only remove the burden of local assessment and mean they are released for more Supply/Contrib games.

I just struggle to get how the 1200 or so referees in our CFA are practically going to be graded?

How are two people in an office in Leeds supposed to know how referees in such a wide area should be 'ranked'?
I wonder how much CFA know about each of those 1, 200 people beyond raw data?

There won't be that many assessors available. From my experience there aren't that many who "only" assess 7-6 and 6-5. The majority operate at Supply and above, so this will only remove the burden of local assessment and mean they are released for more Supply/Contrib games.

Not like that down here. We have around 60 county assessors and of those only two or three also assess at supply league or above.

I think an interesting part will be how CFAs determine who can apply to go to Level 4. I get to because as well as doing the standard criteria (fitness test, LotG exam, attendance at ISTs) I have demonstrated my ability by being promoted to Level 5.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of Level 7 refs with the same amount of experience as me who are good enough, but equally, there are plenty with a whole lot more experience who aren't. How would the CFA decide who to send assessors to? Or is it that all the assessors who would be doing 7-6 and 6-5 are available to 5-4.

i'll still apply. i'm keen to hear some feedback and start working on development points, which i am currently not getting.
pointers on here have been very helpful, as has working with more experienced guys on a handful of occasions, and also the local RA ... but obviously thats all done without them seeing me actioning any of said advice. (i.e when i'm lining i'll pretty much always have a request for any tips from the man in the middle)
so at the minute i'm having to make my own judgement calls on whether i'm moving in the right direction, but i feel i could make swifter progress on the learning curve with that input from an assessor regardless of when the proposed changes will occur.

Back