A&H

Arsenal v Swansea

svenny76

RefChat Addict
So watching MOTD this morning, not knowing any results or incidents.

Xhaka cynically takes out the Swansea player, and I immediately say things like that should be a red, and low and behold Mr Moss shows him a straight red, I think the expectation from everyone in that stadium is a yellow, because, that's what's given every single week.

But fair play Jon Moss for having the balls to show a red, I was expecting Mr Wenger to be moaning like a good un in his post match, but he wasn't to bad saying it was a "dark yellow"

Pundits gave it a very passing comment thinking it was a yellow, I'm guessing they didn't disagree because they didn't go on about it.

Thoughts ??

Is that serious foul play or VC ??

The Referee Store
In real time, looks like a lunge as opposed to a trip and warrants a red. In slow mo, looks more like a yellow. In summary, have no argument against the red being shown. SFP for me.

If that's not a nailed on red card I don't what is! No attempt to play the ball, so it's either a trip or a kick on the opponent.........

I think John Moss was correct with a red for VC, but it does change the definition for a deliberate stopping of play.

It will be interesting to see what comments come out of the FA / PGMOA about this.

If that's not a nailed on red card I don't what is! No attempt to play the ball, so it's either a trip or a kick on the opponent.........

It's definitely a trip and it's definitely deliberate. But since when is that a red card? It's a yellow.

I gather from another forum that Oxlaide Chamberlain said on Sky that players have been warned this season that foul tackles which have no chance of winning the ball will be punished by red cards. The premiership has long failed to apply rules everyone else does (like yellows for dissent & foul throws) and now they're making up their own ones?

That's a yellow for me, it's certainly not SFP, and I didn't see anything it that I could class as VC.
the offending player has made no attempt to play the ball and in my opinion knew exactly what he needed to do to halt his opponents progress
As stated above IMHO RED CARD every day of the week

We'll have to wait to see the outcome of the inevitable appeal.

I think it's one of those decisions which will divide opinion. I can sort of see where the red could come from as depending on where John Moss was it could at full speed look like he lunged at the player,

Then you don't know what is......

Never a red card......Barrow's reaction, going down like he'd been shot by a sniper, made it look 1000% worse than it was......

No excessive force, no endangering the safety of an opponent....no SFP.

No excessive force, no brutality....no VC.

That leaves DOGSO as the only possible reason for the red.........

Good luck selling that one on a Sunday morning........

the offending player has made no attempt to play the ball and in my opinion knew exactly what he needed to do to halt his opponents progress

No argument with any of that. It was a deliberate foul with no chance of winning the ball intended to bring the player down and break up the attack.

As stated above IMHO RED CARD every day of the week

I'd be interested to know which of the criteria for a red car you think that meets. It's not violent, it's not excessive force or endangering anyone, it was in the Swansea half.

I'm very worried about referees saying they don't think that is a red card - even Arsene Wenger, who usually sees nothing, has said he accepts it and they won't be appealing.

Did the challenge use excessive force? My opinion is yes very much so, indeed any force was excessive as he had absolutely no chance of winning the ball. If it was a simple trip or pull I would support the yellow of course, but rather it was lunge at an opponent that made contact, it can't have been a lunge at the ball as it was nowhere near.

Whether it is SFP or VC is neither here nor there as they carry the same sanction. For me though I would say VC as he has kicked an opponent whilst not challenging for the ball.

I'm relatively new (and an Arsenal fan BTW)...but seems to me that it has to be VC for kicking. If it was SFP then you'd have to acknowledge he was trying to play the ball..and if he was playing the ball it doesn't seem excessive so it's YC. My logic anyway. As an Arsenal fan I still concede it's red for VC/Kicking though.

any force was excessive as he had absolutely no chance of winning the ball.

Applying that logic every shirt pull is a red card. You cannot win the ball with a shirt-pull and you are applying a force.

I don't accept that it's violent conduct, although without the benefit of replays I might have done (so I don't blame Moss for his decision). Xhaka makes enough contact to bring Barrow down but no more. He's not trying to hurt him, he's trying to trip him.

Back