A&H

ARS v CIT

The Referee Store
Tomiyasu just been booked for coming up the line on a throw in? That’s what the offence seemed to be. Interesting
He was moved back, Taylor even took him back to where he wanted it from. He's then moved back to where he originally was, it was like the Ederson caution, a really blatant breach of the law. Once he's cautioned Ederson he can't let Tomiyasu get away with that.

I thought that was a masterclass of a performance. Both penalties correct, even if one was marginally offside so overturned, cautions all fine and didn't let players get on top of him. Would have liked to have seen one or more cautions for dissent at the first penalty, but ...

... that has to be a charge from the FA. It wasn't three or four players surrounding him, it was the entire Man City team, this really does have to be stopped. And it is so easy to stop: do it once and you get a suspended points deduction, do it again and you lose one point, again and you lose two points, and so on. It would sort it out more or less overnight.

Thought there was a bit of inconsistency with the cards. Grealish yellow carded for his rant and yet Saka had a stomp down the line to rant at the AR and later had another go at Taylor with no hint of a card.

Honestly don’t know how we’ve got a level 4 ref questioning any of them decisions. If we are wondering why ref abuse will never go away, there’s the answer and from someone that knows the laws better than most.

How come no-one wanted a card for Arteta?

As for charges, I'd have thought that would be for Arsenal fans throwing "harmless missiles" ( © Clive Tyldesley).

Regarding the time wasting, when Webb led PRO in the US he made delaying restarts a very real point of emphasis. Referees often carded in MLS games for kicking the ball away, keepers taking too long, etc. it would not surprise me a bit to see him making this a point of emphasis as he assumes command of PGMOL.

I fail to see how anyone can say that the Ederson play on Nketiah isn't a foul and penalty. Ederson clattered him. It's a clear foul. All of this talk of "the ball was already away" is simply ridiculous.

Last edited:
Regarding the time wasting, when Webb led PRO in the US he made delaying restarts a very real point of emphasis. Referees often carded in MLS games for kicking the ball away, keepers taking too long, etc. it would not surprise me a bit to see him making this a point of emphasis as he assumes command of PGMOL.

I fail to see how anyone can say that the Ederson play on Nketiah isn't a foul and penalty. Ederson clattered him. It's a clear foul. All of this talk of "the ball was already away" is simply ridiculous
The issue is precisely what's being said - they should be given. But they happen frequently in the EPL and haven't been given, till tonight. Same with the time-wasting. Fairly routine for GKs in the EPL but when so many teams take over 20 seconds for a goal kick, Taylor's keenness to penalise it was, shall we say, unusual?

Honestly don’t know how we’ve got a level 4 ref questioning any of them decisions. If we are wondering why ref abuse will never go away, there’s the answer and from someone that knows the laws better than most.
How dare you (a level 6) question a level 4's opinion? ;)

We don't do that hierarchal deference here! AT is human and will make mistakes, it's not sacrilegious to think you might have spotted one.

I can understand where @es is coming from too. Nobody expected a PK regardless of whether it was right or not. They never get given even though they should be.
Aside from the PK, Im uneasy with suprise crackdowns mid-competition, especially when they never last
All that said, AT was excellent

Reactions: es1
I can understand where @es is coming from too. Nobody expected a PK regardless of whether it was right or not. They never get given even though they should be.
Aside from the PK, Im uneasy with suprise crackdowns mid-competition, especially when they never last
All that said, AT was excellent
that's it...

objectively can i see why both decisions were given? of course

ederson was time wasting, he was warned and he was stupid enough to do it again and was rightly booked - i'm ok with this if the same approach is repeated by every ref in every game
same with the penalty, there's clearly contact but you dont see them given. i cant remember the last time i saw a similar offence punished and regularly we see similar incidents not even considered as fouls (shooting/crossing and then fouled) - if they now are/will be then fine, but as above, make sure it's done every game

but the biggest issue you've nailed. changing interpretation and application of specific match incidents (especially those which occur frequently) mid season isn't a great look and is asking for dissent from players/coaches/fans etc.

that's it...

ederson was time wasting, he was warned and he was stupid enough to do it again and was rightly booked - i'm ok with this if the same approach is repeated by every ref in every game
same with the penalty, there's clearly contact but you dont see them given. i cant remember the last time i saw a similar offence punished and regularly we see similar incidents not even considered as fouls (shooting/crossing and then fouled) - if they now are/will be then fine, but as above, make sure it's done every game

but the biggest issue you've nailed. changing interpretation and application of specific match incidents (especially those which occur frequently) mid season isn't a great look and is asking for dissent from players/coaches/fans etc.
I think you can add a caution for telling the ref to F off to the "surprises" last night. That's not been a YC since Rooney got away with it every match.

I think you can add a caution for telling the ref to F off to the "surprises" last night. That's not been a YC since Rooney got away with it every match.
the worst part about that was that a) it clearly was a goal kick and b) saka did very similar 2 mins later at the AR with no action from the ref

that's it...

Looking at other games over the last week, there's evidence the refs are acting in unison, but we've seen it before whereby mid season whims don't last.
WRT the PK, it was a brave decision, but we'd get hammered in our games for pulling that rabbit out the hat in the absence of any appeal. I dont think anybody knew what was going on. Ideally, we don't want surprises in our games.
Anyway, don't fret about it

Ive refrained from posting so far as I haven't seen the game, but I have followed the thread. My oh my the city fans are out in full force. And they won 🙈

a) it clearly was a goal kick and

So what?
Does this excuse it, if the decision was wrong? When you referee do you get every decision correct? And if the answer is you don't is it still ok for players to tell you to F off?

Given there has been a change in leadership it stands to reason there is going to be a shift in expectations on match officials. In reality that shift seems to be more towards applying the laws of the game correctly with less of ignorance to particular laws, so I don't really see how we as referees can really be against it (@Big Cat s mid season Point aside).

my opinion is either wait until Apr for Howard to come in, or allow a transitional period whilst he makes his mark ready to go full force next season.

Ive refrained from posting so far as I haven't seen the game, but I have followed the thread. My oh my the city fans are out in full force. And they won 🙈

So what?
Does this excuse it, if the decision was wrong? When you referee do you get every decision correct? And if the answer is you don't is it still ok for players to tell you to F off?

Given there has been a change in leadership it stands to reason there is going to be a shift in expectations on match officials. In reality that shift seems to be more towards applying the laws of the game correctly with less of ignorance to particular laws, so I don't really see how we as referees can really be against it (@Big Cat s mid season Point aside).

my opinion is either wait until Apr for Howard to come in, or allow a transitional period whilst he makes his mark ready to go full force next season.
you misunderstand (having not watched it - or maybe i wasnt clear) - i'm blaming grealish for appealing for a corner (and then getting booked for dissent) when it was clearly a goal kick

you misunderstand (having not watched it - or maybe i wasnt clear) - i'm blaming grealish for appealing for a corner (and then getting booked for dissent) when it was clearly a goal kick
Yep. Total misunderstanding. I read it as you justifying the dissent 🤦

Reactions: es1
Back