A&H

Are you giving a foul for this shoulder charge

Are you giving a foul for this shoulder charge

• Total voters
The problem with "no surprises" refereeing is that you can end up waiting a few seconds for the "no surprises" criteria to be met and then find yourself facing (not unjustified) accusations of only giving it because one team asked for it. Much simpler to just referee as you see it, and I'd be giving this as the player clearly has no interest in the ball until well after the opponent has been sent flying.

You sell that as giving yourself thinking time.

The Referee Store
The problem with "no surprises" refereeing is that you can end up waiting a few seconds for the "no surprises" criteria to be met and then find yourself facing (not unjustified) accusations of only giving it because one team asked for it. Much simpler to just referee as you see it, and I'd be giving this as the player clearly has no interest in the ball until well after the opponent has been sent flying.
A man after my own heart!
I agree wholeheartedly. I hate this 'no appeal' BS. Just make a decision. These attitudes only promote referee abuse and actively punish teams who respect the referee.
I've had more than a few blatant penalties where I've awarded it with no appeal and there was also no complaint - because it was just obvious.
I remember one where it looked like a blatant penalty, but I know it wasn't - just looked much worse than it was. I didn't even actively promote 'no!', I just didn't respond. It wasn't until the defence had cleared the ball away and started running up the field that the appeals started. sometimes the players just think that it's so obvious they don't need to shout for it.
And sometimes the players don't understand the laws. There are many situations where 22 players on the field may not understand why we give a decision but it's correct - forgetting that fact just perpetuates myths of the game. We're the ones who have read the laws and considered its meaning in far deeper ways than the players have.
This attitude already plagues the game in highly problematic ways. We penalise pushing in the back yet ignore stiff-arming. Things like that - because it's a clear foul, but players don't ap

Hi
It is interesting that the opinion is now 50/50. Looking at the video I would not be giving this. It looks like a mismatch as well in size and the player gets up and gets on with it. Also looking at this in isolation is never good. If the referee has allowed strong shoulder charges in the game up to that point is he then going to call a foul.
Strength has been part of the game and we have to allow fair strong contact in line with the law.

Whilst he looks like he's gonna beat the man for strength all day. For me it's def his momentum into the challenge that gives the striker no chance ven if he were the same size.
I always thought players should be roughly going in the same direction when a "shoulder barge" takes place (not that I can back up this view with anything in the laws)

Whilst he looks like he's gonna beat the man for strength all day. For me it's def his momentum into the challenge that gives the striker no chance ven if he were the same size.
I always thought players should be roughly going in the same direction when a "shoulder barge" takes place (not that I can back up this view with anything in the laws)
Yep - strength is one thing, using momentum to send a player flying is something totally different. I gave a foul for a similar charge on Saturday (middle of the pitch though). Players don't realise charging is an offence, but tend to take the decision relatively well.

I can recall one old "laws of the game" manual that said how to do a shoulder charge - catch the opponent with his weight on the leg away from your shoulder and he's more likely to go over (and then told the "victim" it's no disgrace to be knocked over like that). That one just looked like big player using his weight - charge not barge for me. Compared to the regular tugs and pushes (at top level), that looked nowt.

Back