A&H

Anybody else like being 4th official?

I enjoy it. If you're bored, you're doing it wrong. You absolutely need to be constantly engaged with the game.
Aside from the core part of your role - managing subs/benches etc, let's assume that you're also the replacement referee. That means that, if you come onto the field, you need to make sure you're well aware of who's on a warning (and for what), which players are influencing the game and how, who is in the referee's ear all game - and even what manner of fouls are being called/let go. Because if you come onto the field, it needs to be seamless - and how to replace the referee is probably something that doesn't get discussed enough.
Not only that, but if something happens behind the referee's back and nobody sees it - that's inexcusable. The 4th official, like the AR's (when not otherwise occupied) need to be constantly scanning the field to see what's happening. Especially if there's something potentially causing tension (2 players tangled up and the ball has moved 50 yards upfield, or players running out of the goalmouth on a counter/goalie punt/free kick).
That's on top of keeping a full match record (after everybody else has finished writing).

Reactions: ARF
The Referee Store
There are ways of telling people what you think without offending them, dropping yourself or colleague in it or any admission of guilt. A joke in there usually helps too.

It's called the 'Sh!t Sandwich'.

Acknowledgement, make your point, final acknowledgement.

Manager: '4th official, that was never a foul. What's he given that for? That's an awful decision'

'Obviously we're 40 yards away so we've got far from the best view, but get yourself into a challenge like that and you always risk it going against you. It was a bit of a daft challenge to make though wasn't it? *chuckle and big cheesy grin, touch the point of an elbow* Anyway, if the shoe was on the other foot you'd want a card there! Either way, it's not going to change, you'd best get your lot organised for the free kick'
A West Riding Football League official was recently telling a group of West Riding officials about his encounter with Neil Warnock as the 4th official. Warnock begin to have a go at him over a decision to which the 4th official responded, "Yes Neil, I know, I'm stood right next to you I've got the same view as you."

In my opinion, having never been a 4th official, the best policy is the "I have the same view as you, neither of us have the same view as the referee." Don't argue with them, don't get into disputes, just contain them.

I've done it a couple of times and love it personally. get to stand there, in your tracksuit, nice and warm and get paid to watch a game of football? take some notes, and just generally be prepared to take over lol

Horses for courses I guess.

Just standing around when colleagues are running around enjoying the game just doesn't appeal to me that much.

There are ways of telling people what you think without offending them, dropping yourself or colleague in it or any admission of guilt. A joke in there usually helps too.

It's called the 'Sh!t Sandwich'.

Acknowledgement, make your point, final acknowledgement.

Manager: '4th official, that was never a foul. What's he given that for? That's an awful decision'

'Obviously we're 40 yards away so we've got far from the best view, but get yourself into a challenge like that and you always risk it going against you. It was a bit of a daft challenge to make though wasn't it? *chuckle and big cheesy grin, touch the point of an elbow* Anyway, if the shoe was on the other foot you'd want a card there! Either way, it's not going to change, you'd best get your lot organised for the free kick'

Repeat as necessary for 90 minutes? - Not my idea of a good day out!;)

Well I have to say I really enjoyed last night. Got absolutely soaked and quite chilly but a really good experience, the occasion of a national final made it enjoyable as well.

Back