A&H

Anybody else like being 4th official?

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Personally I love it.

Although I suppose it does play to my strengths - standing still, eating wine gums, watching football and taking the piss out of people.

And you get a trophy for it :)

A good mate and refereeing colleague of mine says he hates it and it's boring.

He obviously doesn't know how to make his own entertainment! :D

The Referee Store
I've only ever done it three times, once with a proper illuminated numbers board - can't say I found them particularly fulfilling.

It is very boring.

Sit down mate only 2 standing. Thanks. x 100

Remember to kick a spare ball on now and again.

Do the subs.

All very static.

Hell yeah. Not as grand as it sounds, no fancy footwork or passing. A gentle side foot to the nearest player

Hell yeah. Not as grand as it sounds, no fancy footwork or passing. A gentle side foot to the nearest player

I suspect you are being disingenuous because I would be seriously miffed if a 4th official on my game was doing anything other than rolling balls on.

:p

Then you would have been miffed. :)

It's a really boring gig. Won't ever volunteer for the gig again. I'm a baked bean for the action. I'd rather be ball boy than 4th official

Then you would have been miffed. :)

It's a really boring gig. Won't ever volunteer for the gig again. I'm a baked bean for the action. I'd rather be ball boy than 4th official

The boredom is only rarely punctuated by the benches moaning at you about decisions taking place on the fop, which obviously you can't a) do anything about or b) say what you really think.

My "highlight" from my most senior one was when the manager wanted to moan at me but didn't know whether to call me ref, lino or something else - "Paul is fine" I said, which did shut him up ......for about 10 seconds!

The boredom is only rarely punctuated by the benches moaning at you about decisions taking place on the fop, which obviously you can't a) do anything about or b) say what you really think.

My "highlight" from my most senior one was when the manager wanted to moan at me but didn't know whether to call me ref, lino or something else - "Paul is fine" I said, which did shut him up ......for about 10 seconds!

There are ways of telling people what you think without offending them, dropping yourself or colleague in it or any admission of guilt. A joke in there usually helps too.

It's called the 'Sh!t Sandwich'.

Acknowledgement, make your point, final acknowledgement.

Manager: '4th official, that was never a foul. What's he given that for? That's an awful decision'

'Obviously we're 40 yards away so we've got far from the best view, but get yourself into a challenge like that and you always risk it going against you. It was a bit of a daft challenge to make though wasn't it? *chuckle and big cheesy grin, touch the point of an elbow* Anyway, if the shoe was on the other foot you'd want a card there! Either way, it's not going to change, you'd best get your lot organised for the free kick'

It's not my favourite job. I did once take a pair of ear defenders in the bag of spare balls and when Mr Gobby started I got them out, said "I thought you'd be here" and put them on. It worked that time and he behaved for a while.
Genuine story.

It's not my favourite job. I did once take a pair of ear defenders in the bag of spare balls and when Mr Gobby started I got them out, said "I thought you'd be here" and put them on. It worked that time and he behaved for a while.
Genuine story.

That's the kind of caper required to ease the tension and get people on board IMHO :)

Watched somebody do it today from the dugout - looks very boring. Struck me that it probably has the same level of interest as umpiring cricket.

Back