A&H

“He need better glasses”

Ex-player

Good evening, hope as a non ref my presence is permissible, I’m interested to hear opinions of whether you would deem “he need better glasses” from a player with no previous offences in the game as an S6 offence?

Regards,

intrigued ex-player.

The Referee Store
Good evening, hope as a non ref my presence is permissible, I’m interested to hear opinions of whether you would deem “he need better glasses” from a player with no previous offences in the game as an S6 offence?

Regards,

intrigued ex-player.
Context, Tone and Volume are key to being able to make a decision as to whether this is a send off, a caution for dissent, a telling off or a sarcastic comment back.

No previous offences is not a relevant consideration for a send off offence (unless its a second caution of course)

Context, Tone and Volume are key to being able to make a decision as to whether this is a send off, a caution for dissent, a telling off or a sarcastic comment back.

No previous offences is not a relevant consideration for a send off offence (unless its a second caution of course)
Thanks for the reply.
context - decision against the players team
Tone - sarcastic (I would guess)
Volume - low (directed to a teammate)

These are always difficult to answer as often it's a You Have To Be There situation.

Based on what you've said personally I don't see it as a send off for OFFINABUS. However bear in mind that different referees have very different tolerance levels.

Game temperature is really important. If I've had lots of low level dissent and have already given a telling off to players (doesn't have to be the one in question that I've spoken to previously), then that might be my point to make an example of a player and sin bin them. If it's starting to bubble up a bit, but not at that point, potentially giving the player the big talking to, with the captain present is the right course of action. A bit less than that and I might just tell the player to behave in passing.

If the game temperature is low and the level of dissent has been low to non existent then I'd most likely come back with something like "yep and my guide dog is sick tonight"

I'm guessing that you've had an incident in a game that you've watched/managed/somehow been involved in and this comment has led to a send off and you are looking for clarity. Sadly without having been there and seen/heard the incident, it's really down to how the referee has interpreted the comment as to how they have decided to address the behaviour.

These are always difficult to answer as often it's a You Have To Be There situation.

Based on what you've said personally I don't see it as a send off for OFFINABUS. However bear in mind that different referees have very different tolerance levels.

Game temperature is really important. If I've had lots of low level dissent and have already given a telling off to players (doesn't have to be the one in question that I've spoken to previously), then that might be my point to make an example of a player and sin bin them. If it's starting to bubble up a bit, but not at that point, potentially giving the player the big talking to, with the captain present is the right course of action. A bit less than that and I might just tell the player to behave in passing.

If the game temperature is low and the level of dissent has been low to non existent then I'd most likely come back with something like "yep and my guide dog is sick tonight"

I'm guessing that you've had an incident in a game that you've watched/managed/somehow been involved in and this comment has led to a send off and you are looking for clarity. Sadly without having been there and seen/heard the incident, it's really down to how the referee has interpreted the comment as to how they have decided to address the behaviour.
Correct, I was watching. Thanks for the insight.

A glasses wearer might find you commenting on their glasses as offensive; it is at least insulting, so a red card is not completely ruled out, or necessarily wrong in law.

As others have said context, environment, temperature of game and behaviour of team/s can all play its part in the eventual decision.

Never a red for me
90% not a yellow for me

Subject to of course not having been there

There are, 30? players on the pitch at different times of the gane, there has to be an understanding and expectation that at some point something not entirely angelic willl be said

just the same as there will be a trip, there will be a handball, there also will be dissent.

Meant to add, in tandem with present day life, we can convert nearly anything into offence,
" keep up with play ref" offensive as implies not fit enough
" two teams on park ref" offensive as inplies might be favouring one
" he aint got a clue" offensive as implies a mental disability
" you having a laugh ref" offensive as implies you aint taking your role seriously
" should have gone to Specsavers" that factually well worn line used nearly every game in countries where referree tops are emblazened by a Soecsavers logo.

and so on.

Offensive blah blah, will find you on the pitch. You dont need to go looking for it, which from how I read the original post, is what happened here.

if you were intent on at least giving recognition to this players act, a simple , " my eyes might not be great but my hearings fine so be careful please" should suffice.

Is calling a vertically challenged 😊 person shorty offensive or insulting? How about a person well endowed in nose size a big nose.
Surly these are just unpleasant and the receiver doesn't like it. Which is different to being offended or insulted.
Let's get a little more controvertial, how about calling an overweight person fatso. Or get into colours, calling a red haired person ginger, a person with white skin Whiteman or a dark skin person....
Every situation has to be looked at on its own merits. Many factors to consider, things like culture and language etc are also amongst them. To stress on this, if anyone thinks OP is a card, would you think the same I'd added context gives the person who said it is also wearing thick glasses?

For me the OP, the way it is described is only unpleasant and deserves a talking to and nothing more. It could change to a sanction if I am there and get more context. I must add, if you yellow card,it is not dissent. It has to be USB.

I think we should keep this simple. If someone insults you directly using a foul and abusive word (or simply what we'd call a swear word), for me they are seeing red.

If someone is merely having a moan, even using foul language, leave them at it. Unless they are persistent and their moaning is starting to influence others.

As mentioned, enough trouble finds us as referees and we really don't need to be going looking for it.

In a game on Sunday a player was having a moan, I ignored them and they then escalated this moan to calling me 'delusional' - I pulled out the yellow. It had the desired effect and I didn't hear from anyone else during the game. In another game would I have given this yellow? I don't know, I just know in that game and at that moment with that player it's what was needed.

In a game on Sunday a player was having a moan, I ignored them and they then escalated this moan to calling me 'delusional' - I pulled out the yellow. It had the desired effect
Some food for thought. Do you think if you had not ignored the moan and given him a public warning, it may have stopped the escalation and helped you avoid cautioning him?

Some food for thought. Do you think if you had not ignored the moan and given him a public warning, it may have stopped the escalation and helped you avoid cautioning him?
So this was all as one incident, previously I noticed he had been moaning at his team mates but not at me, though he stuck out as the loudmouth of the team. The ball was in play and his opposition were on the attack when he began his dissent (he was angry I didn't stop play for an attacker of his clutching their ankle). I made a mental note and said I'd get back to him for a chat. He continued though and then came out with his 'delusional' comment. So what was only going to be a warning from me became a yellow because of that specific word.

So this was all as one incident, previously I noticed he had been moaning at his team mates but not at me, though he stuck out as the loudmouth of the team. The ball was in play and his opposition were on the attack when he began his dissent, I made a mental note and said I'd get back to him for a chat. He continued though and then came out with his 'delusional' comment. So what was only going to be a warning from me became a yellow because of that specific word

I have been called lots of things, sometimes things I dont even know what they are, but cant recall ever hearing delusional on a football park

where you reffing the annual Oxford v Cambridge uni match?

I have been called lots of things, sometimes things I dont even know what they are, but cant recall ever hearing delusional on a football park

where you reffing the annual Oxford v Cambridge uni match?
Well I thought the exact same if i'm honest, it was a new one for me too 😂 It had people on the touchlines in stitches

I'd add these were 14 yr olds, which added to making the whole thing so funny. If it was an adults game I probably wouldn't have set such a precedent.

Well I thought the exact same if i'm honest, it was a new one for me too 😂 It had people on the touchlines in stitches

I'd add these were 14 yr olds, which added to making the whole thing so funny. If it was an adults game I probably wouldn't have set such a precedent.

Think I be crediting the offender for a fine choice in words

Not the same but close, I once had a player stopped in his tracks by an opponent kinda shoulder blocked, sending him flying but unhurt
as he got up, he shouted " thats a clothes peg ref"

which led to everyone, including himself a few secs later when he realised what he had said, and me, just standing there crying
quick word with the offender, " no more clothes pegs please" and we carried on.

That’s not a red for me.

maybe a caution (sin bin) for dissent depending on the volume and tone etc.

id be more inclined to let it go if it I s said in exasperation, than if the player ran halfway across the pitch to scream it at me.

but as has been said already, it’s one where you really have to be there to make a judgement on it.

Back