A&H

Junior/Youth Youth Refereeing Tolerance Levels

Blackers19

Level 7 Referee
Hi all.

After 8 months of trying, I finally got on to a local youth league, and am hoping to have some games in the next few weeks :) . The age groups range from friendly U10s, to competitive 11-a-side U16s. I was wondering how to approach cautions and dismissals as you move up through the age groups. I'm not sure what offences you would take a more lenient approach to and which offences would be no different to open age football.

Thanks
Blackers

The Referee Store
I referee a lot of u10s matches, and just let them get on with it. Obviously there getting older so need to start knowing a foul from a fair tackle, but i normally play it by if they get the ball then play on. Makes the stronger and tougher, the coaches are fine with it and you're not getting any shouts from the sidelines of 'that was never a foul.' Just speak to the managers pre game and tell them you're gonna let the game flow as much as you can, they'll be fine with it.

Obviously any tripping or dangerous fouls, give a free kick, and make sure all the technical stuff is done correctly, i.e. throw in, penalty area empty at the goal kick etc. Just talk to the players during the match and the managers, it's only mini soccer so the sides can hear what you are saying, they'll respect you if you call no foul or got the ball and it shows them you've not missed a foul, or potential foul!

That's my take on it, obviously everyones different, and hopefully you'll get some more feedback from other referees who work with the older age groups!

I referee a lot of u10s matches, and just let them get on with it. Obviously there getting older so need to start knowing a foul from a fair tackle, but i normally play it by if they get the ball then play on. Makes the stronger and tougher, the coaches are fine with it and you're not getting any shouts from the sidelines of 'that was never a foul.' Just speak to the managers pre game and tell them you're gonna let the game flow as much as you can, they'll be fine with it.

Obviously any tripping or dangerous fouls, give a free kick, and make sure all the technical stuff is done correctly, i.e. throw in, penalty area empty at the goal kick etc. Just talk to the players during the match and the managers, it's only mini soccer so the sides can hear what you are saying, they'll respect you if you call no foul or got the ball and it shows them you've not missed a foul, or potential foul!

That's my take on it, obviously everyones different, and hopefully you'll get some more feedback from other referees who work with the older age groups!
Thanks a lot for the advice :)

U10's, if it's a red card offense in your opinion don't send them off but get them subbed and explain to the player why they're having to go off so they learn. Only use red as a last resort or any cards for that matter.
If league ruling's state no cards at U10's then its obviously just get the player subbed off.

John White pretty much sums up my approach to under 10s refereeing - we are there more to educate than to punish at that age, so help the kids along.

Get a bit tougher each grade 'up' you go, but at u16s they should be able to deal with the full LOTG and sanctions as per open-age.

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone! Just wondering at what age you would dismiss as opposed to substitute for things like DOGSO?

I;d say when you hit 11v11, wouldn't bother with it at 9v9 because they're just getting used to the offside rule, but definitely if they are playing 11 a side then give a red for a DOGSO

Wot John says - at 11 v 11 it's full regulation for me.

Only time I would consider red-carding a junior is for violent conduct or incredibly dangerous play.

Got my fixture through, an under 16s match (yikes, almost older than me :eek:). My next question is what sort of stuff to say to the captains at this age?

Thanks for all the advice so far :)

Keep it simple. Something like "enjoy it lads" would suffice.

Tell them your name, shake hands, find out their names. Give home captain the coin, tell him to toss & catch it. Tell away captain to call in the air.

Done.

Back