A&H

You're the best , no, the worst ...

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
2 weeks ago I was both "deaf and blind" having sent someone off for something I didn't see ( ?! ) and therefore the worst they've had this season ... For the record it was a headbutt and the player in question had no complaint , and then this week it's " fabulous ref , you should be on the telly ! " difference being no cautions no reds, nothing today . A very good game of football which was drawn 2-2
I'm learning to respond to both types of comments in the same way, which is just to smile politely and then forget about it n just crack on regardless .... Weird business we're in

The Referee Store
I had the you have ruined the game ref!! after sending off a player for for foul and abusive he gave a way a free kick and both me and my assistant (i blew and he waved) at the same time. He then turned to me and said your ****ing **** ref, he seemed rather suprised when the red came out. Had 5 yellows and the red the 5 yellows were all C1 FT's for some pretty reckless challenges, it was a horrible game of football in the end and me and the assistants did not enjoy it as one team did not want to play football but somehow its my fault and only about 3 of their players shook our hands.

I had the you have ruined the game ref!! after sending off a player for for foul and abusive he gave a way a free kick and both me and my assistant (i blew and he waved) at the same time. He then turned to me and said your ****ing **** ref, he seemed rather suprised when the red came out. Had 5 yellows and the red the 5 yellows were all C1 FT's for some pretty reckless challenges, it was a horrible game of football in the end and me and the assistants did not enjoy it as one team did not want to play football but somehow its my fault and only about 3 of their players shook our hands.
i hate when they dont shake your hand, but even that i am learning to move on from relatively quickly. yesterday i had two players come into the changing rooms after as they missed shaking my hand on the pitch, its all just swings and roundabouts from week to week highs and lows, peaks and troughs :rolleyes:

I had nowhere near that. Yesterday was refereeing a youth game. It was 2 mins from the end and these two players collided both looking at the ball one got winded. At first I didn't see him on the floor, I did a couple of seconds later and the ball rolled out of play. I stopped it, the coach came on and so did their parent who was physio and as he got the guy up, the parent said, as I was stood their, we will take you off because the ref is just letting you foul them and is being awful!!!!

I had nowhere near that. Yesterday was refereeing a youth game. It was 2 mins from the end and these two players collided both looking at the ball one got winded. At first I didn't see him on the floor, I did a couple of seconds later and the ball rolled out of play. I stopped it, the coach came on and so did their parent who was physio and as he got the guy up, the parent said, as I was stood their, we will take you off because the ref is just letting you foul them and is being awful!!!!
wow, what age group was that ? if they really young then theres always going to be that issue of its mummys (or daddys) little soldier whos getting hurt, so understandable from a certain point of view, however the attitude that its your fault is an unacceptable thought to put in the players head. The attitude should be an understanding from the parents point of view that its a physical game and there will always be fouls, tackles and general contact that will lead to players getting hurt. thats all just part of the game

I was definitely the worst this weekend. For the home team I was "a waste of £40" and for the away side I "cost them 3 points....again". I guess the thing is, when both teams say something negative, it is hard not to let it affect you.

This was two very difficult sides, and the game included one player mysteriously ending up with a wonky nose after something I didn't see (hence the waste of money quote) and me awarding a penalty (in the 60th minute) which supposedly cost the away side a win. Try to move on...

I was definitely the worst this weekend. For the home team I was "a waste of £40" and for the away side I "cost them 3 points....again". I guess the thing is, when both teams say something negative, it is hard not to let it affect you.

This was two very difficult sides, and the game included one player mysteriously ending up with a wonky nose after something I didn't see (hence the waste of money quote) and me awarding a penalty (in the 60th minute) which supposedly cost the away side a win. Try to move on...
yup, i hear ya ... even when you know you've done the right thing that drive home can be a little depressing

wow, what age group was that ? if they really young then theres always going to be that issue of its mummys (or daddys) little soldier whos getting hurt, so understandable from a certain point of view, however the attitude that its your fault is an unacceptable thought to put in the players head. The attitude should be an understanding from the parents point of view that its a physical game and there will always be fouls, tackles and general contact that will lead to players getting hurt. thats all just part of the game
I think it was U12. There had been several tackles on this player but he got straight up from all of them and didn't complain (apart from that one and even then he didn't complain). I just thought what the dad said to me was a one off thing. They were losing 10-0 and I knew that I had had a very good game.

Apparently I have been the worst ref ever, I need to go to specsavers, I have ruined the game, its my fault a game got abandoned, I haven't got a clue about the rules, I am biased and clearly one sided there is no point playing anymore

I only started in august!!!

Season 2015/2016
Games - 51
Middle - 47
Line - 4

not a bad tally, nearly 9 games a month, and thats including a couple of months where you mustve had games called off !
:)

Season started Sept 5th, I usually do Saturdays & Sundays each weekend and have been pretty lucky with games not being called off or when they have been called off have been reappointed

"You're the best referee we've ever had"
"You were so biased against us, I can't believe you are allowed to referee"
Captain and centre back of the same team after winning 11-0.

Since then I have never expected any plaudits and am fully prepared for everyone on both sides, and shep, to hate me. But I really try to work the middle without this thought affecting my approach or decisions. I try to help football be fun if I can.

Back