A&H

you are the ref...

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
what would you do

0.45 on this clip (don't worry, it's not basketball)

for novelty entertainment value, the Peterlee egg jarping contest at the beginning of the clip takes some beating

Last edited:
The Referee Store
drop ball on the edge of the penalty area, but not sure whether red for DOGSO or yellow for entering FoP (or do you give both?)

I can't see how this can be DOGSO as he's a valid player who has played the ball legally.
He's guilty of re-entering play without your permission; I don't think that's a free-kick offence, so play continues and he gets a Yellow Card at the next stop in play.

Indirect FK where the player headed the ball (Or on edge of the goal area) - In the loaf this would probably fall under 'commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player'
Red card for DOGSO -
denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
They've committed a offense punishable by a free kick, so to me, it's DOGSO

I found the clip on the 'asktheref' site.
Below is the answer that one of their referees gave.
i queried their answer for the same reason that jpm has given above, i.e. as per interpretation of law 3, 'player outside the field of play', pg 65 of current lotg handbook plus their incorrect understanding of Dogso
Their reply was also incorrect in that the player can enter the fop over the goal line when play is stopped, with the ref's permission, of course - tho' i let that one go :)

The idfk, by the way, is for stopping play to caution the player for entering the pitch without the referee's permission - to be taken from the position of the ball when play was stopped

'As the player was off the field of play receiving treatment he must wait for the referee's permission to re-enter the field of play and can only do so at a touchline.
In this scenario the player is cautioned for re-entering the field of play without permission and the restart is an indirect free kick from where the ball was when play was stopped which in this case will be on the 6 yard line as it happened inside the goal area.
By the way the player cannot be sent off for his action. He would have to do something more such as deliberately handling of the ball (DOGSO H), commit a foul that meets the four criteria for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity (DOGSO F) or commit a foul requiring a 2nd caution. Kicking or heading the ball in play does not merit a caution.
Also prevention is better than cure. It is always a good idea to move the injured player to the touchline in these situations rather beside the goal, the player is going to have to come on from the touchline anyway. While we don't do it perhaps forcefully enough it is also a good idea to remind players to wait for the signal to return.
An interesting aside here is that once the player stepped back on to the field of play he had to be taken into account in determining offside even though his action was illegal. It is assumed as the physio was present that the player was removed for treatment by permission.'

Haywain, just as a slight addition - you said he cannot be sent off unless DOGSO/DOGSOH/2nd cautionable offence from a foul. He can be sent off for ANY 2nd cautionable offence. Had he already been on a yellow card, he would have been dismissed here as he would have received a second yellow for entering without permission

Surely he's answered his own question? If there is an IDFK, a foul has taken place, meaning someone is legible for DOGSOF

Definitely not DOGSO. YC for entering without permission, 100%, although the restart...I have no idea! @Brian Hamilton - any thoughts?
Caution for re-entering the field without the referee's permission as he has already entered and left the field with the referee's permission, but he hasn't had permission to re-enter. He doesn't become a problem until he plays the ball and if the game is stopped solely to administer the caution, then the restart is an IDFK to the atatcking team.

I would point out that the game should have been stopped before the offender plays the ball because the attacker to whom the ball is played, appears to be in an offside position. This is because the goalkeeper becomes the second rear most defender, having advanced out of his goal. The defender who re-enters the field is discounted for the purposes of adjudging offside because he has left with the referee's permission. See photo below ...

upload_2014-1-31_19-20-44.png

It looks like the Referee is the third last defender, even if we discount the player who has come back onto the pitch

As for discounting the player who re-enters the field, is that correct?

interpretation of law 3, players outside the field of play says that 'if....a player re-enters the field of play without the referee's permission, the referee must stop play (although not immediately if the player does not interfere with play or if the advantage can be applied)

'Not immediately' suggests, to me at least, that it is acceptable for the player to be on the field of play and, consequently, he should be considered in any decision regarding offside

Interestingly, too, the idfk is taken from the position of the ball when play was stopped and not from where the incident occured...which could be well outside the penalty area depending on how quickly the referee blows his whistle.

Whatever the right answer is, the defender has prevented a 'certain' goal and the punishment, whatever it may be, would appear to benefit the defending side more than the attacking side, which just has to be wrong.

Last edited:
I believe that is either an AAR or an AR slow to reposition after a penalty kick. He did interfere with play and there was no advantage to the attacking team.

technically, the referee allowed the advantage until the player headed the ball. in reality he probably didn't realise what had happened until the player headed the ball

Back