A&H

You Are The Ref - 2018 Book version (Part 1)

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Finally got round to doing a fair chunk of these last night. Most I agreed with - sure Mr Hackett will be pleased! However a couple really bugged me so asking my esteemed colleagues on here who is correct!

Question = As a striker takes a wild swing at the ball, a lump of mud flies off his boot and temporarily blinds the goalkeeper. The ball rolls into the net. Goal or Goal?

Answer = No goal. You should really have blown the whistle before the ball rolled into the goal. As it is restart with a dropped ball. (Goeson to state that if mud thrown deliberately its obviously punished etc etc

Would anyone on here be disallowing the goal for what to me is just bad luck. Can the pitch, or part of it at least, be classified as 'outside Interference'? which seems to be the implication here?

Thoughts? Thanks

The Referee Store
If the goalkeeper (or any player for that matter) has an eye injury then we should stop the match. That's "serious". So in LOTG theory Hackett has a point. Now, if the GK gets the mud in the face and the ball rolls into the net a half second later, then I'm giving the goal. You need a second or two to process that something happened to the GK and that he got hit in the eye.

Answer = No goal. You should really have blown the whistle before the ball rolled into the goal.

Pft... I'm probably taking this too literally but... If he's taken a cannon of a shot, chances are the ball is in the net before you have a chance to figure out what has gone on regarding the mud. And then, who is to say the mud has stopped the keeper in that instance from making a save?

I'm not going to stop play in that instance tbh, though it's a rare thing, when it's happened to outfield players, generally they just have to get on with it, usually followed by running off for a spare water bottle to deal with the issue.

Though, I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.

Back