A&H

Yes! Mignolet gets nailed for >6 seconds. :-)

frank_ref

If you haven't seen it - Liverpool vs Bordeaux. Mignolet holds the ball too long and the ref awards an indirect free kick. Finally!

And whaddya know? Bordeaux score.

"They've just counted it and it was 20 seconds," says the BBC.

The Referee Store
You know what would be awesome? If 6 seconds was actually applied. Like everything else, absolutely no reason for it not to be. But it would need to be applied universally.

Klopps face when he was told how long mignolet has the ball was interesting. He went from "strange ref decision" to "oh...."

I haven't seen the game but if it was genuinely 20 seconds this is an incredible length of time. Even 6 seconds is surprisingly long when you count it out so 20 must have seemed like an eternity.

Last match for UEFA referee ?
They don't normally apply law correctly.

Who else is now more likely to penalise a GK for this now that a 'TV ref' has done it first !?!?

I'm guessing the ref and / or the AR and / or the AAR is shouting at the GK to encourage him to release the ball - same as we all probably do (rightly or wrongly) - very publically - then an easier sell if we have go for it :)

Who else is now more likely to penalise a GK for this now that a 'TV ref' has done it first !?!?

If the GK was holding the ball for 20 second I'd have been penalising him even before seeing this. Most of us probably give a bit of leeway and advance warning in such situations but I've never counted more that 9/10 seconds - 20 seconds is a hell of a long time.

You are probably correct though - expect a surge in IDFKs at all levels of the game this coming wekend!

I love it when players start pointing out a keeper who they think is holding the ball too long - the speed at which they count!

Counting to six isn't the same as counting to six seconds. ;)

Players who start counting from six make me laugh. Real time, about 2 seconds

I just laugh and say, lost my count now... Need to start again... 1...

Back